What made you decide that its time to lose weight?

Options
I always know that it was time but, of course I kept putting it off. Then, One day I started going through my family album and I realize so many people I love has passed away from not taking care of themselves ( My Dad @ 60 and My Husband @ 38, the list goes on) It’s been 5 years since the passing of my husband and now I’m ready to get back out there. The problem is that I’m turn 40 soon and I’m not comfortable in my skin. So I made a promise to myself get fit and healthy.

I need all the support I can get so add me (if you like) since we’re all have one common goal.
LOSING WEIGHT!

Replies

• ZailieB
    ZailieB Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from. A good few years ago I was quite a heavy smoker and tried loads of times to stop and found it agonising and always started again, I tried every stop smoking thing but never succeeded. Then one night I said to my husband, I'm not going to smoke any more, it was like the mist had cleared and the next day I got up and threw my cigs away and I have never smoked since. That was 5 yrs ago now...... I am having a similar experience with weight loss, I have tried every diet there is and most of the time I lose, but then I put it all back on again and more!!!! A few weeks ago I decided I was dieting ever again and I wanted a life style change. I have since combined my life with exercise, healthy food and occasional treats and I have lost 8lb up to now.
    Usually when I am on a diet I agonise over food and crave all the bad stuff, but I'm not having that this time, if I want chocolate I have it, but I often have to earn it through exercise.

Hopefully I've figured out the miracle of losing weight, which is......... Move more and eat less!!!
  • JustCallMeJaz
    JustCallMeJaz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It hit me like a lightening bolt. I looked at myself naked in the mirror and noticed rolls, stretch mark and weight in places I couldnt even imagine. I was so disgusted. I feel like I had been thinking "oh its not that bad"... had that wake up call almost 2 months ago. Month 1 was a struggle to get into the habbit, but now Im determined. I want my old body back, I want to look at pictures and be shocked. I dont have kids, and when I do I want to active with them. Thats my story.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    When I started to 'outgrow' my maternity pants.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My best friend chewed my *kitten*. He saved my life really.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I had years of denial but realized that I didn't want to hit 30 overweight and unhappy. I might actually make my goal before my 30th birthday!
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    When I could only wear my "workout" pants to work. None of my clothes fit from last summer and I have completely had it with the roller coaster dieting. I need a change for good - no more gimmicks and no more starving myself. If it takes a year, it takes a year! But I need to do this for myself.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to lose weight. Until, my fiance and I started talking about our future children. We decided what age we'd like to start trying, and I realised I had five years to go, and would not allow myself to tell myself I loved a child if I was willing to start their life inside an unhealthy body, and would then spend their childhood not teaching them the value of looking after themselves. I knew I'd be taking it slow, and five years seemed like a pretty tight deadline, so I got started. I'm going to be two years in towards the end of this year, and I'm happy that I'm on track.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    In June of 2010, my company paid for its employees to get complete blood work done. The day before I went in, I looked in the mirror and thought that this is going to be really bad (I weighed about 285 pounds at the time). I told my wife that. I said, "This is not going to go well and I need to do something about it". I started that day and I've lost almost 65 pounds since then.
    I should add that I was right - my cholesterol was through the roof and my blood pressure was a bit high. I got tested again 6 months later and while my cholesterol was still a bit high, it was much better than it had been and all my other tests were good.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have so many illnesses in my family but it never really clicked that I am at risk

However as time goes on and you get older, you do become wiser

About to hit 35 this year and I want it to be the best birthday and start the second half of my life fit, healthy and happier
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I gained 2 stone in a year due to finding a bf with a more active lifestyle of take aways and drink. After about a year of this, i realised i was gettin bigger and bigger, and had to change!! There have been loads of other issues due to it too, not to do with health, but my relationship== so all in all, a move on and a change was needed. Now look at me, 9lbs down in a month, and really happy as long as it continues this way!

U can see on my picture the stretch marks i got from the change :*( Now im stuck with this forever!

260312side.jpg
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I had years of denial but realized that I didn't want to hit 30 overweight and unhappy. I might actually make my goal before my 30th birthday!

