Help me settle a debate between my Husband and Me

Options

Replies

• microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    (but why would you bother to wipe up splatters & minor spills from a floor you're about to repaint anyway? ...just sayin'... :ohwell: )

Just so there were not any imperfections, basically it would be better to have the floor as flat as possible. He has already sealed cracks and filled in divots in the cement.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Much as I hate to break the Bro code and side with a female spouse - you're right, Walls first is the sensible approach :happy:

..and before you get carried away with all this being right business, it's 'my Husband and I' :tongue:

ACE Pet Detective
    Internet nerd
    15 Years experience of giving out Mickey Mouse advice
    Troll
  • microwoman999
    Options
    You are wrong he is right ...Its "my husband and I."

Yea I got it, that is why I replied with what I did. And yes it is about painting walls and floors we could save the dirty talk for another message board. LOL of course I see it has made its way into here anyway :wink:
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Maybe the argument is due to the fact that you say my husband and me and instead of my Husband and I. Just saying

grammar_nazi2.jpg

She is correct to write the "debate is between my husband and me." The "I" comes into play when they are the subject of the sentence. For example. My husband and I are having a debate. In the instance she used "husband" and "me" are pronouns used as objects.

...but I love the picture you used!!!

As for the painting....even if I think my husband is wrong, I do it his way. ...just because it makes my life easier.

edited to add...I don't normally call out someone's grammer, but I felt the need to stand up for the OP....two wrongs don't make a right, so I guess I'm just as bad : (
  • kathyb358
    Options
    absolutely walls first. you always paint high to low. you do ceilings before walls. paint walls first, drip on the floor, no big deal. do floors first then walls, drip on the floor, spend time repainting the floors. ask your husband how much time he wants to spend with a brush in his hands.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I just had this done last season (double sump pumps, walls cut and rehung, floors repoured and epoxied..) the company I hired (too much work for me to do) did

Walls...then Floors...

that way they walked out when it was done (floors) and didn't have to come back in til it was all dry and ready .
  • microwoman999
    Options
    Maybe the argument is due to the fact that you say my husband and me and instead of my Husband and I. Just saying

grammar_nazi2.jpg

Yes thanks for that HA I say this much I work with children and all of us suck at writing but we are great with playing with children and solving there issues at least I hope LOL. :ohwell:

OMG. *THEIR. Not there.

Let me point out that if you can't stand SH***Y spelling/ writing go somewhere else! I don't care about grammar as I pointed out earlier. Stop being mean this is not a site to pick on people! SERIOUSLY!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I vote walls first same reasons as you..
  • w_i_n_d_y
    w_i_n_d_y Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    First, If you knew how to paint correctly there won't be any drips! End of debate.

Second, walls first. End of debate.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Painting the walls first is correct, and "between my husband and me" is correct.

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/between-you-and-me.aspx
  • microwoman999
    Options
    Im an interior designer...

If you are putting up some sort of a baseboard after painting, paint the walls first, then the floor.

We already have baseboards that made it through the flood so we will have to work around those.
  • microwoman999
    Options
    Professionals do walls first. The floors are always last. If you husband can't take your word for it, then have him go to home depot and ask the tradesmen. Their word will have more conviction.

Maybe a good idea I just don't want unnecessary clean up.
  • microwoman999
    Options
    Can you do mine next..please?

LOL I do love doing this stuff. Keeps me busy and less food in my mouth! HA
  • microwoman999
    Options
    not to gum up the works here, BUT is this a recurring problem?
    If so, both of you can dig a drain around the perimeter of your home (dig down at least 3-4 inches below the frost line), add crush rock, install pvc pipe, cover pipe with said crush rock. Tamp down.

THEN, paint the walls first with water sealant paint; and then the floors with same said sealant.

You could also dig around adjacent to the exterior of your basement. Add crush rock with or without pvc. It's a short cut.

Sorry, didn't mean to make it a construction project; but just think of all those calories diggin and luggin!

No your fine making sure we are protecting our work LOL. Yes we have not dug up around the property because it was sewage back up from the city, it came out of our downstairs toilet. We put in a check valve to stop that from happening. Now we have redone a lot in the basement and are ready to paint. This has only happened twice but we did not want it to happen again. We have painted the walls with the sealant paint already and put walls up over the cinder block. I hear ya about the calories :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    walls first. BTW, first time ever hering somebody painting the floor >.<
  • WorkoutMaine
    Options
    I didn't read any of this. I am going to side with your husband.
    BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    FWIW If it is about painting...I say walls first...Its the only logical choice
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'd probably do the walls first, but you know, people paint walls all the time without painting the floor afterward. I'm sure you could do it either way.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    We just finished renovating our basement. Paint the walls first. Isn't it fun redo'ing the house with your SO? I had divorce papers on hold the whole time, and he always had the hammer nearby for some reason :bigsmile: LOL. Ah, all kidding aside, definitely paint the walls first, it's only logical!!
  • microwoman999
    Options
    walls first. BTW, first time ever hering somebody painting the floor >.<

Its actually common for people to paint basement floors. Sorry I did not specify that :smile: