Why do you care what other people think?

Options

Replies

• leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    troll alert!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I think we all care what others think more than we want to let on. There is some power dynamics involved in presenting a "not caring" attitude. I think the difference is how much we let it control our lives, our decisions, our thinking/emotions/etc.

Maybe I'm hung up on definitions/semantics and when you say you couldn't care less, what you mean is that other people's opinions have very little affect on your life. I guess some might say that the same thing as not caring. I'd still say that there is an effect initially - a reaction (caring) of some kind. But experience, emotional development, intrinsic personality, cultural influences, etc. all come into play with what happens next. For you, it may just be a blip and it's gone. For others it might be very emotional or even devastating.

I agree about the idea of words only having the power YOU/I/anyone gives them. However, convincing others of that can be a tough sell. Consider offensive words like racial epithets. Where is the line between my choice of a word and the meaning you attach to it? Am I responsible at all for any of the meaning you attach to it? Sorry, maybe that's veering off into a different discussion altogether.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Because humans are a herd animal and no one wants to be left out of the herd.
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have my two daughters and their opinions of me matter, but other than that I don't give much thought to what others think. Most people are morons and since they are really low on the food chain their opinions mean nothing.

(I hope the above statement comes off just as pompous as it does in my head! :wink: )
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    My life became a lot better when I learned not give give a flying f*** about what other people think. I am not on this earth to impress anyone else.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    troll alert!
    Just because I don't care what other people think, that makes me a troll?
  • needtolose50lbs
    Options
    I choose to be a Godly father for my daughters and don't ask others if they approve or not. I'm not perfect nor do I claim to be. However, I know when I screw up and don't need others to put their 2 cents in. I'm my own worse critic and don't care to hear their rendition repeated over and over.

I do care that people see me as example of how fathers should behave, but as far as what they think? I have no control over other people feelings or thoughts and I refuse to give myself that much credit or blame in the matter.

That's deep, huh? Sorry...

Amen to that!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    See I'm a free spirt and you either love me or you don't. I take pride in that I've always marched to my own beat.

But deep inside I wonder if I'm too much to handle and if people think I'm too "wild".

Then I go back to "F them!" Take it or leave it. I am what I am... always have been.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't care what other people think of you if you knew how seldom they do.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If I don't understand their motivations, their preferences, and their beliefs...how the f*** else am I supposed to take advantage of them???
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    i think i care so much because I'm so used to being judged. and in a bad way. so i do everything i can to be accepted i guess. i mean i know that sounds sad and bad but like being judged by everything (by your own father) has basically made me hate myself. so i try to please everyone because i'm afraid of being hated and not good enough. i was never good enough for my dad so now i have to please everyone else.
    I get that. But listening to people is what got you there in the first place. And I completely realize that's easy for me to say.

You are a friend of mine and that makes you awesome...not that you should listen to me.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    Just because I don't care what other people think, that makes me a troll?

If you mean by troll, awesome and funny.... then yes 0110101001101 is a troll. :drinker:
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    That being said. . . .

Of course I care. I care about people! (rotfl). . Actually, my mojo is entirely dependent on how good I think I look. . If I got hit by a bus, my mojo would die and I would have to rely entirely on my personality to get a date. . That would be bad. .

Also, I like it when people are jealous of me. . . makes me feel special..
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i do not care,, its all about ME!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Because I'm so freakin awesome, I ONLY want to hang out with other awesome people. Which, of course, would be the people who agree that I'm awesome.
  • fatsajack
    Options
    That's why I live in a van down by the river.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Because the voices tell me to...
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I two sons and a husband that are only people besides myself that I care how they think me. Oh, but let's not forget the over powering feeling to have my father's approval, that's right, I have daddy issues.
  • taylmarie
    taylmarie Posts: 161
    Options

So why do you care?

Human nature.

But I guess it depends what you mean. Of course I care what my family thinks of me, what my boss thinks of me and what my friends think of me. It does not mean that I take every opinion to heart or I allow others opinions to influence me. Mostly, I care what I think of me.

I think, if we make what we believe are the right decisions; that as we grow older and more experienced in life we tend to change our perspective and we care less what others think of us because we are confident and secure in our life choices.

But truly, it is my opinion that people who say that they do not care what others think of them are kind of full of it. However, since that is what I believe, it shouldn't offend anyone who says they don't care what others think ;)