What is with the low carb fad?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    low carb should mean high fat. You have to replace the carb with something and it should be fat. The only unhealthy fat I know is Trans fat. I've tried various weight loss diets and high fat is my favorite. My least favorite is low fat. I hated eating dry white meat. It killed my hormones and sex drive. I now eat eggs, bacon, steak, butter, dark meat chicken. While doing all this my blood cholesterol improved. My goal was to raise HDL by eating lots of saturated fat, but LDL and triglycerides all improved in the process. I'm not talking about a few points either. My LDL went from 211 to 126. HDL went from 56 to 74. Man, life is good.

LDL of 126 is still high. Certainly better than 211, though. Why saturated fat instead of unsaturated fat, if you don't mind my asking?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Why so cryptic?

I know what CLA is. What is TVA. Please enlighten me.

And why are CLA and Trans Vaccenic Acid considered bad in your book?
  • Acg67
    Options
    I'm just wondering what people's reasons are for doing low carb on here? Carbs are the body's preferred source of energy.. I understand it in prepping for competitions and the carb cycling with leaning out after building muscle but I can't understand why the average person would. Everybody I have known who did the whole 'low carb' diet for a while lost weight but it was just put back on later because it isn't a lifestyle you can stick to.. Just seems like a quick fix for some that is hard to maintain in the long run. Not trying to be rude or insult any who are doing it. I'm just curious about your reason's behind choosing it.

A few reasons....

This article got me curious, so I started reading books, and it started to make a whole lot of sense.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?scp=1&sq=what if its all been a big fat lie?&st=cse

Also, someone mentioned it helps keep the binge at bay - that is also true.

I low carb, but not in the Atkins way. I don't count, I just knocked out all the processed carbs, except for treats. I eat fruits and veggies until my heart is content, because no one will ever be able to convince me that fruit is bad, regardless of how many carbs it has. I still eat potatoes and squash, because I love them and they have lots of nutrients. I eat a moderate amount of steel cut oats as oatmeal, and I will occasionally eat grains, like barley and brown rice, but I keep the grains to once or twice a week at most.

But gone is anything made primarily from flour and/or processed - pasta, bread, crackers, cereals, white rice, and the like. I pretty much did away with anything that has a wrapper, except for frozen meat and veggies (with no additives).

Oh an early example of Taubes' garbage and counter point

http://reason.com/archives/2003/03/01/big-fat-fake/singlepage
  • abbygrimaldi
    Options
    I do the low carb because I was diagnosed with Diabetes.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Why saturated fat instead of unsaturated fat, if you don't mind my asking?

cuz they're delicious

avocados, coconuts especially (both very saturated)
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options

So Trans fat is good for you too? Damn, does this cycle never end?
    I was thinking trans fat as in hydrogenated oils.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options

Trans fat is the black sheep of the fat family. Put it in a corner in permanent time out.
  • Acg67
    Options

There is a difference between the effects of naturally occurring trans fats and synthetic ones. CLA and TVA are naturally occurring trans fats
  • bcattoes
    Options

cuz they're delicious

?? avocados have more than 5 times as much unsaturated fat as saturated. Avocado oil has about 10 times as much unsaturated. Those are generally considered good sources of mono-unsaturated fat.
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options

cuz they're delicious

?? avocados have more than 5 times as much unsaturated fat as saturated. Avocado oil has about 10 times as much unsaturated. Those are generally considered good sources of mono-unsaturated fat.

It is my understanding that the problem with unsaturated fats is that they oxidize (go rancid) much more easily than saturated fats do. Oxidized unsaturated fats aren't metabolized right and clog up the works, basically. Fresh unsaturated fats, like in fresh avocados, are awesome. Old canola oil from your pantry is yuck.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering what people's reasons are for doing low carb on here? Carbs are the body's preferred source of energy.. I understand it in prepping for competitions and the carb cycling with leaning out after building muscle but I can't understand why the average person would. Everybody I have known who did the whole 'low carb' diet for a while lost weight but it was just put back on later because it isn't a lifestyle you can stick to.. Just seems like a quick fix for some that is hard to maintain in the long run. Not trying to be rude or insult any who are doing it. I'm just curious about your reason's behind choosing it.

