Maintenance calories is this amount for real?

Options
2»

Replies

• jennkess
    jennkess Posts: 86
    Options
    I'm on maintenance now and it seems the calories assigned by MFP are too much, well coupled with exercise calories that is. I'm 5'4" 126lbs. Its says I need 1500 to maintain which I think is enough even without exercise. But with exercise I'll be eating around 1800 to 1900 per day, does that sound like too much? Is there anyone on maintenance that is following MFP's advice and still maintaining?

No it doesn't sound like to much, it actually sounds low. depending on what your calorie intake was previously I would increase the calories by about 200-300 per day and keep it there for a few weeks.... see how your body is doing. adjust a few 100 either direction and you will find the sweet spot for your body and lifestyle.

it's really easy to add those calories without feeling like you've lost control, handful of Nuts , extra protein bar, larger portion of protein at dinner, add a few extra slices for lunch meat on your sandwich
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    No that doesn't sound too much, If anything it sounds a little low (based on the "average" woman recommended approx 2000 a day)

Also, my maintenance is around 2300-2400 before exercise cals. I'm 21, 5'8 and 145lbs.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Does not sound the least bit odd. Have a look at this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/541653-poll-what-is-your-tdee
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I just figured it for you and your BMR is 1202. 45 y of age, 5'4", and 126.

Your BRM is lower because of your age. Mine is a tad lower than yours and I'm 5'7", 46, and 135.

Two other sites show your BRM at 1284, and 1294.
    BMR is not maintenance though, BMR is like what you would burn asleep in bed all day, or in a coma.
    I am 5'4" and 112 pounds and maintenance for me is 1490, but I upped my calories to follow the NROL4W guidelines and it is 1800 on rest days and 2000 on lifting days. We'll see how it goes... I am not trying to lose, just tone up and get stronger.
  • chicky26
    chicky26 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
  • chicky26
    chicky26 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Particularly the table on the second page - it states average calorie consumption needed to maintain weight if your BMI is within 18 - 24.99 based on height, life style, sex and age.
  • fuzzyslipperz
    fuzzyslipperz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm 44, 5'4 and 122 and losing (slowly) on about 1900-2K cals/day. I do exercise, however. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm 39, 5'5 and 130#, and was still losing at 1700+ exercise calories. I bumped it up to 1800+ a few weeks ago. Total of 1900-2200 most days.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    My actual maintenance calories are a good 300 calories HIGHER than MFP says they are (2300 is maintenance for me but MFP says it's only 2000).
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm on maintenance now and it seems the calories assigned by MFP are too much, well coupled with exercise calories that is. I'm 5'4" 126lbs. Its says I need 1500 to maintain which I think is enough even without exercise. But with exercise I'll be eating around 1800 to 1900 per day, does that sound like too much? Is there anyone on maintenance that is following MFP's advice and still maintaining?
    i'm the same height and ~120 lb.
    i'm maintaining by netting about 1840. yesterday i had 2200 cals and today i have so far had only 1488.
    i wish i had MORE calories. i'd be really hungry if i was consistently only having 1500 :indifferent:
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and somewhere around 150. I just got a Body Media Fit. This morning I noticed that it tells me that I burn about a calorie a minute overnight while I'm asleep. I did the math this morning, and if I remember right, that would mean that I'd need 1400 calories simply to be asleep all day. Any more activity than that, and I need more calories to burn. Though. I do like the idea of sleeping all day.

The past several days I've been very active. I burned more than 3,000 one day, and over 2500 the other two days. Today, I've just done my sedentary work job and cooked dinner and the rest. So a pretty inactive day. I burned 2084 calories. Now, I'm still trying to lose weight, so I'm eating at a deficit. But if I only ate 1500 calories a day I wouldn't have the mental energy to put up with my children's exhuberance, not the phsycial reserves to build muscle, not the energy to make it through my day. And I'd be miserable and wanting to eat everything around me.

So. I'm still trying to lose, and it is clear to me that I HAVE to eat more than 1500 calories per day. You are on maintenance and thinking about less than 1500? That seems like a raw deal you're giving yourself.

Disclaimer, I may have more muscle than you that is amping my metabolism up as compared to you (not sure if the BMF is that sophisticated, but I hope so!) Perhaps building some lean muscle would be a good next step?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Seems kind of low... my goal is set at 1740 right now and that's for losing 1/2 pound a week.