Why personal trainers annoy me

Options
Cindym82
Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
OK, so I belong to LA Fitness, and I have to say I can not stand the personal trainers at my gym. While going there for the last 7 months they have given me a stale taste in my mouth from day one. They tried to get me to do a fitness essesment thing, I declided because 1) I'm not paying someone to tell me I'm fat 2) I have hypothyroid so that is part of the reason I'm fat and I can't work out like "normal" people 3) I learned the same moves you are teaching from my boyfriend's police acedemy and my fire dept acedemy. They then proceeded to call me 3 times a day every day for about a month. Every time I told them I'm not doing it to stop calling me.

OK, so I've seen this same girl about 3 times a week for the last seven months with the same trainer.....and she HAS NOT lost any weight. And he has her doing the exact same exercises over and over. I do not find this effective. This same trainer come in with dress pants, dress shirt, and dress shoes on.....how can you properly teach someone to work out when you ar enot in the correct "gear"

This other PT came to the machine next to me and was showing a girl how to use the machine. She than proceeded to grab my machine WHILE I was using it (I was doing the hip abductor) and be little me about how I was using it wrong. FIRST off DO NOT touch a machine while I'm using it. Second of all I know what the hell I'm doing because I've done it for years. Needless to say I went APE on her and reported her to the manager, never saw her at the gym again.

Now yesterday, I see this PT showing this one how to do step circuits, IN 6 INCH HEELS!!!!! Who the f**k does that? If I paid for a trainer and they walked up to me like that I would seriously ask for my money back.

[/end vent]

Replies

• sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    do you feel better. Thats funny heels and dress shoes and i agree no one should touch a machine while a person is using it. PERSONAL SPACE much
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Thats VERY strange. I have worked with personal trainers at LA fitness and loved each and every one. They pushed me to the MAX and I could hardly walk out of there after each session much less lift my arms to wash my hair later that night or the next day!

Also to note on the Hypothyroid issue - I was diagnosed as well. Depending on the level of it - with medical & a good diet/fitness plan, you should have no issue dropping the lbs. I did! 36 of them!
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I know they all aren't like that. Sounds like your gym has some sucky behind PTs.

I know months into going to Lucille Roberts they had a member start teaching kick boxing classes. I'm quite sure she didn't have a license or anything. She just came to the gym everyday and lost weight. So to them she was qualified to teach a class. And they had two PT and I rarely if ever saw them there.

So some gyms and PTs just suck.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Lordy B there is a lot of trainer hate lately.. and let me say, LA Fitness is not the best example.. There trainers aren't even certified I believe, and they just go through a training program through the company and then suddenly they are PT's.

I go to X-Sport Fitness, have gone through, three PT"s there and with the exception of the first one, I've loved every minute. I'm motivated, pushed to my limit and learning things I want to learn(IE Barbell lifts, Dumbell lifts etc). I've never been pressured to do anything I didn't want to concerning personal training, nor have I ever had a PT grab a machine and tell me that I am doing something wrong. Between personal training and MFP I've lost 29 pounds and have shrunk from a 10 to a 4 even though I weigh the same that I did 4 years ago when I wearing size 10's.

Don't group all PT's just because the ones at your gym suck. There are some good ones out there.. You just have to find them!
  • Cindym82
    Options
    Lordy B there is a lot of trainer hate lately.. and let me say, LA Fitness is not the best example.. There trainers aren't even certified I believe, and they just go through a training program through the company and then suddenly they are PT's.

I go to X-Sport Fitness, have gone through, three PT"s there and with the exception of the first one, I've loved every minute. I'm motivated, pushed to my limit and learning things I want to learn(IE Barbell lifts, Dumbell lifts etc). I've never been pressured to do anything I didn't want to concerning personal training, nor have I ever had a PT grab a machine and tell me that I am doing something wrong. Between personal training and MFP I've lost 29 pounds and have shrunk from a 10 to a 4 even though I weigh the same that I did 4 years ago when I wearing size 10's.

