Tips From a Cashier/Cashier Rant

Options

Replies

• *It's weird when you look at my nametag and use my name. I don't know you...

Really? That's funny, because another cashier bi***ed because people didn't use her name even though it was right there on the name tag.

I guess it just goes to show that there is no set of universal rules to follow to keep you folks happy.

Well I don't like it because only creepy old men would do it. I myself look like I'm 15 even though I'm 20. So having an older man stare at my boobs, before looking at my name tag, using my name and giving me a creepy smile, it just bothers me now.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm probably gonna get flack for this and please understand that it is a generalized statement and does not apply to every person in customer service.

After living in another part of the world, I have come to realize that America, in general, doesn't have the best customer service. I think many are pleasant but rarely do I walk away being truly impressed. Yet in other places, I am bowled over by the care I recieve and sometimes for simple things.

Again, this is not to say that there is no good customer service in America. I would, however, describe most of it as mediocre. A lot, I think, has to do with the training.

For the record, I have done this job too.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I work in a small supermarket in a small town in the UK. And agree with everything you said. The abuse we have to deal with day in day out is depressing.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    ps I DO NOT MAKE THE EFFING PRICES my store is nationally owned... it is head offices hello?!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I work in a fast food restaurant from 10-5 there is another cashier there from 12-3 but other than that I am on my own doing drive thru and front counter. If you decide to walk in the store at the exact same time as a car pops up and I start to take their order do not WHILSTLE at me, I am not a dog. This is a stressful job and I am doing the best I can.
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i work in a grocery store and some people drive me nuts!!! its like seriously? people have NO respect anymore! they are rude, insulting, and sometimes just plain stupid! sure, go ahead and scream at me for something that rang up 20 cents difference in front of my line of 15 customers because thats the right thing to do... so glad im getting stuck in the office from now on. i dont have the patience for ignorant people!
  • thetruthrevealed
    Options
    This is regarding customers. I have worked as a grocery store cashier for 4 years. Please spread the word about what goes on because i have experience just about everything. If you are a customer:
    (1) Do not take an item(s) out a cashier's hand after you ask him or her if they are done. Only ask the cashier something if you want it, but i only allow this if its one or a few items--not a dozen or more items. So even if you ask politely if you can have a dozen or more items i will not allow you to take a dozen or more items out of my hands after i immediately scan them. When a customer asks a cashier "Are you done" and the cashier says they are done, it means that I am done scanning the items, but it doesn't mean I am done bagging your groceries. And just because i say yes to your done doesnt give you the right to take many items out of my hands one by one. And what exactly do you mean when you ask are you done? Yes i am done scanning but it doesnt mean im done bagging your groceries. If you would like me to give you an item or even a few items okay. But do not stand up there taking an item out of my hand a dozen times or more. How would you like if i kept doing that 15-20 times. If you want to bag the groceries yourself i will let you do that. But please wait until i put the items in the back or some place in order for you to do what you want to do with them. And do not put reach across and or put your hands in the scanning area and take items from off the scanning area. That is the job of the cashier not a customer. And if you do this customers, it should not be something where you are doing this throughout half of the transaction.
    (2) Do not ask me to put an item into a certain bag after i already put in one unless there is good reason to do so. For example, if i had put something where it didnt belong then ok, but most of the time if not all of the time people dont have good enough reasons for telling me to put an item into a certain bag.
    (3) Please do not take the bags from off the hooks while my hands are still on the plastic bags and they are in the process of coming off the hooks. If you want to take the plastic bags from off the hooks, why not simply ask me or take them off the hooks when my hands and fingers are not on the plastic bag. Also, why would you feel the need to take the plastic bags from off the hooks exactly at the same time i am removing the plastic bags from off the hooks. (Because alot of plastic bags are filled with items, a cashier cannot remove the plastic bags from off the hooks fast enough before customer takes the plastic bag from off the hooks.) But the problem is customer is removing the plastic bag at the same time cashier is removing the plastic bag from off the hooks.
    (4) If you say you forget to give me a coupon, i find it odd how you will have a closed fist with a coupon in your hand and how convenient that you all of a sudden just remembered to give me that coupon that came out of the hand that you made a closed fist with. Its strange that when I immediately after i press the button how some of you feel the need to give me a coupon the split second after i hit the button. Its always strange how they never give me a coupon like 10 seconds or more after i hit the button but immediately after i hit the button. Keep in mind i am referring to customers who have given me at least several coupons and then decide to give me the very very last coupon immediately after i press the button.
    (5) Yes, i agree with a lot of other people on this board. I have had the same problems with customers wanting me to take change out of their hands, mainly its the senior citizens that i have found do this to me while I have also experienced some younger customers to have done this as well.
    (6) Yes, I also have the same problem of many many customers putting mostly food items on top of magazine racks along my line.
    (7) Don't tell me that this is your first time shopping in this grocery store or supermarket when i have seen you before in other lines where the cashier has checked you out before. Dont pretend to not know what button you have to press if you want to use debit or credit. I have seen you many many times before in other lanes being checked out. Dont tell me that this is your first time you are using debit or credit when you came in my line.
    (8) Also, Dont tell me there is something wrong with the pen just because you pretend to not know how to use it.
    (9) Do not tell me that you forgot to bring your debit or credit card with you and ask me if you could go out there to the parking lot and get it from out of your car. Some of you wont even have the decency to ask me if it would be ok. You just say things like Ohh, i left my debit or credit card in the car. Wait here. No, i will not wait. No cashier should have to put up with a customer who not only walks out of the cashier's line but walks out of the store to get their debit or credit card. I dont care when you say to me "ohh, it'll only be a minute its right around the corner, ill hurry up and be fast. It wouldnt be so bad if you came back fast. But some of you it takes 10 minutes to come back. ridiculous.
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    *complains*

