Bodymedia Fit vs Fitbit accuracy

Options

Replies

• calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    bump! i've been considering a FitBit so i'd love to see your take on accuracy.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    28 March 2012

Interestingly the BMF read higher cals on this day but lower steps. I did a full body workout on all the big compound lifts which including rest breaks and warmup took about 1.5hrs.

28.03.12+workout.jpg

28.03.12%2Bworkout.jpg
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    yep....I'd stick with the AVG of the 2!!! :)
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    yep....I'd stick with the AVG of the 2!!! :)

no way. I really don't want to use 2 forever! I'm just going to experiment for a few weeks & then sell the one I don't want :P
  • ChristineandRoxy
    ChristineandRoxy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a fitbit im very curious to see how this turns out
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    rest day: nearly exactly the same cals burnt :)

29.03.12+rest+day.jpg

29.03.12%2Brest%2Bday.jpg
  • ksiverts
    ksiverts Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Do you just have to pay for the BMF and FitBit itself or do you have to pay for an ongoing service with either one or both of these? If so, how expensive is it? I'd really like to have one, but I don't want to pay a $100 for the monitor and then be stuck paying a monthly fee to actually use it.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. My husband just bought me a fitbit (and one for himself). Curious to see your results.
  • Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit since X-mas. There are a few settings that can be altered to get more accuracy. For example, your step length for walking and running. I checked mine with the My Tracks app on my droid to check the distance accuracy. The Fitbit won't accurately track non-walking/running exercises unless you enter them manually into their web site and set the timer on the device. Good luck.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Do you just have to pay for the BMF and FitBit itself or do you have to pay for an ongoing service with either one or both of these? If so, how expensive is it? I'd really like to have one, but I don't want to pay a $100 for the monitor and then be stuck paying a monthly fee to actually use it.

You pay a fee with BMF. Mine came with a year subscription to the website. I doubt I will use it after that year is up. Will probably sell it and get something else. If the subscrip hadn't come with it, I probably would not have gotten it. Kinda ridiculous to pay SOO much for the lil thing and then have to pay for the online subscription....which you have to have or it is useless.
  • Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Fitbit has a free site and a pay site. I just use the free site. Not sure what the paid site adds.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    well in that case...i like the layout of the fit bit read better :)
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • dls0516
    dls0516 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • redmapleleaf
    redmapleleaf Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The downfall to the fitbit is that it doesn't track calories burn during strength training. It tracks steps only and doesn't have sensors that would track body heat. Its basically a souped up pedometer. But it better than using nothing at all. It can be concealed better than the BMF so if that works than use it.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135867251&page=1
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

You pay a fee with BMF. Mine came with a year subscription to the website. I doubt I will use it after that year is up. Will probably sell it and get something else. If the subscrip hadn't come with it, I probably would not have gotten it. Kinda ridiculous to pay SOO much for the lil thing and then have to pay for the online subscription....which you have to have or it is useless.

I got my subscription off ebay for $20. You might can still find some.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    The downfall to the fitbit is that it doesn't track calories burn during strength training. It tracks steps only and doesn't have sensors that would track body heat. Its basically a souped up pedometer. But it better than using nothing at all. It can be concealed better than the BMF so if that works than use it.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135867251&page=1

I'm actually subscribed to that thread :smile:

Yesterday was a regular work day and then lifted for an hour after. I did so some more speed stuff with lest rest breaks also for a bit. What you are saying is proving to be correct for lifting days so far although they were much closer yesterday.

30.03.12+workout.jpg

30.03.12%2Bworkout.jpg