I am sticking to it just fine... I cut out grains. Nothing more and my carbs are between 50 and 75 a day. It wasn't intended to be a low carb diet, just turned out to be that way. And it's so easy to NOT eat grains... once you know what they masquerade as in foods - it's even easier if you just avoid all processed "just add water" type foods.
  • LosingLizard
    Options

A few reasons....

This article got me curious, so I started reading books, and it started to make a whole lot of sense.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?scp=1&sq=what if its all been a big fat lie?&st=cse

I low carb, but not in the Atkins way. I don't count, I just knocked out all the processed carbs, except for treats. I eat fruits and veggies until my heart is content, because no one will ever be able to convince me that fruit is bad, regardless of how many carbs it has. I still eat potatoes and squash, because I love them and they have lots of nutrients. I eat a moderate amount of steel cut oats as oatmeal, and I will occasionally eat grains, like barley and brown rice, but I keep the grains to once or twice a week at most.

But gone is anything made primarily from flour and/or processed - pasta, bread, crackers, cereals, white rice, and the like. I pretty much did away with anything that has a wrapper, except for frozen meat and veggies (with no additives).

I said that article got me curious and researching. I've tried low fat my whole life and it never seems to last and its a constant hunger and craving battle. So, since I wanted to see if there was some merit to what he was saying, this time around, I also read Paleo, Protein Power, Atkins, Dukan, and South Beach to get their viewpoints. Most of them all agree, with the exception of fruit, which seems to be a varying issue.

I took from them what made the most sense to me, which is what I listed above. Sticking with mostly fruits and vegetables as my carb source got rid of my 2pm slump, my afternoon nap, my constant exhaustion, and now I have the energy to exercise, whereas I never did on low fat. I don't crave junk anymore. For me, personal results reign supreme. If I felt this good eating nothing but Cap'n Crunch, I'd be carbing it up right now. But, sadly, I don't.
  • Acg67
    Options

A few reasons....

I said that article got me curious and researching. I've tried low fat my whole life and it never seems to last and its a constant hunger and craving battle. So, since I wanted to see if there was some merit to what he was saying, this time around, I also read Paleo, Protein Power, Atkins, Dukan, and South Beach to get their viewpoints. Most of them all agree, with the exception of fruit, which seems to be a varying issue.

I took from them what made the most sense to me, which is what I listed above. Sticking with mostly fruits and vegetables as my carb source got rid of my 2pm slump, my afternoon nap, my constant exhaustion, and now I have the energy to exercise, whereas I never did on low fat. I don't crave junk anymore. For me, personal results reign supreme. If I felt this good eating nothing but Cap'n Crunch, I'd be carbing it up right now. But, sadly, I don't.

But it seems you went to all like minded sources to confirm your beliefs or interest in low carb instead of actually looking at the entire body of work on it. If you did so, you'd find that Eades, Taubes etc simply make stuff up or cherry pick things to make it seem like something is true but in reality the body of evidence points elsewhere
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's the whole limit or eliminate certain food food groups that is a point of contention.

What difference does it make? Calorie restriction is limiting everything to a certain amount. Low-fat diets are highly limiting fat intake. Low-carb diets can be structured to still allow foods they love whether it be in tiny amounts, or on cheat days.

We were talking about Paleo which as you know =/= low carb

FALSE - PALEO is not low carb...you can still eat a ton of carbs and still be eating the Paleo way...Paleo restricts grains which is a FORM of carbs...it doesn't restrict carbs....
  • Acg67
    Options
    It's the whole limit or eliminate certain food food groups that is a point of contention.

What difference does it make? Calorie restriction is limiting everything to a certain amount. Low-fat diets are highly limiting fat intake. Low-carb diets can be structured to still allow foods they love whether it be in tiny amounts, or on cheat days.

We were talking about Paleo which as you know =/= low carb

FALSE - PALEO is not low carb...you can still eat a ton of carbs and still be eating the Paleo way...Paleo restricts grains which is a FORM of carbs...it doesn't restrict carbs....

