Maintenance calories is this amount for real?

Options
I'm on maintenance now and it seems the calories assigned by MFP are too much, well coupled with exercise calories that is. I'm 5'4" 126lbs. Its says I need 1500 to maintain which I think is enough even without exercise. But with exercise I'll be eating around 1800 to 1900 per day, does that sound like too much? Is there anyone on maintenance that is following MFP's advice and still maintaining?

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    No, that doesn't seem especially high. You didn't say your age, but I guessed 25. The BMR calculator says:

"Your estimated BMR is: 1,302 calories/day"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

That's how much your body uses just to stay alive with absolutely zero movement. Even if you have a sedentary life, that would mean 1562 calories for maintenance (1302 times an activity factor of 1.2 for sedentary).

Try it for a few weeks and see how it works. Then adjust as necessary.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I maintain by eating 2200 calories before I exercise, 2600-2700 with
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    LOL no I'm not 25. Thanks for the info. I'm 45, is the info still correct?
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I did MFP's recommended maintenance calorie level for one month to take a break, and I didn't gain any weight. In fact I think I dropped a half of a pound. So I think their calculations are pretty decent.

I thought they felt pretty low myself though ;)
  • missEMILIEb
    missEMILIEb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    really glad to read that there is a BMR calculator and that people understand that our bodies need a certain amount of calories to maintain life. i used a different calorie counter and people were netting out at 800 cals daily. especially for women that is way too low.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Sound kinda low. I am 4'11" and my maintenance is 1670 without exercise calories
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    My Maintenance is 3000 calories. So .... judging by your height, weight and age, 1800-2000 seems optimum
    even up to 2200 calories if you exercise daily, so to answer your question, no it is not high.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I just figured it for you and your BMR is 1202. 45 y of age, 5'4", and 126.

Your BRM is lower because of your age. Mine is a tad lower than yours and I'm 5'7", 46, and 135.

Two other sites show your BRM at 1284, and 1294.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    That seems very low actually- don't be surprised if you can eat more.

I am same height as u but 119 lb and eat about 1600/1700 + exercise cals to maintain :smile:
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Maintenance for me with no exercise is like 2200 and I'm 5'8'' and 209 lbs. So I would say that's probably fairly accurate.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 1", 42 years old and they give me 1540 for maintenance at 146 pounds (sedentary activity setting and without exercise calories)
  • princesspita
    princesspita Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance mode at 1580 cals a day. I'm 5'3" and 134lbs and 22% body fat (calipers).
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

Looking good!

The equation for BMR reduces with age, because on average people become less lean with age and muscle uses calories faster than fat.

Your estimated BMR is: 1,217 calories/day.

With an activity factor of 1.2 (sedentary), that's a maintenance of 1460.

With an activity factor of 1.35 (lightly active), maintenance is 1673.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, 5ft 1 & 125 lbs and my "lose .5lb./wk" setting has me close to 1350 calories a day so on my workout days, my goal is always between 1700-2000 cals.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

I would have guessed 25 too!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    My maintenance calories are 1700 I think. With exercise I feel it is to high for me.
    I instead leave mine set for a .5lb a week lose and eat back all my calories.

I wish I could eat 2000+ calories a day with or without exercise! But I seem to gain if I eat at maintenance. However it may have to do with going over my calories on the weekend.
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would say MFP's maintenance estimate is pretty accurate. I have been on maintenance for about 8 weeks and often eat over (although still relatively healthily) and have kept the same weight. I also eat ALL my excercise calories back.
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    MFP set my maintenance at 1550...I maintain at much higher net than that, so I wouldn't be surprised.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    With your age, height and weight accounted for I calculated a BMR of 1302, with your sedentary calories being 1562. That doesn't account for your exercise, so if you you use that number as a base, eat back your exercise calories.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    GREAT!! THANKS EVERYBODY!