Tips From a Cashier/Cashier Rant

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I find emails and such like this just whining. Why? If you do not like your job or where you work it is simple....move on. If you are not happy being a cashier, go to college progress in life.

Instead of emails like this I would rather read something like this.... to the last customer in the store when I was at the cash register, THANK YOU. It was you who made me realize what dead end job I had. Since then I moved on to college and now I am a high priced lawyer....

Or THANK YOU final customer at the cash register, thanks to you shopping at my work I had a job that put me through college and did not have to take my clothes off on a pole to do it.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I find emails and such like this just whining. Why? If you do not like your job or where you work it is simple....move on. If you are not happy being a cashier, go to college progress in life.

Some of us are in school and need a part-time job to help pay our bills... As I said in my post, not all of us are uneducated idiots.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Oh oh also. If you come to the fast food restaurant I work in and you ask for salt to put on your food, I judge you *so* hard. It's already got a ton in!

Also I hate people who have a massssive wodge of notes (UK, so it's not like they could be $1 bills) that they rifle through trying to find one to pay with. Yes, I've been there before where I happen to have three 20s in my purse and that's all so I have to pay for something that's like £1.99 with one, but why would anyone carry more than £200 just in their regular billfold thing?

What? Now we can't ask for salt or have money? Are. You. Serious?
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Instead of emails like this I would rather read something like this.... to the last customer in the store when I was at the cash register, THANK YOU. It was you who made me realize what dead end job I had. Since then I moved on to college and now I am a high priced lawyer....

It's NOT a complaint about our job. I happen to LOVE serving those decent, lovely customers and enjoy meeting them... But some of you need to understand that just because we're serving you, it doesn't make us your SLAVE.
    Have a bit of common decency and stop treating us like ****.

Also, I found this thread more humorous than whiny... Because it's all so ridiculous, yet so true.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

First off, this isn't an e-mail. Secondly, a lot of people work these jobe WHILE in college in order to pay for college. Shocking information, I know.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I worked as a cashier and on the shop floor. I hated it, but I think as long as you're not actually complaining to the customer and you're getting the job done then what's the harm?
    I constantly moaned about my job when I wasn't working, and I advised everyone I spoke to never to work for the particular company I worked for at the time.

It put money in the bank, that's all I was concerned of as a college student!

I actually had people shout abuse at me because they thought an item they gave me was on 'sale' and it wasn't, I proved them wrong by showing them the offer was for a different item and they flipped and complained to my supervisor.
    I don't understand what's wrong with some people, what's wrong with being nice to the person that's serving you? I'm always nice to the cashier whenever I'm shopping, and to all the floor staff. It's a hard job to be on the floor.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    For me, these are the most divisive threads ever. Worse than the racial ones. May I kindly recommend this idea of a place to rant by cashiers be taken to a private group? Just for my own sanity. As a shopper. Okay as a shopaholic?

you could probably just stay out of the thread
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I barely read the old OP and skimmed the comments.

My take people suck whatever your job is. You could be the most qualified doctor in the world and have a patient yelling at you for not prescribing them perscription pain killers, or be a pure research scientist and have your boss yelling at you for no reason.

It's work people you have a job yeah it can suck at times, but it's the nature of the beast as long as you are working with humans.

Either suck it up buttercup or find a new job, but expect new problems.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've never been a cashier, but I worked in retail (high end shoe stores) all through university so I totally empathize with the frustration of having to serve the general public day in and day out.

The most annoying/hilarious request was customers who would hand me a shoe and say "can I have this in my size please?"

"Certainly, what size do you wear?"

"Oh, um. I don't know"

????? How can so many people not know their shoe size? How did the expensive shoes they are currently wearing get into their wardrobe if they have never bought shoes before?
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    *Don't hit on me, especially after you've been staring at my boobs. Especially since I look 15 and you're definitely older than thirty.

It gets worse when you're a student nurse, trust me. But I totally feel your pain with this one!!

It's even worse when you work as a CNA or nurse in a nursing home, because boundaries disappear, and they don't even bother with hitting on you first. They just go in for the kill and pretend that their eyesight is THAT bad..
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Oh. And don't tell me about your herpes. I. Don't. Want. To. Know.

And if you threaten to dismember me, I will refuse to check you out. Same with spitting on me, laying our hands on me and threatening me and telling me you are going to follow me out and either harm me or my car. All because I wouldn't accept an expired coupon or your card was declined.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Oh. And don't tell me about your herpes. I. Don't. Want. To. Know.

And if you threaten to dismember me, I will refuse to check you out. Same with spitting on me, laying our hands on me and threatening me and telling me you are going to follow me out and either harm me or my car. All because I wouldn't accept an expired coupon or your card was declined.

Oh my god, this. I'm not sure why customers think a cashier has ANY say over whether their card is accepted or not. It's a big hassle for me as well when your card is declined.

I would also like to add: Please stop trying to give me a tip. I'm glad you appreciate my service, really, but I'm not lying to you when I tell you our company doesn't allow cashiers to be tipped. And no, I can't just put it in the till *wink wink*. Overages in my till mean I get audited >_<
  • Dame_Venus
    Dame_Venus Posts: 44
    Options
    I liked cashiering because I got to talk to people. I work a desk job now and it gets lonely at times.

Anyhow, something I always found weird about my former job was how many times I heard the words "I'm entitled to...."

For example, one summer our A/C was out for a day. A woman walked in and got upset about it, she had not even picked up anything to buy but came to my register and said "I'm entitled to a discount because the heat is an inconvenience for me."

