DO NOT JOG ON THE TREADMILL

Options
So i decided to register at a gym yesterday........after so many months of laziness and weight gain. And the 'trainer' starts me off with warm up, then takes me to the treadmill. Just directly in front, there is a big sign saying:

" DO NOT JOG OR RUN ON THE TREADMILL, JUST WALK AT THE PACE GIVEN TO YOU".

And then i asked him why he says:

1. You burn more fat brisk walking than jogging
2. You are less likely to get injured running or jogging, so by telling us to walk, they are helping us prevent those injuries.

i told him i didnt believe that. I believe everyone has the right to walk or run on the treadmill, depending on what they want. He probably thinks the lifespan of his treadmill would be longer if we didnt run on it.

Shrewd Gym owner!!!!!!!!

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'd advise:
    RUN DON'T WALK OUT OF THAT GYM!!!

And that fat advice is so outdated. You burn a greater percentage of calories from fat going slower for longer, sure, but more calories overall in the same time and a greater total from fat running.
  • prettylittlechubby
    Options
    HA what a strange gym!!!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I believe everyone has the right to walk or run on the treadmill, depending on what they want.
    No, you don't have the right to use someone else's equipment in violation of their rules.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Run to another gym!!!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Worse. Gym. Ever.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Walk right out of that gym and find a real one.

He had a few semi-valid points but they were wrong. 1. you aren't "burning fat" by walking or running, you're creating a caloric deficit. 2. he's right that walking is safer than jogging but they have no business not allowing people to jog or run.

That gym is clearly not dedicated to providing results or allowing people to train.
    so find a new one
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd advise:
    RUN DON'T WALK OUT OF THAT GYM!!!

This!!!

Yeesh... if all I was going to do was walk on a treadmill, I'd just as soon walk laps at the mall and not have to pay a membership fee.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    It definitely sounds like he is trying to prevent a lawsuit - by posting the sign if someone gets hurt he can say, well I posted the sign and they ignored it. You do burn more running than walking.

I would be running not walking out of that gym for sure!!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Run away! Wow. What horrible advice!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I don't trust personal trainers. I don't think they actually have any idea what they are talking about.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    20qc2kg.jpg
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Technically, he is right about the first. You burn more calories walking at an uncomfortably fast pace than jogging at a slow pace.

however, that rule is just stupid. Treadmills are made for running.
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    That's just crazy pants. I agree with the others.. Run, don't walk, right out of that gym.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I'm one of the few people that uses the treadmills that isn't jogging/running but everyone I see doing it is not in danger of hurting themselves. I think most people would have the common sense to not set the pace for it if they believed they did.

That being said if that's one of their rules and you don't agree with it, you have two choices: stay there anyway or find a gym with less restriction on certain equipment. The biggest restriction at the one I attend is all cardio machines must be limited to 30 minutes. (unless it's one of the two treadmills set to go for 60 minutes and they're clearly labeled)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    2. You are less likely to get injured running or jogging, so by telling us to walk, they are helping us prevent those injuries.

You're also far less likely to get injured sitting on the couch. Maybe they should install a bunch of those and have a SUPER safe gym!

Gotta take a little risk, yes running can hurt, but you'll live. Safety is important but that just seems extreme. I can't imagine being at a gym with the philosophy "Nobody move quickly! You could get hurt!"
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Technically, he is right about the first. You burn more calories walking at an uncomfortably fast pace than jogging at a slow pace.

however, that rule is just stupid. Treadmills are made for running.

Yeah but you burn more calories in a shorter space of time running than walking, which directly effects the amount of fat you burn.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    isn't injury a legit concern if you are significantly overweight? seems like walking would be better for the time being.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    That's definitely bizarre. They'll change their rules when they continue to lose members who want to up their fitness levels!
  • TrishaRN_74
    TrishaRN_74 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It's actually best to walk, then jog, then walk, then job...the change in pace increases your metabolism and burns more calories. I'm doing the C25K with my hubby, and we have a 1 mile route mapped out in our neighborhood, and we just use that. We don't have to pay any gym fees! Since I started doing C25K two weeks ago, I've lost about 5 pounds (with eating better, too.)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    That's so dumb. Sorry, it just is.

The treadmill goes that fast so people can run or jog on it. It also goes slower so people can walk on it. And the incline goes up and down too. You can hurt yourself running or jogging outside probably a lot more easily than you can on a treadmill! At least, I know I've only hurt myself running outside and never on the treadmill!

I'm thankful my gym doesn't really have rules for the cardio equipment aside from "use at your own risk."