DO NOT JOG ON THE TREADMILL

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the owner is afraid of liability. Find another gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Technically, when you walk, you burn a higher PERCENTAGE of fat calories to muscle calories. However, when you consider that running burns more overall calories, you still end up burning more fat calories by running. So, to get that perfect fat cal burn like the sign suggests, you have to go slow, and you have to go forever.

Maybe you should find a nice park with a nice trail, and go for a run there while wearing a shirt that says, "Screw you stupid expensive gym."

Hahaha, I like this idea! The OP could even work out a route that goes right past the gym!
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss and fat loss I was told to walk at 3.5 or so then run jog at 5 mph or high with an incline then down to 3.0 ect for 20 or so minutes changing every few minutes My treadmill does it for me but its been helping me i think
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I believe everyone has the right to walk or run on the treadmill, depending on what they want.
    No, you don't have the right to use someone else's equipment in violation of their rules.

Wow, grumpy much? Indeed, but YOU have the right to ask for your money back and get the *snap* out of there. Be sure to take a look around before registering at a gym.
    I really don't understand this reaction. She stated her opinion and I disagreed. I'm getting grumpy now because of your reaction.

Really? This is all it takes to get you grumpy? Stick around, I'm sure it'll get worse.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    20qc2kg.jpg
    misc-jackie-chan.jpg
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't trust personal trainers. I don't think they actually have any idea what they are talking about.

That's a pretty broad generalization. Like any profession, there are those that are good at it and those that are not. If you don't take the time to research a trainer and get a bad one, I think that's on you.

I do not need to take time to research personal trainers. I do not need one, what I am doing is working wonderfully.

I didn't say you need a trainer. My point was you shouldn't generalize about all personal trainers, just as you shouldn't generalize about all doctors or all accountants or all waitresses. There are PTs who do know what they're talking about and have spent a lot of time getting educated and learning their profession :noway:
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Run to another gym!!!

Agree 100% - find a gym where you can use the equipment you are paying to use.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    o_O

I would jog right out the door with a refund in hand.
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    I'm glad I have a treadmill at home so I can walk, jog, or run whenever I want.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    How effing stupid.
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    20qc2kg.jpg
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This is the problem with private ownership of businesses. If ALL gyms were owned and run by the government we would have standardized rules across all the gyms and no one would be trasumatized by such awful owners!

I HOPE that was sarcasm
    :huh:
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    This is the problem with private ownership of businesses. If ALL gyms were owned and run by the government we would have standardized rules across all the gyms and no one would be trasumatized by such awful owners!

I HOPE that was sarcasm

Your coment, attitude and IP address have been duly noted by the National Security Agency's Re-Education Directorate. Once martial law is declared in 2014 your kind will be made to pay for your your insolence!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's actually best to walk, then jog, then walk, then job...the change in pace increases your metabolism and burns more calories.

??????

Would I be correct in assuming you're comparing walk / run to straight walking? Minor point - it increases your heart rate (not metabolism) which burns more calories. You increase your RMR by increasing you lean muscle mass.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I believe everyone has the right to walk or run on the treadmill, depending on what they want.
    No, you don't have the right to use someone else's equipment in violation of their rules.

Wow, grumpy much? Indeed, but YOU have the right to ask for your money back and get the *snap* out of there. Be sure to take a look around before registering at a gym.
    I really don't understand this reaction. She stated her opinion and I disagreed. I'm getting grumpy now because of your reaction.

Really? This is all it takes to get you grumpy? Stick around, I'm sure it'll get worse.

Alright, y'know what, lay off. The person wasn't being a jerk, it was pure fact. If the OP signs up at that gym, they agree to use the equipment in the way the gym states in their rules and posted signs, they don't just have the right to do what they want. If they did, they'd be kicked out. Same goes for someone who, say, starts throwing the dumbbells at people because they feel they have the right; that person would be thrown out for rule violation. That's all they were stating. It doesn't make them grumpy, it doesn't mean they need a hug or that they're sensitive emotionally.

Straight up if it's not yours, you don't have the right to do whatever you please with it, especially when you're using it in a place that's not your house and you're paying someone else to use it. If they say no running/jogging on the treadmill, you either do not become a member if you don't agree with that or you deal with it. Simple.
  • chipvb
    chipvb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    They're crazy, of course you burn more calories running than walking
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Alright, y'know what, lay off. The person wasn't being a jerk, it was pure fact. If the OP signs up at that gym, they agree to use the equipment in the way the gym states in their rules and posted signs, they don't just have the right to do what they want. If they did, they'd be kicked out. Same goes for someone who, say, starts throwing the dumbbells at people because they feel they have the right; that person would be thrown out for rule violation. That's all they were stating. It doesn't make them grumpy, it doesn't mean they need a hug or that they're sensitive emotionally.

Straight up if it's not yours, you don't have the right to do whatever you please with it, especially when you're using it in a place that's not your house and you're paying someone else to use it. If they say no running/jogging on the treadmill, you either do not become a member if you don't agree with that or you deal with it. Simple.

:smooched:
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've met people who refuse to run because they say they don't want to mess up their knees. Instead they walk at a brisk pace. Know someone else who has a HUGE fear of falling on a treadmill if they try to run...so they just walk at a brisk pace. To each their own. *shrugs*

As for that rule in a GYM, that's just odd & I'd be finding a different gym if that were me.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Fact - I've burnt over 2500 Cals running (for 3 hours/ 20 miles). I've never done this walking, but I guess walking a few more miles would be the same number of calories. It would also take me ALL DAY.

nuff said.
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options

I HOPE that was sarcasm

Your coment, attitude and IP address have been duly noted by the National Security Agency's Re-Education Directorate. Once martial law is declared in 2014 your kind will be made to pay for your your insolence!!

HA! Let them try..by that time, I will have become lean and mean...They better send an army.