Tips From a Cashier/Cashier Rant

Options
I thought this might be fun, especially for those of you who have worked as a cashier before.
But I thought I'd throw up a post where those of us who have been cashiers, can post things that really irked us, things customers would do.
I use to cashier for Target before I moved across country, us employee's had a running list of our pet peeves.

*Not using a bar to separate orders. I don't read minds, I can't tell where your order starts and stops.

*Don't ask me if I'm 'open'. I'm standing right here, my light is on, I'm looking at you, YES I'M OPEN.

*Don't wait till the last five minutes we're open to try and check out. I realize you probably think "oh but I'm just one person" no, your not, because everybody is thinking that. People like you are the reason that we not only close 20 minutes later than we're supposed to, but also the reason that regardless of the fact that I was supposed to get off at 11:30, I now have to stay until 12am to catch up on zoning.

*If you suddenly decide you don't want something, hand it to me, don't put it on the drink cooler or ontop of the gum display. Would you like somebody doing that to you?

*If you have a cold item that you get to the register and decide you don't want, PLEASE take it back to the freezer, if you don't, no matter how long you've had it out, we HAVE TO THROW IT AWAY. Such a waste of good food.

*If you read a sign wrong, don't expect me to still mark down the item. First of all, it's not even for this item, second of all, It's not our fault you read just what you wanted to see instead of the whole sign.

*Don't talk on your cell phone while we're checking you out, it's rude.

*When we try to sell you something like a store card, don't get an attitude with me, if I don't ask you, I could lose my job.

*Try to keep in mind that all cashiers do, is check people out. We don't control prices, we don't control inventory, we don't control whether or not a product is damaged. If while I'm checking you out, I notice one of your items is damaged and am nice enough to tell you, don't go ape**** on me; I didn't have to tell you.

*Cashiers are people too, you may be having a bad day, but remember that we have our own problems. Taking out your anger on us... It does nobody any good. We have our own problems, not to mention we've been standing for 8+ hours and are tired too but we're still friendly (or at least I was).

*While unloading your products onto my conveyor belt, please let it make sense. Don't give me two things of cleaner than a long line of random food items followed by clothes, more cleaner and other random crap. We have to bag things a certain way, cold food with cold food, cans with cans, cleaners/non-food items separate, not to mention we're scored on our speed, the longer it takes you to unload your belt, the more likely it is I'll get 'talked to' about being to slow.

*If I can't give you proper directions, don't get mad at me. I'm exhausted. Here's a map.

*If you're returning an item and it's past the 90 day return policy, yelling at me won't suddenly turn back time. You missed the 90 day's, the end.

*Yes, I notice when you stare at my boobs. It's rude and it makes me uncomfortable to the point where I want to quit my job.

*I don't know what kids are into these days. Drugs? Don't ask me.

*I truly appreciate customers who are friendly and are willing to hold a conversation with me. I'm more likely to help them out if something goes wrong. I'm also more likely to offer them a discount on an item with an extra coupon I have (yes it's allowed don't worry).

*Being rude to me and expecting me to still want to help you is not how it works. If you're rude to me, I will not go above and beyond to satisfy you, I will do jack **** and let you leave pissed. I'm a human being, not a floor mat.

*I don't mind throwing away your trash for you, I have a trash can, but don't leave it at my register without saying a word. It's extremely disrespectful.

*Don't make comments about my weight, when the hell is that an appropriate thing to do to a stranger?

*Don't hit on me, especially after you've been staring at my boobs. Especially since I look 15 and you're definitely older than thirty.

*If you put an item on my belt that weighs more than 30lbs, don't expect me to lift it. Take note of my size, there is no way in hell I'll do that without breaking my back.

*Extreme coupon'ers.. We hate you. I realize you save a boatload of cash but you don't need thirty things of mayo and I don't want to sit here for an hour reading all your coupons to make sure you're within the coupon rules.
T.T

I realize I probably come off like a ***** but... being a cashier changes you. It shows you how people really are, makes you bitter. =p

Anybody have anything more to add?

Replies

• Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Is that all you got? :noway:
  • No but if I post all the complaints than nobody else will have anything to add. =P I don't know how much it varies. That was just my experience at Target.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    No but if I post all the complaints than nobody else will have anything to add. =P I don't know how much it varies. That was just my experience at Target.

Let me suggest, as diplomatically as I can, that you should consider another line of work, if you haven't already. Clearly, you don't have the temperament to work with the public.

But neither did I at your age. I worked at a 7-11 store from the time I was 15 until I was about 21, I guess. Jesus, I hated people. In fact, I actually wore a button on my 7-11 jacket that said, "I hate people." No kidding. It was my uncle's store and that's the only reason I got away with it, I'm guessing.