9la5ar.png
  • mio_amore
    mio_amore Posts: 29
    Options
    I worked as a cashier in this Greek restaurant and the customers I had seemed to always want to change their order AFTER I had already called it in AND pressed to print the receipt. They're like "oops! i decided i want to add such and such" or 'no i dont want that anymore' so I have to refund and re call it to the kitchen that it changed and hoped the cooks heard me or else the customers and the waiters/waitresses would give me crap. But my favorite (sarcasm intended) customers are the ones who come in and ask for an item that's clearly NOT on the menu in front of them and ramble on and on about how "the other restaurant on 5th avenue has it and they always give me a discount. Ya'll need to add it too/its a shame you done have it/ I really like that restaurant more" Like seriously? ugh just go there then!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I was a cashier as my first job and a few others down the road. It definitely helped to solidify my desire to get out of retail.

- Put your money in the cashier's hands. Cashiers don't make you scrape your change off the counter, so don't make them scrape your payment from there either.

THIS is my biggest pet peeve. You do this, you have no respect for me, therefore no respect for you. :flowerforyou:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    My tip:

Don't drag your friends who are high as a kite or so drunk they can't walk straight into the store. Just let them sleep in the car.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    My tip:

Don't drag your friends who are high as a kite or so drunk they can't walk straight into the store. Just let them sleep in the car.

Especially if it's into a liquor store. I'm lucky that I work at a liquor store where we don't get as many drunk people as others in town, but we still get a lot of younger people who are high later at night. It gives me a chuckle. We have a regular that comes in intoxicated all the time. I've learned to just tell him, "next time I'm not selling to you, ok?"

-I work for the state (liquor stores in Virginia are state run). If I work 2 minutes over my allotted 28 hours in the week, I get in trouble. So, if you come in right as we're closing, decide to browse the entire store, and I have to stay late, I either have to clock out before I'm finished and stay late without being on the clock, or my a** is in trouble. Also, don't tell me "you're a state employee, you must get awesome benefits" as if I'm all entitled. I'm a part-time employee who gets no benefits.

-Don't b!tch at me and throw things at me if I'm following a procedure that annoys me as much as it annoys you. Like I said, I work for the state... go complain to them

-If I say hi, at least say hi back. We're required to say hi, sure, but it's kinda rude of you to ignore me. If my boss isn't there I could get away with not saying it, but hey, I'm trying to be friendly!

-Don't treat me as if I'm an uneducated idiot, and act surprised when I can do calculations in my head. I have three undergrad degrees, am in grad. school right now, and plan on getting a PhD. I'm working in retail, but that doesn't mean I'm not intelligent. It means I wanted a part-time job at the moment, and that's who would hire me.
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I was a cashier as my first job and a few others down the road. It definitely helped to solidify my desire to get out of retail.

- Put your money in the cashier's hands. Cashiers don't make you scrape your change off the counter, so don't make them scrape your payment from there either.

THIS is my biggest pet peeve. You do this, you have no respect for me, therefore no respect for you. :flowerforyou:

^^^This, this happened to me so many times I eventually started doing it back to them. People would throw their cards at me... you know, the cards that they are supposed to swipe. Or dumping a handful of random money on the counter and expect me to sort / count it. So I got fed up and did it myself. Someone tossed his card at me...i slid it across the counter and it went to the floor cause he was too busy talking on the phone to realize that he was in the middle of a transaction.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,866 Member
    Options
    Everyone should be made to work as a cashier for at least 12 months. Then people may be nicer to that person who has to serve them.
  • slkehl
    Options
    -Don't treat me as if I'm an uneducated idiot, and act surprised when I can do calculations in my head. I have three undergrad degrees, am in grad. school right now, and plan on getting a PhD. I'm working in retail, but that doesn't mean I'm not intelligent. It means I wanted a part-time job at the moment, and that's who would hire me.

I agree. Customers can be very condescending.

Also, I can't stand when a customer is angry to the point of cursing at me. I'll ask if they want to speak with the manager, and they'll say no and go on humiliating me. Most of the time it's about something I had no part in, like how long their meal took to cook or our pricing.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Working with the public was BRUTAL. I WOULD NEVER do customer service ever again. It really did make me bitter towards customers and people in general. Yes, there was the few fabulous customers - followed by a ton of idiotic/dumbf-ck ones.

