What is with the low carb fad?

Options
aproc
aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
I'm just wondering what people's reasons are for doing low carb on here? Carbs are the body's preferred source of energy.. I understand it in prepping for competitions and the carb cycling with leaning out after building muscle but I can't understand why the average person would. Everybody I have known who did the whole 'low carb' diet for a while lost weight but it was just put back on later because it isn't a lifestyle you can stick to.. Just seems like a quick fix for some that is hard to maintain in the long run. Not trying to be rude or insult any who are doing it. I'm just curious about your reason's behind choosing it.

Replies

• RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I don't know many people who can stick to execising or lifting for the rest of their lives either but I sure don't knock anyone for giving it a go while trying to find what works for them. Some people have more will power than others in certain areas, some actually see an improvement in health. If you don't know people who can stick with something then seems like that might be a problem with the people you know. Guess it's kind of like the fad of worrying about what everybody else is doing.

BTW if you do some real research into low carb it's been around for centuries, that's a heck of a long fad.
  • aproc
    Options
    Like I said, I didn't mean it condencendingly. I was just curious about other reasons or research I haven't seen. Guess that was something I should have just kept quiet about. I am sorry.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I dont expect to do low-carb for a long period of time, but it did help jump-start my dieting. It helped to lower my calories by loosing breads and starches that I was more willing to give up than meats. Replacing those calories with veggies, and you really dont have too bad of a diet at all and you continue to feel full even though your calorie intake is dropping. NO hunger pains at all!

A few weeks into it, started adding a few carbs back in, especially around workouts and I think it's worked OK. I had a 'treat' last night and had a piece of garlic toast and felt bloated afterwards.. I really dont have a craving to start adding back in a ton of bread and potatos, which I think (hope) will stick..

No one should be doing a 'no carb' diet long term. Atkins or similar diets only have that phase for a short period of time. They all expect you to add carbs back into your normal diet, but in a controlled and healthy way.

I know others that have done low-carb and felt sick and constipated etc... All I can say to that is everyone's different. If you find something that works for you, do it! If low-carb isn't appealing, pass....
  • aproc
    Options
    I dont expect to do low-carb for a long period of time, but it did help jump-start my dieting. It helped to lower my calories by loosing breads and starches that I was more willing to give up than meats. Replacing those calories with veggies, and you really dont have too bad of a diet at all and you continue to feel full even though your calorie intake is dropping. NO hunger pains at all!

A few weeks into it, started adding a few carbs back in, especially around workouts and I think it's worked OK. I had a 'treat' last night and had a piece of garlic toast and felt bloated afterwards.. I really dont have a craving to start adding back in a ton of bread and potatos, which I think (hope) will stick..

No one should be doing a 'no carb' diet long term. Atkins or similar diets only have that phase for a short period of time. They all expect you to add carbs back into your normal diet, but in a controlled and healthy way.

I know others that have done low-carb and felt sick and constipated etc... All I can say to that is everyone's different. If you find something that works for you, do it! If low-carb isn't appealing, pass....
    Sounds pretty good! Glad it's working for you. I was doing low carb for a few days once since I stayed with my mom who was on the diet and I had a hard time finding any healthy carbs in her house. I did have an easier time keeping the hunger at bay but after a couple days I just couldn't deal with the headaches. Different effects on everyone I suppose.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    For myself eating low carb (not no carb) is the only way for my body to lose weight. I have PCOS and it's really hard for me to lose weight even though I work out really good. I have never been able to do the points program on weight watchers, basically eating like the "South Beach Diet" is typically the only thing for me that moves the scale. I stick to carbs in veggies most days and may have carbs in the form of breads/pasta/potatoes once or twice a week. If I eat it more than that, I get very bloated and the scale moves in the wrong direction.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    I dont think there is anything wrong with carbs. I mean as long as you dont overdue it. I just never have a carb after 6, they will stick with you all night and the next morning. So a big thing of pasta is not good for you right before bed for example.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I don't know many people who can stick to execising or lifting for the rest of their lives either but I sure don't knock anyone for giving it a go while trying to find what works for them. Some people have more will power than others in certain areas, some actually see an improvement in health. If you don't know people who can stick with something then seems like that might be a problem with the people you know. Guess it's kind of like the fad of worrying about what everybody else is doing.

BTW if you do some real research into low carb it's been around for centuries, that's a heck of a long fad.