Wow - look at the difference! I know it sounds all 'nothing' as it's said so much, but way to go!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I had been logging my calories for several months and then came here to the boards. I saw pics of before and after of women. I had my hubby take frontal and back pic . OH MY! I didn't know my butt was so fat, dimpled, and saggy! I always thought "eh, I could lose a few pounds" but NEVER imagined my backside looked like that!
  • alexandriareene
    alexandriareene Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For me personally it was like, i felt men called me fat and looked at me negatively. And i started taking myself negatively. I decided that i was going to drop 30 pounds first. I knew it was going to be hard but i was determined to do it. I started eating differently i got serious about my health and fitness. I lost 24 pounds so far!
  • sarawoertink
    sarawoertink Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was trying to find something to wear and every single thing I put on was too tight or showed my big belly. I was so frustrated and just decided I could not handle that anymore. Also, I don't want to struggle to keep up with my quickly growing daughter. My weight has always fluctuated, but I made a promise to myself to never get that big again (unless I am 9 months pregnant :tongue: )
  • momonwilson
    Options
    I am a a clinical therapist, and a some asked me when I was going to adress my food addiction.

Add to your site
  • linnyrhea
    linnyrhea Posts: 105
    Options
    For me it was a few things. I have two kids (3 and 8 months). My kids are my world and they need and deserve a healthy Mother, I need to set a good example for them.

The other thing was really life changing. About two years we found out that my Husbands sister was diagnosed with bowel cancer. In Nov of 2011 we drove to Vancouver to see his sister, which we thought would be the last time, doctors had told us that she likely wouldnt make it to Christmas. Just seeing her basically in her death bed was horrifying to me. I have never seen someone so sick and skinny before. It really opened up my eyes, life is too short and your never guaranteed tomorrow. I knew then that I had to change my lifestyle, I know it wont protect me from getting cancer or some other horrible illness but it cant hurt.

His sister is still here with us, fighting her battle, we know she will never get better and likely wont beat it, but her illness truly opened up my eyes.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Well, here's a little background info-probably similar to many of you folks out there. I've always had weight issues...I did weight watchers and had great success...until I couldn't afford the membership dues...My insurance company paid for wellness stuff (I can't remember what it is called) and I did great with that...until the insurance no longer covered that. I've done many of the fad diets with huge success...until I started eating real food again...What prompted me to join MFP was actually my sister-in-law. She is an awesome inspiration to me. She is not nearly as big as I am, but still needs to lose a little weight. In 60 days, she has lost over 20 pounds. She truly is a phenomenal woman. This time around, I really took a deep look within myself and even deeper at what I am teaching my children! My boys mean the world to me and I was teaching them that it is ok to eat a huge bowl of potato chips and eat fried food 3 nights a week-or go out to a buffet...Not exactly what a mother should be teaching her children. Also, my boys are getting older and want to do more things outside with me. I cannot keep up with them! I decided that I can do MFP because of the extra support AND the fact that once I meet my goal weight, I can continue using MFP to maintain the weight loss. It's free, easy and all of the people that I have been in contact with are super supportive! :smile:
  • mdamrow
    mdamrow Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I never got back into my regular clothes after having my baby and my doctor told me I was borderline for PSOS. If I didn't fix it, I wouldn't be able to have another baby some day. Now I'm down 20 pounds and counting....
  • odhrain1
    odhrain1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight all my life and have compensated by being a fun person but inside I never really felt that way. I have tryed every diet in it, including starving myself and not eating at all. Over the years I have developed a really unhealthy relationship with food which is based I feel around a "punishment" and "reward system". This relationship has lead to other health implications and also the fact I feel that I have held myself back in life due to my weight. I am turning 40 soon and would like to try one last time for a family and I don't want my life been ruled by my relationship with food any longer. Does that make sense?

I am a logical person, I know to eat less and move more but yet I seem to fail. Anyway's, here I go again and this time its a change for life!!

:smile:
  • jessmarie1023
    jessmarie1023 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I haven't been happy with myself for some time now.. I have been the same weight, give or take 5lbs for a long time. I get all motivated and then I would give into temptation. I do have to say that I am proud of my self, because I never let it get to the point of me giving up. I have always keept "starting over". I need to work on my consitency, my dedication, and my realization that nothing's goign to change, unless I am willing and ready to change. :happy: And I want to be ready!!! So everyone, let's Change! Let's take control, and knock those cravings and negative thoughts and feelings away! WE ARE STRONG, WE ARE IN CONTROL!