Bodymedia Fit vs Fitbit accuracy

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    That the Fitbit is a glorified pedometer is what I have basically concluded, but I like the size compared the the BMF. Neither work well for cycling which I do a lot of in the summer, but I am guessing with the extra sensors the BMF would give more calories than the Fitbit.
  • brianneball
    brianneball Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see another side-by-side comparison!

I've actually been meaning to do just that, and I've just been too stinkin' busy - I've had a Bodybugg for something like 5 years now (started as part of a research study), but recently picked up a fitbit since I can't wear the BB at work if it's not completely covered and I'm tired of the questions that come at least once a week if it peeks out of my shirt!

I've worn them simultaneously for a few days, but hadn't taken the time to compare, and now I'm kind of surprised:

Calorie Burn/Steps Taken:

Tuesday BB: 4002/8920
    Tuesday FB: 2900/9790

Wednesday BB: 3180/5080
    Wednesday FB: 2600/4550

Thursday BB: 3850/6700
    Thursday FB: 2900/5500

Friday BB: 3550/8450
    Friday FB: 2800/9050

At least for me, it looks like the bodybugg is consistently giving me 500-1000 more calories burned than the fitbit. And I'm not really sure which to believe - I have to assume that the bodybugg is giving me WAY more credit for being seriously obese (and probably more than reasonable), and overestimating my calorie burn based on total body weight. I have to assume that, if/when I get closer to an appropriate weight, I would see less of a discrepancy.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you're input! interesting that the steps change between which one is higher too? That is a large discrepancy! Hard to know which is closer to correct :(

no accurate results today.

All I found out is that they are both unreliable when used while riding a motorbike. Apparently I climbed over 100 sets of stairs while riding :P
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you're input! interesting that the steps change between which one is higher too? That is a large discrepancy! Hard to know which is closer to correct :(

All I found out is that they are both unreliable when used while riding a motorbike. Apparently I climbed over 100 sets of stairs while riding :P

I've decided I need to take the BMF off while riding in a car. It really skews the numbers. I have a desk job but my days seem to vary because of how much movement within the office I do and how many times I have to go downstairs, but my days are pretty consistent. I range from 2300 cal burned on mostly sedentary days to 2600 on heavier movement days to around 3000 on workout days HOWEVER on Thursday I had the day off to get some stuff done and drove almost all day. My BMF said I burned 2800 calories. I know there's no way that's accurate since I was sitting in my car most of the day with no extra exercise worked in. I still think BMF is accurate most days though because I'm losing slowly & steadily using it's calculations. My only issue with it is I thought I'd be able to wear it without most people knowing, that really isn't the case. What does everyone say when they get comments about it? I had one guy at work joke that my watch jumped up my arm...he's the dork of the office so I took it with a grain of salt, but I'd be curious to see how other's answer people's comments.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have the Fit Bit. I have noticed that it will track any bumps as a step so if you are driving in a car and it is a bumpy ride it will log those as steps too. I don't have a BM to compare it to but use my HRM during workouts to make sure I get an accurate burn to enter since the Fit Bit does not measure heart rate or heat or whatever it is the BM does. Anyway, all this to say that you should take note of how many steps it says you are taking when you are driving or taking public transportation, that sort of thing.
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The downfall to the fitbit is that it doesn't track calories burn during strength training. It tracks steps only and doesn't have sensors that would track body heat. Its basically a souped up pedometer. But it better than using nothing at all. It can be concealed better than the BMF so if that works than use it.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135867251&page=1

I actually found my fit bit to be better at weight lifting than the bmf. No it doesnt have heat but the bmf is on your arm only one musscle so if your doing sqats with weight ect then it doesnt matter, they both have motion sensors which is where they get the majority of their data from. hints why on the bmf he had less steps but more calories.
  • rileysowner
    Options

That must have been a bumpy ride. :laugh:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The downfall to the fitbit is that it doesn't track calories burn during strength training. It tracks steps only and doesn't have sensors that would track body heat. Its basically a souped up pedometer. But it better than using nothing at all. It can be concealed better than the BMF so if that works than use it.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135867251&page=1

I actually found my fit bit to be better at weight lifting than the bmf. No it doesnt have heat but the bmf is on your arm only one musscle so if your doing sqats with weight ect then it doesnt matter, they both have motion sensors which is where they get the majority of their data from. hints why on the bmf he had less steps but more calories.