Though, on a positive side - working in customer service inspired me to go to university so i would never have to work with customers again. Now, instead I have clients and no - they can not use me as a door mat. I just simply show them the door and tell them to never return with management support. :) Plus the pay is a 1000000000x more worth it.

Another thing - when I do go to a store, and I see a miserable cashier...regardless if they are mean to me, I am always pleasant. I know they probably just had to deal with one of those said customers...and usually after I make a joke or pleasant comment, i get the same in return :)

To all those who ever asked "are you open?" when the light is clearly on, the worker is standing there with a uniform on...I just want to say, the cashier is not standing there "just because". Get your head out of your *kitten* and use it.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    just a few things us cashiers are obliged to endure...POLITELY, may i add

-couponers-if they are legally allowed to use multiple coupons, that should be fine. Sure, it's annoying, but we shouldn't get mad at them. THey're just trying to save as much as they can. For all we know, they could be going through a financial crisis (although unlikely if they're buying 30 bottles of mayo)

-if someone asks you where the bathroom/rice/bread/milk is, we have to try our best to answer them with accuracy. If we don't know, just say that. Don't be rude about it.

-customers don't know that we have to pack stuff a certain way. We can't expect them to divide their shopping by category if they don't know

On the other hand, customers, you should never ever ever do this:

-leave food (especially cold) on top of the gum packets! just give it to us!!!
    -NEVER BE RUDE TO THE CASHIER. WE WILL STAB YOU.
  • slkehl
    Options
    Another thing - when I do go to a store, and I see a miserable cashier...regardless if they are mean to me, I am always pleasant. I know they probably just had to deal with one of those said customers...and usually after I make a joke or pleasant comment, i get the same in return :)

Me too! Most customers just treat cashiers like robots. Which admittedly does lead us to act like robots after a few hours of the same routine. But a nice comment or warm smile will jolt us out of that and make us feel like a real human being :) so now when I go out shopping, I try to make conversation with the cashier to break the monotony and make them feel valued.

Also, we do notice when you say thank you :)
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I'm sympathetic to most of the things you mentioned, but I think some of the problems you're dealing with could be better handled by your store, and some by you.
    *Don't ask me if I'm 'open'. I'm standing right here, my light is on, I'm looking at you, YES I'M OPEN.

More than once I've been in a line & all this has been true, and the cashier is not open. Or is busy with something essential and job related that I don't understand. Some people are trying to be polite by not interrupting. Or maybe something's wrong with their vision or they don't get whatever signalling system your store uses.

If people are not getting it, all you have to do is smile and wave them in.
    *If you read a sign wrong, don't expect me to still mark down the item. First of all, it's not even for this item, second of all, It's not our fault you read just what you wanted to see instead of the whole sign.

The signage for pricing is very often wrong at the grocery store I shop at. Lots of room for confusion there too. If this happens a lot, the store's pricing person needs to get it together, the display & price need to make sense and clearly refer to the thing in question. I'm annoyed when I've spent an hour doing math in my head to find it's wrong. And sometimes, the fine print on sales is *really* fine. Like I can read it, but my elderly uncle can't. So if a store is going to label things inappropriately and use TINY-print tactics, the time it takes to explain things to people should be factored in.
    *While unloading your products onto my conveyor belt, please let it make sense. Don't give me two things of cleaner than a long line of random food items followed by clothes, more cleaner and other random crap. We have to bag things a certain way, cold food with cold food, cans with cans, cleaners/non-food items separate, not to mention we're scored on our speed, the longer it takes you to unload your belt, the more likely it is I'll get 'talked to' about being to slow.

You need to take that up with your management, then. Because the order people put things in their carts follows the display and the paths designed by the store's marketing people. That's what shoppers follow. So the stuff in their cart reflects that, not your bagging priorities. Again, management should take that into account. I mean they could just take an average of times accounting for displays in place for the past month, and come up with some realistic targets for you guys.

Most customers are probably not aware that you are scored on your bagging speed. That sucks.

(fyi I am particular about how things get bagged, so I put them on the belt in what i think is a logical way. But I do not see a lot of other people interested in that. So 'making sense' is probably part of the job description too.)
    *If I can't give you proper directions, don't get mad at me. I'm exhausted. Here's a map.

No one should get mad at you, that's awful. But as a representative of the company, you're expected to know where things are at least roughly. People aren't great at reading maps, maybe direct the customer to someone who does know. Don't let them frazzle you, just be confident "I think it's in aisle x, but I'm not sure -- here, Jen can help you better"
    being a cashier changes you. It shows you how people really are, makes you bitter. =p

I can imagine, & am appreciative of how rough it must be. But that's not 'how people really are', that's people in a certain context, in a certain mood, etc. Eg mechanics and doctors see different sides of people than hairdressers do. Not everyone sucks (all the time), you just don't see the non-suck part, unfortunately. Try not to let it ruin your view of people.