Tips From a Cashier/Cashier Rant

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Another thing - when I do go to a store, and I see a miserable cashier...regardless if they are mean to me, I am always pleasant. I know they probably just had to deal with one of those said customers...and usually after I make a joke or pleasant comment, i get the same in return :)

Me too! Most customers just treat cashiers like robots. Which admittedly does lead us to act like robots after a few hours of the same routine. But a nice comment or warm smile will jolt us out of that and make us feel like a real human being :) so now when I go out shopping, I try to make conversation with the cashier to break the monotony and make them feel valued.

Also, we do notice when you say thank you :)

this thread is tl;dr, but...

a few seconds of common courtesy is worth more than the effort expended. i always try to say "hi" and "thanks" and usually "have a good one" as i'm leaving. it's not that these small pleasantries will necessarily make somebody's day, but that it'll remind them that not everyone they deal with all day is a self-absorbed narcissist who is only concerned with how fast they can get through the line and to their car.
  • runlilyrun
    runlilyrun Posts: 140
    Options

"You don't mind change do you?" (I once took over £5 in 2ps for cigarettes, which the 'gent' threw on the counter at me and I had to count all of it, on a busy Saturday lunchtime. And it wouldn't fit in the till! :noway:

Working in retail makes you never want to work with people again! I think everyone should have to at some point though, it would make the world a nicer place. I am turbo nice to cashiers now, as I know full well what sort of day they are having!

I had to give £6 change entirely in 20p pieces yesterday as I'd run our of everything between that and £10 notes - I'd already called my shift manager over to get me more change, and when she saw the inside of my till and I told her what I'd and to do she burst out laughing.
  • runlilyrun
    Options
    - Put your money in the cashier's hands. Cashiers don't make you scrape your change off the counter, so don't make them scrape your payment from there either.
    I use to accidentally on purpose drop a few coins which makes them scramble to pick it up. Only if they put the money on the counter instead of in my waiting hand.

In some countries it's considered rude to hand someone money. You always put it on the counter, not in their hand. I bet a lot of customers who put their money on the counter are doing so for cultural reasons.

Or for hygiene reasons. At the moment I work in fast food and we get a lot of tradespeople with fairly mucky hands. Often they pay by card which means I don't even have to touch their money, which is good for the next half hour of customers' food health!
  • mio_amore
    mio_amore Posts: 29
    Options
    another crazy thing customers do is pay for cheap items with large bills. The other day someone ordered a tazo tea which came to 1.99 with tax and he handed me a hundred dollar bill *face palm*
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options

-NEVER BE RUDE TO THE CASHIER. WE WILL STAB YOU.

I like your style :)
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I worked as a cashier for four years and every day I just bubbled with anger at rude customers. It's so easy to be polite but people treat you like an idiot. I think the things which annoyed me most were talking on the phone and people throwing rubbish on the checkout instead of politely asking me to throw it away.
  • runlilyrun
    Options
    another crazy thing customers do is pay for cheap items with large bills. The other day someone ordered a tazo tea which came to 1.99 with tax and he handed me a hundred dollar bill *face palm*

Are you allowed to take hundred dollar bills? Where I work if we try to take a £50 note (around $80 maybe?) the system refuses and says we have to ask a manager... so we put in that we've been given £49.99 and just give an extra penny in change.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    *If you have a cold item that you get to the register and decide you don't want, PLEASE take it back to the freezer, if you don't, no matter how long you've had it out, we HAVE TO THROW IT AWAY. Such a waste of good food.

Not if you are one of the staff at my local supermarket. They don't care how long it's been out.... their way of temp checking is to feel how cold it is with their hand...if it "feels" like it's 4c then it can go back :noway: I've seen them take the 'temp' of fish & meat from the deli & then take it back AND PUT it back for sale..I've seen them take back milk AND PUT IT BACK FOR SALE.

I complained to not only manager (manager said it's ok as long as it feels cold) and to health dept..... nothing was done cause they still do it.

:noway: :sick:
  • mio_amore
    mio_amore Posts: 29
    Options

Are you allowed to take hundred dollar bills? Where I work if we try to take a £50 note (around $80 maybe?) the system refuses and says we have to ask a manager... so we put in that we've been given £49.99 and just give an extra penny in change.

Unfortunately where I work they do accept hundred dollar bills. I wish my system was like that but our registers are historically old and we have to take whats given. :(
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I hated the one time I was on a checkout, I hate going to a checkout.

self-service-checkout.jpg

TADA!
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    *While unloading your products onto my conveyor belt, please let it make sense. Don't give me two things of cleaner than a long line of random food items followed by clothes, more cleaner and other random crap. We have to bag things a certain way, cold food with cold food, cans with cans, cleaners/non-food items separate, not to mention we're scored on our speed, the longer it takes you to unload your belt, the more likely it is I'll get 'talked to' about being to slow.