Reading comprehension...

reading_is_fundamental.jpg
  • bcattoes
    Options

cuz they're delicious

It is my understanding that the problem with unsaturated fats is that they oxidize (go rancid) much more easily than saturated fats do. Oxidized unsaturated fats aren't metabolized right and clog up the works, basically. Fresh unsaturated fats, like in fresh avocados, are awesome. Old canola oil from your pantry is yuck.

Yeah, a lot of old food is bad for you. I can see why that should make one want to eat fresh food, but not why it would make one think bacon, butter and steak is healthier than extra virgin olive oil or avocados or nuts or other forms of unsaturated fat, provided they are not old, of course

Personally I'd take old canola oil over old bacon any day. :sick:
  • LosingLizard
    Options

A few reasons....

But it seems you went to all like minded sources to confirm your beliefs or interest in low carb instead of actually looking at the entire body of work on it. If you did so, you'd find that Eades, Taubes etc simply make stuff up or cherry pick things to make it seem like something is true but in reality the body of evidence points elsewhere

Why are you only reading one sentence and using that to argue? Please note the "I've tried low fat" and the "this time around" which clearly indicate that these are not the only books I've read, nor is this the only thing I've tried. Would you like a list?

I've also read Eat to Live, The Omnivore Dilemma, Suzanne Sommer's food combining thing, The Zone, Scarsdale, Andrew Weil, Where Did All the Fat Go (Dr H from Biggest Loser's book), Jillian Michaels, Jackie Werner's This is Why You're Fat, Carbohydrate Addicts, Sugar Busters, Jorge Cruz's books, French Women Don't Get Fat, Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat, Dr Oz, that 17 Day Diet thing, the weight watchers materials, The Kind Diet, Skinny B!!ch, the Primal Blueprint. Did I miss anything that came out in the past 15 years, except for the Mediterranean, which I purposely ignored because I hate Mediterranean food? Because if I did, I'm sure I read that too. I'm a fat girl, I read them all, hoping the next one will be better, and will finally work. And those are just the diet books. That's not counting all the ones I read on Running, Yoga, and general exercise that also offered their own diet opinions, nor does it count all the internet articles and web sites and forums either.

I've done my research. I've experimented on myself. Modified low carb is the winner.
  • Acg67
    Options

A few reasons....

Why are you only reading one sentence and using that to argue? Please note the "I've tried low fat" and the "this time around" which clearly indicate that these are not the only books I've read, nor is this the only thing I've tried. Would you like a list?

I've also read Eat to Live, The Omnivore Dilemma, Suzanne Sommer's food combining thing, The Zone, Scarsdale, Andrew Weil, Where Did All the Fat Go (Dr H from Biggest Loser's book), Jillian Michaels, Jackie Werner's This is Why You're Fat, Carbohydrate Addicts, Sugar Busters, Jorge Cruz's books, French Women Don't Get Fat, Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat, Dr Oz, that 17 Day Diet thing, the weight watchers materials, The Kind Diet, Skinny B!!ch, the Primal Blueprint. Did I miss anything that came out in the past 15 years, except for the Mediterranean, which I purposely ignored because I hate Mediterranean food? Because if I did, I'm sure I read that too. I'm a fat girl, I read them all, hoping the next one will be better, and will finally work. And those are just the diet books. That's not counting all the ones I read on Running, Yoga, and general exercise that also offered their own diet opinions, nor does it count all the internet articles and web sites and forums either.

I've done my research. I've experimented on myself. Modified low carb is the winner.

No need to get defensive, reading diet books =/= research
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Enjoying an epic lunch right now of wild caught shrimp, pastured pork jowl, scrambled eggs, brussel sprouts, kerrygold butter, and avocado oil. I could eat this kind of food forever <3
  • Nightingale77
    Nightingale77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Okay so the way I understand it, the body burns carbs before it burns fat so the lower the carbs, the quicker your body will burn the fat. Whenever I eliminate some of the sugars (carbs) in my diet, I tend to lose weight.