What is with the low carb fad?

Options

Replies

• Stiletto75
    Options
    I agree. I did the low carb thing for about a month to "jump start" into weight loss. I don't have much to lose which seems to make it more difficult. I had to be careful though b/c I was still going to the gym regularly and obviously I need the energy to do that safely.
    I've lost 12lbs and am now "watching what eat"...being sensible...while still going to the gym. 10lbs to go!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering what people's reasons are for doing low carb on here? Carbs are the body's preferred source of energy.. I understand it in prepping for competitions and the carb cycling with leaning out after building muscle but I can't understand why the average person would. Everybody I have known who did the whole 'low carb' diet for a while lost weight but it was just put back on later because it isn't a lifestyle you can stick to.. Just seems like a quick fix for some that is hard to maintain in the long run. Not trying to be rude or insult any who are doing it. I'm just curious about your reason's behind choosing it.

Actually, fat is the body's preferred method of fuel. Carbs were not always abundant as we evolved.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/#axzz1qNILNkBM
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Honestly...most people try it because they are trying any and all diets. Low carb diets are going to make it into most dieter's rotation.

But folks who stick with it, stick with it because they like the way they feel on it. And, when you are serious about these diets instead of just including them in your fad rotation, and you read up on them, they're not really *that* low carb. You eat more veggies than most people. And mostly what you're getting rid of is crap. So...no. I don't eat cookies and cake and pie, flour, and stuff in boxes or from the corner take-out as a regular part of my diet (although even low carb people splurge on their favorites, just like everybody else does).

But...I don't think eating any of that stuff is going to improve my health or athletic performance. And I simply feel better. Folks that don't feel better eating this way don't stick with it. The same way that most of us who are doing what you would call "low carb" have tried every other diet as well...and didn't feel better doing it. So we stopped. I eat about 80% primal. I eat white potatoes as well as sweet, and I also eat rice (some people think rice is "safe," some don't. I chose to eat it sometimes.) But just at a gut level, I really don't think trading out my eggplant for bread is going to make me healthier.

That's pretty much it. Folks may have really elaborate links to studies and trials and animal studies...but most of us stick with whatever is a combination of successful and sustainable. People who find success stick with what made them successful, and eventually drop what doesn't lead to success (well, if they're smart they do.)

If you're finding success by eating bread and running marathons, more power to you. Not the way I want to go, but thank goodness, we can all chose what works for us.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Who is this Mark person, and why is he generally the only link we get?

Low carb sometimes entertains me as its like a teen saying they are vegetarian because all they eat is cheese pizza and french fries. I've seen some of the franken-food low carbers eat, and it definitely doesn't seem like a healthy lifestyle.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i carb cycle just because its fun...

No better day then a massive re-feed of carbs... when i ate them everyday they just lost that amazing feeling you get from eating them unno lol. hard to explain i guess...
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering what people's reasons are for doing low carb on here?

Because it works best for me!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering what people's reasons are for doing low carb on here? Carbs are the body's preferred source of energy.. I understand it in prepping for competitions and the carb cycling with leaning out after building muscle but I can't understand why the average person would. Everybody I have known who did the whole 'low carb' diet for a while lost weight but it was just put back on later because it isn't a lifestyle you can stick to.. Just seems like a quick fix for some that is hard to maintain in the long run. Not trying to be rude or insult any who are doing it. I'm just curious about your reason's behind choosing it.

Actually, fat is the body's preferred method of fuel. Carbs were not always abundant as we evolved.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/#axzz1qNILNkBM

Lol Sisson, do you have anything else that is actually a valid source of information? If fat was the preferred method of fuel, why has the fat adaption theory been thoroughly debunked in numerous studies? Also what evidence is there that carbs were not abundant as we evolved? Many estimations of paleo man had them eating copious amount of carbs, of course it varied by geographical region
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have several medical issues and low-carb has been the only thing I have found that works for me. I have been serious about changing my eating lifestyle for 6 months now and have lost 20 lbs so far. I am doing it gradually. I know by doing it this way it will stay off. I try to keep my carbs under 50g per day. I occasionally go over when I treat myself to a small Dr. Pepper. But that is few and far between. I have found that if I eat too many carbs I feel awful. But this is what has worked for me. Everyone is different.

My sister and my mom are cutting calories and empty calories (ie. junk food). They are also getting more active and decreasing their portions. This is what seems to work for them.

I have also found that by focusing on good carbs I am eating better and finding things that I love that I never tried before. Besides, my doctor is very happy with my progress and is fully supportive of my "diet". I have even lowered my bad cholestrol and my blood pressure. Don't see that as being bad things. Just my two cents worth.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I dont think there is anything wrong with carbs. I mean as long as you dont overdue it. I just never have a carb after 6, they will stick with you all night and the next morning. So a big thing of pasta is not good for you right before bed for example.

