No soda!!

Options
13»

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's about the same sodium as a serving of raw carrots, and WAY less than a lean chicken breast. On a scale rating between water and canned soup, it's pretty darn close to water where sodium is concerned. LOL
  • holliwood322
    holliwood322 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    how does anyone feel about giving up coffee creamer? i have one cup of coffee a day, sometimes 2, and have to put non dairy creamer in it. 1 splena packet. i never even used to drink coffee! started up about 10 years ago. any thoughts?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    oh, and the whole caffeine is a diuretic talking point? a diuretic is something that makes you have to take a 10-100. soda and diet soda? 10-100. water? 10-100.

I could find the study, but the difference in retention of liquid in water vs. soda was once tested at something like a difference of 3 %. the study also found that if the subject has a history of caffeine drinking, the body adapts and actually retains even more, making it right about equal with water.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    does drinking diet soda make one gain weight??? I know they are full of chemicals but i never thought they can affect weight....
    It's a correlation effect for many. If they drink diet soda, they may drink LESS water and water retention happens. Most people I see that switch off diet soda, or soda in general end up drinking more water and now drop more water since they are drinking the right amount.
    If you drank enough water and diet soda as another source, then weight gain shouldn't be an issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

niner is wise. when the thing you are ingesting has 0 calories, it in and of itself will not change your weight.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Can't get enough of diet soda. I drink both it and water like crazy everyday, doesn't seem to be a problem for me.
    Fresca - 35
    Ginger Ale - 35

My favorites on this list.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    how does anyone feel about giving up coffee creamer? i have one cup of coffee a day, sometimes 2, and have to put non dairy creamer in it. 1 splena packet. i never even used to drink coffee! started up about 10 years ago. any thoughts?

I refuse to give up my creamer! lol
    I hardly use as much as some people, and I tend to buy the lower calorie flavored versions.

My boyfriend and his entire family drinks it black. yuck!
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I gave up both. Only do the soda as a few sips like a treat now. Black coffee no splenda
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I made a bet with my friend over a year ago about not drinking soda, both her and i are very competitive so who ever drank a soda or diet soda first lost the bet. The bet was the loser, had to to do as many repetitions as their current body weight. To this day still have not had a sip of soda and will continue not to til she gives in.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I'd been trying to quit it for about 10 years.

After I'd been to a nutritionist that told me how both artificial sweeteners and sugar increase your appetite.
    (I find it really hard to stay within my calories if I drink a diet coke or too much sugar)

I finally, quit the diet soda about 5 years ago.

I wasn't successful until I started drinking real coffee instead of decaf.

I know a research scientist who'd been doing cholesterol studies and discovered that even though decaf has no cholesterol it will elevate your cholesterol levels. Regular coffee didn't have that effect.

Now I'm hearing a lot about health benefits of coffee... antioxidants etc.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    does drinking diet soda make one gain weight??? I know they are full of chemicals but i never thought they can affect weight....
    It's a correlation effect for many. If they drink diet soda, they may drink LESS water and water retention happens. Most people I see that switch off diet soda, or soda in general end up drinking more water and now drop more water since they are drinking the right amount.
    If you drank enough water and diet soda as another source, then weight gain shouldn't be an issue.

IDEA Fitness member

niner is wise. when the thing you are ingesting has 0 calories, it in and of itself will not change your weight.

But it so increase my appetite, I get ravenous when I drink diet soda and end up overeating massively.
    With a family tree of both diabetics and scientist... It's been explained to me over and over again. In terms I understand,but just can never seem to remember.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    But it so increase my appetite, I get ravenous when I drink diet soda and end up overeating massively.
    With a family tree of both diabetics and scientist... It's been explained to me over and over again. In terms I understand,but just can never seem to remember.
    People are different and some will have adverse reactions while others won't. Personally I drink 2 diet pepsi a day (and have for over 25 years) and fortunately don't have the issue you have with overeating. For someone like you, diet soda isn't the best option.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    it is different for some people. I have seen here, at least, some say that it increases appetite. for me, it makes me feel full.
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    My aunt is a member of WW, and I was telling her today, that I drank several sodas (regular) last week, and gained 3 lbs. I was really disappointed because I didn't go over my calories those days. She said that they recently discussed in WW, that diet sodas can cause some people, not all, gain weight.
  • bigswedeman
    bigswedeman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Well considering, let's say one 8oz Pepsi is 100calories, and one pound = 3500 calories, you'd have to consume 105 cans of pepsi in that week to equal a 3lb weight gain...

So I'm thinking there's more to it than that :)
  • hay__1986
    Options
    that is brilliant, i was a total fizzy drink additc, no joke i would go through 2 litres a day sometimes, but now im drinking water all the time, and have got it down to a can of coke prob 4 times a week, feel so much better for it!
  • imsleepdeprived
    imsleepdeprived Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've kicked the habit as well. I find with diet soda I end up with GI issues (very unpleasant) - so I was drinking real coke. I still sometimes crave it but after the first couple of sips I'm over my craving. It's been 2 weeks since I've had a real coke!!!
  • Slice1
    Slice1 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Pepsi all day, every day. From the time I woke up until the time I went to bed. I was addicted. Thought I couldn't live without it. A few years ago I quit drinking it for 3 months and lost 30lbs.
    Went back to it though and gained everything back.

Last year I quit drinking it for a couple months and changed my eating habits altogether. I lost almost 20lbs.

Sadly, went back to the Pepsi (and other junk food) over the winter. I gained all the weight back.
    Now, as of 2 weeks ago, I'm off the Pepsi again. And hopefully for good. I've lost almost 6lbs in 2 weeks.

I read another thread on here this week that a woman was drinking diet soda every day until she realized the amount of sodium in them. So she stopped drinking them and dropped a few pounds.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    But ... we've already covered the fact that there is next to no sodium in soda.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!