MOST of the people I know have been exercising and lifting weights for their entire adult lives, and often since childhood.

EDIT: I guess not most of the people I know, just most of the people I surround myself with.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I dont think there is anything wrong with carbs. I mean as long as you dont overdue it. I just never have a carb after 6, they will stick with you all night and the next morning. So a big thing of pasta is not good for you right before bed for example.

?? where are you sticking your carbs? tee hee
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering what people's reasons are for doing low carb on here? Carbs are the body's preferred source of energy.. I understand it in prepping for competitions and the carb cycling with leaning out after building muscle but I can't understand why the average person would. Everybody I have known who did the whole 'low carb' diet for a while lost weight but it was just put back on later because it isn't a lifestyle you can stick to.. Just seems like a quick fix for some that is hard to maintain in the long run. Not trying to be rude or insult any who are doing it. I'm just curious about your reason's behind choosing it.

My guess is some people feel like crap when they eat carbs, other have medical reasons and a bunch of people think that it accelerates fat loss or it's the only way to lose weight. Some of that you can prob chalk up to the current insulin and carbophobia
  • aproc
    Options

MOST of the people I know have been exercising and lifting weights for their entire adult lives, and often since childhood.

EDIT: I guess not most of the people I know, just most of the people I surround myself with.

I was going to say something along those lines but thought about that line you added in. I've been a gym rat for years so the people around me are typically people who have been at it for years. I don't know many people who gave up after putting in a good amount of time in first but thats just the kind of people I surround myself with as well.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend who has had a lot of success with low carb over the long haul. I'm not talking about the extremes of the induction week of Atkins forever (I thought she was nuts at first) but she's kept off over 85 pounds for 6+ years.

It works for her--your own mileage may vary. She does "go off plan" occasionally.
  • aproc
    Options
    Well darn...Thats when I crave my carbs the most. :P
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Abject silliness. What difference would see in weight loss or body comp if you ate the majority of your carbs after 6pm vs if you did not?
  • aproc
    Options
    I have a good friend who has had a lot of success with low carb over the long haul. I'm not talking about the extremes of the induction week of Atkins forever (I thought she was nuts at first) but she's kept off over 85 pounds for 6+ years.

It works for her--your own mileage may vary. She does "go off plan" occasionally.
    Some people gain it back I suppose because once they ''go off plan'' then it's all downhill in their mind I guess. Thats pretty awesome that she's kept it off and can keep that balance and go off plan but not let it derail her.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Well darn...Thats when I crave my carbs the most. :P Haha. I'm kind of the same. I don't really intentionally cut carbs at night but typically my only carbs at dinner are from veggies.

I have had around 160g of carbs since 6. Doesn't stick to me :P
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have a strong family history of Diabetes. My gramma and her mom both ended up having their legs amputated because of Diabetes. My uncle who is barely older than me was recently diagnosed. My sister was diagnosed. During a couple of pregnancies I was diagnosed with gestational Diabetes.

I don't want to lose my legs.

Low carb and the treadmill are tools I use to keep them.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Someone made a comment on her about making sure you get your fat and protein, and fill out your calories with carbs from there.

Carbs are an easy food to point to when you want to say bad.

List of carbs I enjoy eating:
    chips, crackers, donuts, ice cream shakes, cake, cake, and more cake, cheesecake, etc.

List of carbs that are good for you that I now eat:
    berries, Ezekiel bread (which is ick), lettuce, tomatoes, random vegetables.

So going low carb is just a way to dump processed junk with an easy wipe of the hand. I'm a lot lower carb than I was. So, you can imagine how bad it was when I still ate them willy nilly.
  • aproc
    Options
    Well darn...Thats when I crave my carbs the most. :P Haha. I'm kind of the same. I don't really intentionally cut carbs at night but typically my only carbs at dinner are from veggies.

I have had around 160g of carbs since 6. Doesn't stick to me :P
    Well it doesn't matter in the end. :P I just don't like the really full feeling too close to bed.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i just do it for fun

one day, see how few carbs i can eat..........
    another, how little fat.........
    its a game to me
    only 19 carbs today, from lettuce and greens................tomorrow maybe 250..............
    nice to experiment with how things make you feel
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Low Carb can mean many a thing. Its doesn't necessarily mean cutting out all things starchy. I have done Atkins and lost over 30lbs with it. Many people don't do right by it and that is why they gain the weight back. They don't take the time to "learn" themselves and how carbs affect their body.