Some of the stuff you mention, however, isn't going to go away just because you change jobs. People will always comment on your weight if, as it appears, you're a full-grown woman who weighs less than the average-sized cocker spaniel. I was shocked when I saw your profile and your pictures. I'm sorry to say that, but it's true. So are the people who go through your line.

What you do about that is up to you.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    That list got too long and I didn't feel like reading it all. I was a cashier at Wal-Mart...the worst store in the world to work at but one of the best to go to when I'm have absolutely nothing else better to do with your time.'

Anyway, I hate when I turn off my light and check out the last person and the next thing I know I see three more people get in my line. I simply say "I'm closed" and they usually go away.

Having to do a price check and no one answers the damn phone in their department.

People who don't check to make sure they item they are buying has a freaking bar code on it.

The fact that we weren't allowed to accept "tips". I work for minimum wage, I'm gonna take a $2 tip or even a hog dog (as someone offered one day) cause I can't afford lunch!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I used to work at Home Depot - men would bring up a loaded flat bed and wouldn't lift a finger to help as I'm trying to lift their 90 pounds of plywood to scan a bar code on the items underneath. It drove me crazy.

I work in an office now. I'm pretty sure the phone directory says if you want to ramble on for hours to someone who has no idea what you're talking about here's who to call and gives my number. After I told someone today I didn't work in the department he needed, I didn't know anything that could possibly help him since I didn't work in that department he still proceeded to talk for 15 minutes. I offered to transfer him to the proper people but he declined and continued telling his story. Okay then.

Still not as wild as the woman who told me her vagina hurts. I may never meet anyone that tops that. I do not work in an office that has anything to do w/vaginas.
  • Package02
    Package02 Posts: 97
    Options
    I used to cashier at Target too. Still work there, but just part-time in the backroom now. I read your entire list, yes all of it, and you pretty much hit all my complaints that I would have added. Nothing more annoying than when I'm off at 9, turn my light off on my lane two mins before, and while ringing up my last guest three more show up in my line XD Also, which you mentioned already, how people don't put down a divider. How am I supposed to know what you're buying and what the person I'm ringing up is buying. Takes two seconds, put it down. Even with my complaints though I still love cashiering. It only takes one good person to make me forget about all the bad. I love when a little kid comes to my line who is actually polite and uses manners when talking to me and then thanks me when I hand them their bag. It restores my faith in future generations lol
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    I was a cashier as my first job and a few others down the road. It definitely helped to solidify my desire to get out of retail.

- Put your money in the cashier's hands. Cashiers don't make you scrape your change off the counter, so don't make them scrape your payment from there either.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I worked as a cashier at a discount sports shop.... never again!

We were understaffed, i had to deal with finding people shoes, items, selling them the items, people returning items and general enquiries which is impossible at the busiest times as people are everywhere and id get shouted at by the public for not seeing to them quick enough ... explaining that you are doing 4 peoples work for minimum wage usually made them pipe down a little ... I left that job asap
  • TopazCarey
    TopazCarey Posts: 263
    Options
    Omg, I love this. I used to be a cashier at a gift shop at Cedar Point and omg, if I had a dime for every time someone asked where the bathroom is or such and such ride, I'd be rich. It was annoying sometimes, but I always tried to be nice and cordial, besides, they didn't know the last 20 guests I spoke with asked the same exact questions.

Oh and not to mention how many guests got pissed off at me because the prices were so astronomical! I don't set the prices, honey, I just ring you up. But you're at Cedar Point, what did you expect?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Yeah you may not like talking to strangers but when I try to say hi and start a conversationn with you I expect a reply, not for you to sit there thinking you are higher than me cos I work in fast food to pay the bills whilst in school.

Also! If I am taking drive thrus money and you are waiting on front counter and i have told you politely i will be a moment, do NOT whilstle. I am not a ****ing dog!
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    *Don't hit on me, especially after you've been staring at my boobs. Especially since I look 15 and you're definitely older than thirty.

It gets worse when you're a student nurse, trust me. But I totally feel your pain with this one!!
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My first job was a cashier at target. HATED it! Of course after that I ended up cashiering/customer service for a sporting goods store for awhile (even ended up being the customer service desk manager). I NEVER want to work in retail again. :drinker:

p.s. yes to all of your complaints, I'm sure I've thought of them all myself before

$%28KGrHqJ,!h4E68Wwu%29mbBO58sOqTnw~~60_57.JPG
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Is that all you got? :noway:

:laugh: so true!