Don't group all PT's just because the ones at your gym suck. There are some good ones out there.. You just have to find them!

I didn't group all, just the ones at my LA Fitness. I just find them to be very....unprofessional. My PT I had at Planet Fitness was great, and FREE. Lol.
  • Cindym82
    Options
    Thats VERY strange. I have worked with personal trainers at LA fitness and loved each and every one. They pushed me to the MAX and I could hardly walk out of there after each session much less lift my arms to wash my hair later that night or the next day!

Also to note on the Hypothyroid issue - I was diagnosed as well. Depending on the level of it - with medical & a good diet/fitness plan, you should have no issue dropping the lbs. I did! 36 of them!

I have only been able to drop 4lbs in 4 months due to the hypo and they will not put me on meds because of the "within range" deal. Which is pure crap because I have horrible symptoms and I'm on the high scale of "normal". So either I have to find a new doctor or I have to just live with it
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

I have only been able to drop 4lbs in 4 months due to the hypo and they will not put me on meds because of the "within range" deal. Which is pure crap because I have horrible symptoms and I'm on the high scale of "normal". So either I have to find a new doctor or I have to just live with it

I would go see another DR immediately. I am in the same boat, high range of normal and take .5 mg - the smallest dosage and it makes a world of difference. I would DEFINATELY go see another dr.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think you're being scammed! never in my life have I seen a personal trainer in dress clothes and high heels.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do in a gym is IGNORE EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING and just do your thing. I can't even look at guys working out ; like those dudes that pick up the 65's to do curls, and then hurl their body back and forth and grunt like they're awesome. Yeah, I just want to go over and ask them if that's a leg exercise or what are they doing? But, ya know, it's really none of my business.

If someone is paying a PT and not getting results and continuing to pay, whatever. It's their money.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    that is sad that there were 3 different trainers in the same place doing (or not doing) things they should know better about. Not all trainers are like those 3, though, fortunately.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    OK, so I belong to LA Fitness, and I have to say I can not stand the personal trainers at my gym. While going there for the last 7 months they have given me a stale taste in my mouth from day one. They tried to get me to do a fitness essesment thing, I declided because 1) I'm not paying someone to tell me I'm fat 2) I have hypothyroid so that is part of the reason I'm fat and I can't work out like "normal" people 3) I learned the same moves you are teaching from my boyfriend's police acedemy and my fire dept acedemy. They then proceeded to call me 3 times a day every day for about a month. Every time I told them I'm not doing it to stop calling me.

OK, so I've seen this same girl about 3 times a week for the last seven months with the same trainer.....and she HAS NOT lost any weight. And he has her doing the exact same exercises over and over. I do not find this effective. This same trainer come in with dress pants, dress shirt, and dress shoes on.....how can you properly teach someone to work out when you ar enot in the correct "gear"

This other PT came to the machine next to me and was showing a girl how to use the machine. She than proceeded to grab my machine WHILE I was using it (I was doing the hip abductor) and be little me about how I was using it wrong. FIRST off DO NOT touch a machine while I'm using it. Second of all I know what the hell I'm doing because I've done it for years. Needless to say I went APE on her and reported her to the manager, never saw her at the gym again.

Now yesterday, I see this PT showing this one how to do step circuits, IN 6 INCH HEELS!!!!! Who the f**k does that? If I paid for a trainer and they walked up to me like that I would seriously ask for my money back.

[/end vent]

That person probably isn't losing weight because they're probably over eating and not doing the stuff as prescribed in between sessions with their PT...

Also, you''re not paying someone to tell you that you are fat, you're paying them to tell you just HOW fat you are, use their expertise in the field to help you get fit and healthy and lose fat regardless of medical conditions...i.e they are trained mostly to work around that, especially if they are qualified in weight management. Is that client even intending to lose weight or just get fit and strong??? There's always something underneath it all.