Or when people brought me expired coupons they would say "I'm entitled to that money off." Once it was for 2 dollars on a purchase that was over 100 dollars.

Sometimes when things were not in stock they would say "I'm entitled to "product A"" and so on.

I heard the term at least once a day.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    *Don't hit on me, especially after you've been staring at my boobs. Especially since I look 15 and you're definitely older than thirty.

It gets worse when you're a student nurse, trust me. But I totally feel your pain with this one!!

It's even worse when you work as a CNA or nurse in a nursing home, because boundaries disappear, and they don't even bother with hitting on you first. They just go in for the kill and pretend that their eyesight is THAT bad..

I'm currently a student nurse! On the wards I get all the old men thinking they can touch me when I'm giving them a wash or making their bed! Some of them are flattering because they compliment you and then others just grab at you! I've had to make complaints against some patients because they were harrassing me and the other nurses were worried.

And then of course you get the really ungrateful ones, who no matter what you do it isn't good enough for them. I'm a very patient person, and I love being a nurse, there has only be one man who got on my nerves so much I refused to go back to him for the rest of the day because of how he acted.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I also sold electronics at Circuit City.

Hey, so did I! Circuit City was definitely way better than Chick-Fil-A or Walmart where I also worked in high school and college *shudder* Thank freaking goodness I finally graduated and got a real job.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I wrote one of these 6 years ago when I was a cashier

might be some swearing

this proves that i had to much time on my hands at work...so i thought up some basic rules and considerations when going through a cashier...

1) Don't be my first customer in the morning. I don't care if you're the ****ing archbishop of the Catholic church, I'm going to hate you.

2) Don't look at me in complete disgust when I ask you for a membership card, it's my ****ing job...I know that there are to many cards in this world, but it's still my ****ing job to ask.

3) If you are a member of the place you're shopping at, I shouldn't have to ask for the card...get it out and ready for me...do you know how many times a day i say "are you a worklife rewards member"...you try it.

4) If you're standing infront of a sign that says "till closed" don't expect service...THE TILL IS CLOSED!!!

5) When asking for your phone number in order for you to gain points, don't give it to me like rapid artillery...go slow damn you!

6) Why the hell would you put your purchase as far away from my reach as possible? Do you think I love straining myself to grab your ****?

7) Take your **** out of the basket!! Don't just plop it on the counter and proceed to pick your nose!

8) Please don't fart at my till. You get to walk away, I don't!

9) I don't make the prices!!! If you get it cheaper somewhere else, by all means **** off and go there!!

10) I don't order the products either. If we're out of stock, sucks to be you.

11) Don't throw your money at me! Hand it to me like a civilized human being. I'm not a stripper, nor am I homeless, therefore I don't deserve to have pennies thrown at me.

12) When I answer the phone, I don't give a **** who you are or who you work for. Tell me what the **** you want, or who you want to talk to as fast as possible.

13) If you're in a huge line, and you hear me ask each and every damn person for their membership card, get yours ready. While you're at it, get your method of payment ready because you're the ****s that are holding up the line while you dig around for change.

14) If you grabbed the wrong product, or forgot something, you automatically forfeit your place in line. I'm not holding everyone else up while you **** around.

15) When a new cashier opens a till and says "I can help the next person in line" that doesn't mean the last person...wait your ****ing turn!! People have been waiting longer then you, just because you're faster doesn't mean you deserve to be served first.

16) Although I am ****ing amazing, I don't know the exact price of every god damn thing in the store.

17) If you see me standing next to a till, and I have THE ONLY LIGHT ON IN THE WHOLE STORE...that means I'm open, you don't have to ask.

18) If you have a complaint, I don't care. Don't come to me and think I can fix everything, I'm just a ****ing cashier!

19) Stop asking me if we're going to open another till, clearly if I could get you ****s away from me and pawn you off on someone else, I would.

*no I'm not a cashier anymore, I was putting myself through University...and a LOT of people have felt the same when I posted this on my facebook, so no I don't care if you think I was cranky, it was just a joke.
  • thetruthrevealed
    Options
    (1) When i was a cashier and was working for one of the best supermarkets in America, about 3-4 times a day a customer in my line would tell me that they had forgotten their debit and or credit card needed for the transaction. Whats strange is that majority of them dont even ask me if they could go and get it outside. Alot of them tell me Ohh, i accidentally forgot it, its outside in my car. They tell me that its right around the corner and they will be a minute or two. but the reality is that alot of them take literally 10 minutes. Now, i can easily wait for you if there is no one else in the line, but half the time there are other people that come in my line.
    (2) To customers: Do not knock into the payment machine with your cart. i know you do it deliberately because this happens to me at least 3-4 times usually on a daily basis. Sometimes I have to go and get my supervisor to fix the thing while this limits the amount of customers in my line.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Note to self: Start knocking over the cars at the supermarket. They're full of credit cards.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

2) Don't look at me in complete disgust when I ask you for a membership card, it's my ****ing job...I know that there are to many cards in this world, but it's still my ****ing job to ask.

11) Don't throw your money at me! Hand it to me like a civilized human being. I'm not a stripper, nor am I homeless, therefore I don't deserve to have pennies thrown at me.

14) If you grabbed the wrong product, or forgot something, you automatically forfeit your place in line. I'm not holding everyone else up while you **** around.

LOL, been there with these
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I realize I probably come off like a ***** but... being a cashier changes you. It shows you how people really are, makes you bitter. =p

I can relate. Being a waitress at any point in your life makes you hate humanity too.