Replies

• Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Just to make your argument more valid - yes, the walls first, obviously
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I say wait until he is out of the house and paint the walls... then he can paint the floor -- no matter how you see it if you divide the work that way, then he is doing what he wants to do first and you are doing what you do first, LOL...

I learned, you let them do it their way and then come back and say "If only you had listen to me"
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    This, assuming of course he is the one painting or at least helping.

Just let your husband win by allowing him to paint the floor. The respect itself will reward him. If the paint drops, let him do all the cleaning up. (Try not to say "I TOLD YOU SO") Have fun!
    [/quote]
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Do this.........whoever gets their way does the work.

YES!! IF he wants to get his way he can do all the work!

This is why my baby's room hasn't been painted yet. I just painted my daughter's room a few months ago and am not enthusiastic about painting again. But, since he's an idiot (only sometimes) and manages to spill paint on carpet every time we pain indoors it's my job.
  • ensoleille
    Options
    Walls first :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Maybe the argument is due to the fact that you say my husband and me and instead of my Husband and I. Just saying

grammar_nazi2.jpg

Yes thanks for that HA I say this much I work with children and all of us suck at writing but we are great with playing with children and solving there issues at least I hope LOL. :ohwell:

OMG. *THEIR. Not there.
  • Starzy696
    Starzy696 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Im an interior designer...

If you are putting up some sort of a baseboard after painting, paint the walls first, then the floor.
  • keependuring
    keependuring Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Professionals do walls first. The floors are always last. If you husband can't take your word for it, then have him go to home depot and ask the tradesmen. Their word will have more conviction.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Can you do mine next..please?

• xXKatrinaXx
    xXKatrinaXx Posts: 234
    Options
    Walls first definetly! we had to paint every room in our house when we bought it. The carpets are old and need to be replaced anyways but I messed them up even worse when painting the walls lol!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    For sure walls first!
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    You are certainly right and he is wrong. Start at the top and work your way down to the bottom. Plus you would need to leave the floor longer to dry.
  • kellyemb
    kellyemb Posts: 18
    Options
    Walls first!!!
  • scottamsden
    Options
    You are right. You paint top to bottom same as cleaning. You paint the ceiliing first, painting onto the walls slightly, then the walls and finally the floor. Just make sure to sand down and big paint blobs that may fall on the floor or wipe them up when they happen.
  • JACKYGETNMYBODYBACK
    JACKYGETNMYBODYBACK Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    walls first makes more sense to me
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Have sex first... the painting is irrelevant....

LMAO!! That would be my husbands suggestion and I would be just as bad!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    not to gum up the works here, BUT is this a recurring problem?
    If so, both of you can dig a drain around the perimeter of your home (dig down at least 3-4 inches below the frost line), add crush rock, install pvc pipe, cover pipe with said crush rock. Tamp down.

THEN, paint the walls first with water sealant paint; and then the floors with same said sealant.

You could also dig around adjacent to the exterior of your basement. Add crush rock with or without pvc. It's a short cut.

Sorry, didn't mean to make it a construction project; but just think of all those calories diggin and luggin!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    So..... We have to redo the basement because it flooded a year ago. We are at the part where we are going to start painting and..........

I think we should paint the walls first and then paint the floor. :smile:

My reasons:
    * If you paint the wall it will drip
    * Clean up on the floor won't matter as much
    * Sometimes there is unseen splatter from rolling

He thinks we should paint the floor first. :huh:

His reasons:
    * It will be easier to wipe up

If there are any other reasons I don't know because that seems to be the only one he keeps giving me. Am I in the wrong? I want answers! Why do we have such a silly debate and why does it bother me soooooo much! Help I want to see which seems more practical. Thanks :indifferent:

Solution is simple - use gravity.

Prep the floor
    Prep the walls
    Paint the walls let it dry / cure for a few days
    Remove all the debris from the floor
    Final prep the floor
    Paint / seal the floor
    Done
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    You are certainly right and he is wrong. Start at the top and work your way down to the bottom. Plus you would need to leave the floor longer to dry.

i get the feeling this is about painting at all. :noway:
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Why would you walk on your freshly painted floors?