Men, wear a shirt - you are shopping, not sun-bathing, and I only want to be that close to a naked chest if it is my husband's, eurgh.

Please and thank you cost nothing.

If you hold up the queue apologise to the person behind you, it's not my fault so why should I apologise? If it IS my fault THEN it's my place to say sorry.

Ladies, pyjamas are not appropriate attire when shoppping. It makes you look chavvy and cheap.

Do not consume anything until you've paid for it. If you want your child to stuff its face while you shop buy the items and THEN continue shopping. I don't want to touch some skanky half eaten chocolate bar or baguette that is covered in your child's spit. :sick:

I'll let someone else continue, I'm getting all riled now... :explode:
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    "Do you work here?"

Would you wear this ill-fitting navy blue apron, green checked shirt and company logo name badge for funsies? Also, I'm sat at a checkout - what do you reckon?

"I wouldn't want you to get bored" (when there is a 2 second break between customers and I'm cleaning the conveyor frantically because someboody threw unbagged, muddy potatoes on there - yet again)

Yeah, because I wouldn't want to have 3 seconds without this fake grin on my face in my shift, obviously. I was actually enjoying the peace and quiet.

"What time do you finish, love?" (Always by some old, creepy guy)

I am sooo not telling you that, you'll blatantly be waiting by my car with your favourite murderin' axe!

"I need you to show me where the (insert item here) is" (when I'm sat at a checkout, serving, with queue of people waiting)

People putting their whole basket with all their goods in it on the conveyor without unpacking it - grrrrr!

"You don't mind change do you?" (I once took over £5 in 2ps for cigarettes, which the 'gent' threw on the counter at me and I had to count all of it, on a busy Saturday lunchtime. And it wouldn't fit in the till! :noway:

Working in retail makes you never want to work with people again! I think everyone should have to at some point though, it would make the world a nicer place. I am turbo nice to cashiers now, as I know full well what sort of day they are having!
  • megannicolex33
    Options
    I know how you feel. I don't work as a cashier, but I do work at the front desk of a hotel and you wouldn't believe the amount of stupid people I talk to on a daily basis. Sometimes people will call me and say, "Can you give me the phone number to the Marriott in _________ (insert random city here)?" Like... why would I know that? I have to look it up on google. It's such an annoyance.

Another thing: when you call the hotel, a recording plays with options at the end. Press 1 for reservations, 2 for directions, etc. People press 4 for the front desk and then say "Hi, can I make a reservation?" and of course I'm like "sure, I'll transfer you to reservations!" But seriously. LISTEN TO THE MENU.

There's a lot more, but those are just two examples. Working in customer service can be really frustrating at times. I do enjoy my job, but there are just some really ignorant people in the world.. haha
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I was a cashier as my first job and a few others down the road. It definitely helped to solidify my desire to get out of retail.

- Put your money in the cashier's hands. Cashiers don't make you scrape your change off the counter, so don't make them scrape your payment from there either.
    I use to accidentally on purpose drop a few coins which makes them scramble to pick it up. Only if they put the money on the counter instead of in my waiting hand.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Hehehe, great to see I'm not the only person who is completely intolerant when having to work with the public xD I always thought I was just getting old and grumpy, aha.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    No but if I post all the complaints than nobody else will have anything to add. =P I don't know how much it varies. That was just my experience at Target.

Let me suggest, as diplomatically as I can, that you should consider another line of work, if you haven't already. Clearly, you don't have the temperament to work with the public.

Some of the stuff you mention, however, isn't going to go away just because you change jobs. People will always comment on your weight if, as it appears, you're a full-grown woman who weighs less than the average-sized cocker spaniel. I was shocked when I saw your profile and your pictures. I'm sorry to say that, but it's true. So are the people who go through your line.

What you do about that is up to you.

*sighs*

Why did you have to pick on that one thing in the whole of the OP? Needless and rude IMO.

Oh, and I could relate to every single thing on the list, yet my customer service is impeccable. Just because customers irritate us doesn't necessarily mean that we have to lower ourselves to their standards.

There. That feels better.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
    From someone who has worked as cashier/customer service in many different shops.
  • sampa91
    sampa91 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I actually love being a cashier! I currently work as a waitress and it is horrible... I would choose customer service/retail over ****ty hospitality any day! I only bring you your food and take your order but when I do I would muchly appreciate it if you didnt look at me with such disgust like I am a piece of dirt on your shoe. Yes, omg did you not notice I am a human being? With feelings?!?? Who woulda guessed it! This restaurant isn't even "snooty" like you sooo what are you doing here you mutton dressed up as lamb. Go home!! Ah thats all ;)