Thank you. I've never been a cashier, but I always do this. Try to group things together that should be grouped together. The cleaning products unloaded together. The produce. The colds, the deli stuff. Why is that so damned hard for people to do.

And as a corollary and it drives me nuts because I always do it: If you've got a big order: Start bagging the groceries yourself. I was raised from an early age to help bag the groceries for the cashiers. First it helps them. But more importantly it helps me because I know where everything is when I get home to unload. Instead, most people just stand there with a stupid look on their face, like putting groceries into a bag is some sort of complex science project they couldn't possibly figure out. It's groceries and bags people. You open the bag and put them in. What in the hell is so damned hard about that. Especially if you organize how you put things on the belt. Once you see the cashier is getting near the end of your order, stop bagging so you can be ready to pay for things. Then if you have time, finish helping or get your stuff and leave. And let the next customer get in and be on their way. WTF is so damned hard about that concept?
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Nice way to resurrect a thread.
    I was a cashier in the late 1970's when they first started using bar codes. We didn't have scanners yet and still had to punch in numbers by hand, and yes we were timed on the items-per-minute.

Some other points:

You're walking into the store anyway, bring a shopping cart or two along with you from the parking lot.
    When you are done, either leave the cart in the little cart corral or take the extra 15 steps to bring it up to the door.

When you are standing at the checkout staring at the cashier ringing up your purchases it would be a good time to start rummaging through your purse for whatever hidden form of payment you will be using. Don't wait til they are finished and then act all surprised that its time to pay the piper.

When you are unloading your purchases on the conveyor belt, if you notice the bar code put your items on the belt with the barcode facing up. The cashier may have to turn it upside down for the scanner to read it, but at least they will see where the code is and not have to flip your item around 6 different times looking for the code to line it up with the scanner.

It you are too stupid to understand how to use the Self Service lanes please use the Full Service check-out. It should not take you 5 minutes to purchase 3 items.

Conversation between the cashier and the customer can be nice, but should be over when the last item is rung up. Don't stand around finishing your long story while there is a line of people behind you. Keep in mind most employers instruct their employees not to engage in conversations about politics, religion, etc. So keep your comments about the current administration to yourself.

Although its a current trend to loudly greet each customer the instant they step into your establishment, at least let us IN THE DOOR before you shout "Welcome to Subway!" Most times I can't hear you because my ears are still overcome by the parking lot noises until the door closes behind me. Feel free to wait until I'm up to the counter before addressing me.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was a cashier as my first job and a few others down the road. It definitely helped to solidify my desire to get out of retail.

- Put your money in the cashier's hands. Cashiers don't make you scrape your change off the counter, so don't make them scrape your payment from there either.

THIS is my biggest pet peeve. You do this, you have no respect for me, therefore no respect for you. :flowerforyou:

Yes! I agree w/ this.
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I remember one time a guy got fried chicken and chocolate milk. As cashiers, we are specifically told not to bag hot and cold items together. He saw me putting them in different bags and YELLED at me when he could have just said "you can put them in the same bag." At this point I had been working for 7 hours since 6:00 AM and was exhausted.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is regarding customers. I have worked as a grocery store cashier for 4 years. Please spread the word about what goes on because i have experience just about everything. If you are a customer:
    (1) Do not take an item(s) out a cashier's hand after you ask him or her if they are done. Only ask the cashier something if you want it, but i only allow this if its one or a few items--not a dozen or more items. So even if you ask politely if you can have a dozen or more items i will not allow you to take a dozen or more items out of my hands after i immediately scan them. When a customer asks a cashier "Are you done" and the cashier says they are done, it means that I am done scanning the items, but it doesn't mean I am done bagging your groceries. And just because i say yes to your done doesnt give you the right to take many items out of my hands one by one. And what exactly do you mean when you ask are you done? Yes i am done scanning but it doesnt mean im done bagging your groceries. If you would like me to give you an item or even a few items okay. But do not stand up there taking an item out of my hand a dozen times or more. How would you like if i kept doing that 15-20 times. If you want to bag the groceries yourself i will let you do that. But please wait until i put the items in the back or some place in order for you to do what you want to do with them. And do not put reach across and or put your hands in the scanning area and take items from off the scanning area. That is the job of the cashier not a customer. And if you do this customers, it should not be something where you are doing this throughout half of the transaction.
    (2) Do not ask me to put an item into a certain bag after i already put in one unless there is good reason to do so. For example, if i had put something where it didnt belong then ok, but most of the time if not all of the time people dont have good enough reasons for telling me to put an item into a certain bag.
    (3) Please do not take the bags from off the hooks while my hands are still on the plastic bags and they are in the process of coming off the hooks. If you want to take the plastic bags from off the hooks, why not simply ask me or take them off the hooks when my hands and fingers are not on the plastic bag. Also, why would you feel the need to take the plastic bags from off the hooks exactly at the same time i am removing the plastic bags from off the hooks. (Because alot of plastic bags are filled with items, a cashier cannot remove the plastic bags from off the hooks fast enough before customer takes the plastic bag from off the hooks.) But the problem is customer is removing the plastic bag at the same time cashier is removing the plastic bag from off the hooks.
    (4) If you say you forget to give me a coupon, i find it odd how you will have a closed fist with a coupon in your hand and how convenient that you all of a sudden just remembered to give me that coupon that came out of the hand that you made a closed fist with. Its strange that when I immediately after i press the button how some of you feel the need to give me a coupon the split second after i hit the button. Its always strange how they never give me a coupon like 10 seconds or more after i hit the button but immediately after i hit the button. Keep in mind i am referring to customers who have given me at least several coupons and then decide to give me the very very last coupon immediately after i press the button.
    (5) Yes, i agree with a lot of other people on this board. I have had the same problems with customers wanting me to take change out of their hands, mainly its the senior citizens that i have found do this to me while I have also experienced some younger customers to have done this as well.
    (6) Yes, I also have the same problem of many many customers putting mostly food items on top of magazine racks along my line.
    (7) Don't tell me that this is your first time shopping in this grocery store or supermarket when i have seen you before in other lines where the cashier has checked you out before. Dont pretend to not know what button you have to press if you want to use debit or credit. I have seen you many many times before in other lanes being checked out. Dont tell me that this is your first time you are using debit or credit when you came in my line.
    (8) Also, Dont tell me there is something wrong with the pen just because you pretend to not know how to use it.
    (9) Do not tell me that you forgot to bring your debit or credit card with you and ask me if you could go out there to the parking lot and get it from out of your car. Some of you wont even have the decency to ask me if it would be ok. You just say things like Ohh, i left my debit or credit card in the car. Wait here. No, i will not wait. No cashier should have to put up with a customer who not only walks out of the cashier's line but walks out of the store to get their debit or credit card. I dont care when you say to me "ohh, it'll only be a minute its right around the corner, ill hurry up and be fast. It wouldnt be so bad if you came back fast. But some of you it takes 10 minutes to come back. ridiculous.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I cashiered at a grocery store during my high school years... The number one thing that I always do is bag your meat products. C'mon, did you not notice the giant package of chicken has been dripping nasty chicken juice everywhere? I don't want to touch that and now I have to clean my belt before the next customer can put their groceries down unless they want to have their food covered in a salmonella bath.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You need to take that up with your management, then. Because the order people put things in their carts follows the display and the paths designed by the store's marketing people. That's what shoppers follow. So the stuff in their cart reflects that, not your bagging priorities.

Most cashiers bag wrong, anyway. I put things on the belt in the order I want them bagged, dry, unrefrigerated items together, cold together, cleaning stuff, etc. Yet, maybe 10% of cashiers bag in the order I put things up. I was a cashier and I know how they're taught to bag.

However, I usually bring reusable bags now and bag them myself. So I REALLY want things rung in the order they're on the belt. I cannot even tell you how many times cashiers will reach WAY over the bigger or heavier items that need to be on the bottom to give me the small, crushable items first. Or they give me a few unrefrigerated things, then reach over the rest to give me cold things.

And then there are the cahiers who will tell me I'm bagging my own groceries wrong and give me a hard time for putting a loaf of bread on top of eggs like it's actually going to crush the eggs.

It's a thankless, difficult job, but a lot of people doing it seem to have no common sense.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    hahaha...I cashiered at a fabric store for a bit...but I've been a receptionist and an administrative assistant for years and years....it takes all kinds of bull. Pursuing my RN now..so I can hardly wait for the angry/scared relatives...But it is always easier for me to deal with that genre of people than just the aholes who are rude because they can be.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Bump . . .
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    After working in governmental payroll and accounting for three years, I would be almost tempted to happily return to being a cashier at Wal-mart if it wasn't for the pay cut.

All my once upon a horror stories from Wal-Mart are now so friggin hilarious compared to what I usually have to deal with these days.

Shoot I would go back to working in the drive-thru window at Long John Silvers some days.

True story, I had a man throw groceries at me and flinging them in his buggy with so much force they were bouncing back out, because I kindly told him that I was waiting on a price check, that his wait might be a little delayed and that register 7 behind me didn't have anyone in it. I laugh so hard about that one now.