When I strength train for 40 minutes I burn around 250-300 calories. I can't see all the calories being majority from the BMF pedometer. I work just as hard with strength training as I do with cardio. My average burn for an hours worth of Zumba is around 550-630 calories. So I truly feel the heat factor does play some part in my calorie burn when I strength train. If it didn't I think the calorie burn shown wouldn't be as high.

Fitbit just hangs on your clothes I can't see how that can be more accurate.

And doesn't more calories burn means the extra calories came from the sensors? And less steps means its not as sensitive. BFM is also connected to the non dominate arm and not to your clothes so that's also probably another reason for less steps detected where as the fitbit is attached to your pants so it will catch even the slightest movement.

Just questions. I might have to get a fitbit to test out.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I've had my BMF for a little over a year now and never had a problem with car trips like was noted on the previous page. I make a lot of trips between the SF Bay Area and SoCal and never see any unusual readings. It's a five to seven hour trip, depending on where in SoCal I'm going, and it always logs me at the same calories as when I'm sitting at work or home. With occasional spurts from when I have my extensive air drumming sessions. :)

Seeing the side by side Fit Bit info is interesting because I've been contemplating making the switch from the BMF to a Fitbit since its be nice to not have the thing strapped to my arm everyday. But I'm feeling like I may just keep the BMF until I truly reach my goal then see about the change at that point.
  • PatBland
    PatBland Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Started using my FB on 2/24/12. This is a real neat tool. My theory is that it is a tool for me to use as a guideline. Nothing more, nothing less. I am not going to freak out over if it does this or does that. As long as I am losing at the goal that I set then all is well. It really is interesting to compare the steps taken. Tried several pedometers at different times and they did not work for me and was very frustrating. This is just a great little tool and would recommend it highly. (by the way I am in my senior years and decided once and for all that I need to be more healthy and active - between MFP and FB I have had more success on this journey than any that I have tried over the years including WW). Everyone have a great day.:flowerforyou:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    When people ask me about BMF, I just say it's like a HRM but cooler :tongue:

And yeah, I know BMF doesn't read well on car trips either so same same there.

Desirai: resistance training does burn less cals than cardio. You're numbers are probably about right actually :)
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I would love it if there was a device that incorporated both HR input and all the stuff in the BMF to do the calculations. I would be fine wearing both something around my arm and a chest strap, although it would be nice to have the chest strap be less intrusive, the armband as well I guess. Still watching this thread with interest.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

You must have a harley :p sure those things can shake you thin :D
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    One question i have regarding the bodymedia fit is I wear short sleave shirts for work and can't have it showing. Am I able to wear it higher up on the arm and not be visible at work? It looks pretty small so i think I could wear it under my work shirts, but I'd like to know for sure before i buy. thanks
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    once again BMF reading higher on days I workout.

Was quite active also. Went for a walk this morning, then foam roll/mobility stuff, then went to the beach for frisbee & swim, then off to the movies to see 21 Jump St and then I came back and did a speed based weights session with 75% of normal 8x3 weights and very minimal rest periods.

01.04.12+workout.jpg

01.04.12%2Bworkout.jpg
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your stride length in FitBit or noticed if it changes while driving? There are potential fixes for both.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia (no FitBit to compare), but my output screen looks totally different than the original poster's screen! It's much more 'graphic'.

This is an example of the screen I see with BodyMedia for each day.

6890490396_75fc965511_z.jpg

Each section is expandable to see additional details:

6890497814_6c63b8daf6_z.jpg
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Bump for further results.

I have a Fitbit but nothing to compare it with. I use my fitbit as a guide...basically it lets me know when I need to get moving.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia (no FitBit to compare), but my output screen looks totally different than the original poster's screen! It's much more 'graphic'.

That's because the OP is a bad boy. *cough*
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

That's because the OP is a bad boy. *cough*

Haha - I guess bad boys don't deserve engaging graphics!