Could you eat at a calorie deficit for the rest of your life

13»

Replies

• alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    The only benefit to that diet is prolonging the aging process and living longer. Processing calories is costly work on the body. Human cells divides itself up to 52 times before degradation sets in (30s, 40s +). The telomeres (the ends of our DNA structure) shortens after ever cell division, until it is too short to properly divide to make a new cell (skin, organ, bone degradation sets in).

By living on a calorie deficit, it is less work for the body to process calories so the body begins to run more efficiently with less energy and the cell's life cycle slows down. Theoretically, by the age of 50, the cell cycle could be at the same stage as a 35-year-old person with a normal calorie diet.

PROS: The only benefit is slowing down the cell division rate, living longer.
    CONS: missing out on enjoying foods, eating for pleasure. Eating at a calorie deficit for life....is a life sentence.

Really interesting, thanks!
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Well 75% of my TDEE is about 1500 calories so I probably could (this is also my BMR). But, once I get to my goal weight I don't want to lose any more so eating at a defecit won't be the goal. Right now I'm doing the Spike diet plan but slightly modified so I restrict my calories more during the week and bump them up over both weekend days (only to bmr one day and a full two times bmr spike the second) just becaues it fits my lifestyle much better. Once I hit my goal I'll probably eat to around bmr Mon-Fri and Spike all weekend to maintain and keep my metabolism humming along.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    I don't know about a calorie deficit, because a true deficit, where you're constantly eating under what you need, would mean that you would eventually die, because you'd have to consistently adjust that amount down.

Not really, and the OP notes, for whatever reason after a while people's weights settle down despite the deficits. You see this in dieters, we call it a "plateau" people are still eating at a deficit, they just aren't losing more weight for whatever reason. Anyway, they do this in mice and other animals as well. It turns out they live (statistically) significantly longer than animals not on restricted calorie diets.

Personally, I'm not sure I'm willing to do this to live longer, but it's an interesting idea.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    I wouldn't really call a calorie reduction of 25% a "spartan diet", nor is a weight loss of 30 pounds over six months all that unusual. *shrug* Sounds like normal "dieting" to me.

But as to the question? No, I wouldn't want to eat at a deficit forever. The idea is to make the current deficit get gradually smaller until I'm at that happy place known as maintenance and have learned what my body needs.

Although technically speaking, I would still be living at a deficit compared to what I started out at, which I gather from the article is what the participants were doing. It just said they assigned people a calorie amount.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    I learned in one of my metabolism classes that calorie restriction diets increase the amount of the metabolite oxaloacetate (3-carboxy-3-oxopropanoic acid) which has been show to increase life span, and decrease muscle fatigue (among other things).

There is actually a supplement company that that provides a lot of research and peer-reviewed scientific articles on the subject on their website (of course they are trying to sell the stuff! but the articles should be unbiased.)

http://www.aor.ca/html/products.php?id=31
  • AdelaDi
    AdelaDi Posts: 25 Member
    This is an interesting point that you are making:) I think that what we should take from all these studies (I have seen a documentary about similar studies) is that if you are normal/slim and not overweight, your health will only benefit from that.

Personally, I don't think I could constantly monitor my caloric intake for the rest of my life. That would just take up too much time and effort and I'd wind up obsessing about it. What I want to do is stay fit and keep an active exercise schedule, because that makes me feel good and look better.

The way I see it, it would be best to take an example from people I know who are quite slim and healthy. In my family for instance (yeah, I'm the only one far off on the fluffy side..*sigh*), I notice that they are eating very little food; small portions, non-fatty foods, home-cooked. They don't count calories, but they do monitor their weight. That's pretty much what I also plan on doing.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Bump - got to read the article!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Hell no :P

I can't wait to reach my goal weight so I can eat a whole pack of cookies without feeling guilty.

Not that I intend to ever be fat again.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    bump
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    For people who really won't read the article or seem to be confused:

The people in this study (and I assume the people who do this as a lifestyle) are not overweight when they start. That's the difference between the restricted calorie lifestyle and a regular weight-loss diet. This is about someone with a low-end BMI - perfectly healthy - who would maintain on the "typical" 2000-calorie-a-day standard dropping down to 1500 a day and then staying there. THAT is what is going on, here. They lose a bunch of weight. They go from being slim to being noticeably skinny, then they stay that way.

At that point, things within the body and cells seem to change and it affects ageing. Scientists are studying this in order to learn more about ageing. They see the weight-loss as almost a side-effect of what is going on, and it's not really what they're focusing on.
  • Hathorsmuse
    Hathorsmuse Posts: 1 Member
    I read the article and was quite alarmed and I am frankly feeling the same way towards the responses here. I've lived in a calorie deficit for several years; it's called an eating disorder. At it's worst I was trying to burn a pound a day and I nearly died. Living in a calorie deficit is dangerous and addictive and I can tell you from first hand experience that your muscles will melt, your metabolism slows to a screeching halt and hangs onto fat and you will feel absolutely awful and not be able to function. No, our bodies are not meant to live at a deficit and if you take a second to think about it; you will realize it makes no sense at all. Can a car run without gas, can animals, plants or anything live without food and water? Can anything grow or survive without nutrients? No and I have the health problems to prove it. If by any chance you think your are that special someone that the rules of living don't apply too; go get help because there is a better way to live than starvation. As for all those people who think your body is a math calculation and you can get the results you want through a perfect diet and obsessive exercise; they're wrong. Do and eat what you love and I promise you will find a happy balance with your body; stop trying to impose rules on it.
  • Adrienneburrows1
    Adrienneburrows1 Posts: 71 Member
    How do you know how many calories you should be eating? I am 5ft 6 and 175