Do you have any scientific studies to back this up, please?
  • sandeerodriguez
    sandeerodriguez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on this new life style LCHF this last week. I'm Insulin Resistant which means I'm Pre-Diabetic. I know this way of eating sounds weird but I'm full after each meal, I don't crave sugar or carbs now. I've already lost 3 pounds and hope to continue until I've lost 80 more. I used to work out and go to the gym but I never lost any weight until now. I'm so grateful for my new doctor to run test on me to figure what was wrong with me after 20 years of not knowing. Dr. Jeffrey Gerber MD. I found this site under his address.
  • angelasmith230
    angelasmith230 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Low carb sometimes entertains me as its like a teen saying they are vegetarian because all they eat is cheese pizza and french fries. I've seen some of the franken-food low carbers eat, and it definitely doesn't seem like a healthy lifestyle.

I have to eat low carb due to insulin resistance.. I never eat any of the low carb packaged foods! Most of them are very questionable..

My diet consists of mostly lean meats, fish, low sugar fruits and non - starchy veggies and the occasional serving of cheese. I make sure to eat at least two cups of veggies with every meal.

I'm eating so much healthier on a low carb lifestyle than I was before.

I definitely agree with you about the "frankenfoods" though!! :smile:

although i must confess that I do indulge in the occasional low carb tortilla!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i am low(er) carb that what i'd like to be due to insulin resistance. i like carbs but my body doesn't.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on this new life style LCHF this last week. I'm Insulin Resistant which means I'm Pre-Diabetic. I know this way of eating sounds weird but I'm full after each meal, I don't crave sugar or carbs now. I've already lost 3 pounds and hope to continue until I've lost 80 more. I used to work out and go to the gym but I never lost any weight until now. I'm so grateful for my new doctor to run test on me to figure what was wrong with me after 20 years of not knowing. Dr. Jeffrey Gerber MD. I found this site under his address.
    Good luck! :) Glad you were able to finally get some answers.

I wasn't really counting people with medical conditions. I should have included that in my post.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

I've also seen rabid calorie counters on MFP...and when I look at their diaries, everything comes from a box or take-out. But hey...the calories are spot-on! So, what's your point?

Everyone has a goal. Some people just want to lose weight and aren't concerned about health. Just like some vegetarians simply don't want to kill animals and aren't as concerned about the optimal nutritious diet. To each his own.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I used to do the Atkins 20g carbs per day - now that is low carb. Weight does fall off because you are less hungry so eat less.
    It just messes with your head as constantly seeing carbs as BAD. I never maintained weight loss as missed carbs.
    I think it can be beneficial for some to eat 100- 150g carb daily - I see this as a moderate level of carb.

It was mentioned that most turn to low carb as insulin resistant. I used to believe this was best diet but it just ends up making you MORE insulin resistant. They call it a physiological insulin resistance while low carbing as your body has to make most of your cells insulin resistant so what glucose is present is preferentially sent to the brain and other cells that need the glucose.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I dont think there is anything wrong with carbs. I mean as long as you dont overdue it. I just never have a carb after 6, they will stick with you all night and the next morning. So a big thing of pasta is not good for you right before bed for example.

I don't know if the poster has any scientific data, but its common knowledge that carbs need to be burned quickly because the sugars from carbs enter the bloodstream immediately. That means they are uniquely unsuited to be consumed before bed when you can't put them to any use.

Furthermore, when the body is low on carbohydrates, it starts using calories to burn fat for energy. If there are no carbohydrates in your system before bedtime, your body will burn more fat for energy.

That said, there is a case for eating carbs before bed for those who have trouble sleeping (when I can't sleep, a bowl of Cherrios usually does the trick). So I guess each person would have to weight the cost v benefits for themselves.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/news/20070214/carbs-may-help-you-fall-asleep-faster
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I don't know if the poster has any scientific data, but its common knowledge that carbs need to be burned quickly because the sugars from carbs enter the bloodstream immediately. That means they are uniquely unsuited to be consumed before bed when you can't put them to any use.

Furthermore, when the body is low on carbohydrates, it starts using calories to burn fat for energy. If there are no carbohydrates in your system before bedtime, your body will burn more fat for energy.

That said, there is a case for eating carbs before bed for those who have trouble sleeping (when I can't sleep, a bowl of Cherrios usually does the trick). So I guess each person would have to weight the cost v benefits for themselves.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/news/20070214/carbs-may-help-you-fall-asleep-faster

Then this study wouldn't make any sense

Sofer S, et al. Greater weight loss and hormonal changes after 6 months diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner. Obesity, 2011 Apr 7.

http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v19/n10/full/oby201148a.html
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

carbs do help with sleep.
    There was a study where carbs were eaten in the evening only and there was more weight loss. Yep that one Acg!
  • twinsmake3
    twinsmake3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    But folks who stick with it, stick with it because they like the way they feel on it. And, when you are serious about these diets instead of just including them in your fad rotation, and you read up on them, they're not really *that* low carb. You eat more veggies than most people. And mostly what you're getting rid of is crap. So...no. I don't eat cookies and cake and pie, flour, and stuff in boxes or from the corner take-out as a regular part of my diet (although even low carb people splurge on their favorites, just like everybody else does).

But...I don't think eating any of that stuff is going to improve my health or athletic performance. And I simply feel better.

Bang on, this is why I started going low carb and staying on it. I've been introducing more carbs in phases but really read labels and eat only whole wheat breads, high fibre carbs, etc. . I found it easy to stick to because I felt better, I didn't feel like I was dieting (stayed full on protein and veggies) and as an added bonus, the weight came off!