I wouldn't be arsed if my PT wore 6" heels...they're not meant to be the ones working out... they are instructing... If they encouraged me to...It'd certainly have me questioning their professionalism getting a client to do so... However, if she can't instruct properly in her rig then that's not on nor is as you say interfering with some other clients workout.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Many PT's are motivated by sales commissions. Many years ago, I got certified and worked at a major chain gym for about 6 months. I got yelled at for helping people "for free." The sales manager suggested that as I walked past men working out, that I "drop something" and bend over to pick it up without bending my knees. True story. I resigned shortly thereafter. At the same time, I found many of my clients did not really want to sweat, they just wanted someone to talk to. So I was more of a captive listener. They would ignore my nutrition recommendations and put 50% effort into workouts. And conveniently, when they failed to improve their physical condition, they could blame me. Win win for everyone, right? I got $50 and hour, and they got an "out."
  • dollienj
    dollienj Posts: 49
    Options
    Heels? Really? Yikes.

I had a trainer a few years back, and he was excellent - motivating, funny, strict when he needed to be, and thorough. Always explained the machines/techniques so I fully understood. If I had had a bad day when I got to the gym, he would find an activity to help me let off some steam - usually involved the punching bag. :) If I could afford it, I'd definitely hire him again.

Sorry you had a crappy experience with the ones at that gym.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

I would go see another DR immediately. I am in the same boat, high range of normal and take .5 mg - the smallest dosage and it makes a world of difference. I would DEFINATELY go see another dr.

Another tip with hypo, see a registered dietician. There is SO MUCH that can be done with diet alone, but I wouldn't take a doctor's advice on it (they don't really have much background in the way of nutrition, like 1 semester). Good luck!
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on people.I mean my husband and i go to this gym, and we both have seperate trainers. while mine is just plain wonderful, husbands guy is a pain-in-the-u-kno-were!! that guy doesnt even correct him when his form is like way out of line!
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    First, I just have to laugh because that rant was d*** funny! Second, I hear you. I have seen both good ones and bad ones at various gyms over the years. I've only hired 2--one was a dingbat and the other was good but I couldn't afford to keep going. I think like with everything else you have to trust your instincts. Not everyone needs/wants a personal trainer and if the ones at your gym can't accept that, I think complaining to management is the right thing to do because at some point it becomes harassment when they won't stop hounding you. Likewise for when they are just dumb-a$$es like the one you reported. Maybe you can start to look at them now as some comic relief and just laugh when they show up in their high heels to demonstrate the use of the eliptical. ;)
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options

OK, so I've seen this same girl about 3 times a week for the last seven months with the same trainer.....and she HAS NOT lost any weight. And he has her doing the exact same exercises over and over. I do not find this effective.

So, it might be true that the personal trainers where you personally go, might suck. But, to render a workout ineffective because he has someone doing "repetitive" workouts and you've personally not noticed weight loss is irrelevant. First, the girl can be eating like crap at home. No caloric deficit = no weight loss. Second, weight lifting routines don't vary a lot. You go in, you increase weights as you progress...you don't have to do something totally different to see results.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I will say that I've found a HUGE difference between "Personal Trainers" who are simply certified (i.e. what you find at Bally's) and someone who is actually a Personal Trainer with a BA or higher in education.

There's two personal trainers in particular at my gym that are fabulous. They have their pricing listed in the gym but that's it. The female trainer is part owner of the gym and used to work as a personal trainer in the NFL. The other guy is the Training Coach for our high school and a body builder. They don't pressure people into buying sessions from them. people see the results from their other clients and that sells it for them.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I think I must work out at the same LA Fitness you do. I am ending my membership there after my contract expires in the end of May. The facilities are nice, it's clean, the equipment is kept up.....but employee moral is horrible and they are paid like crap. Since I have started going their last June, 2 managers, a trainer and the day care girl have either quit or been fired. And most of all, my trainer, who was actually over qualified for the position and helped me lose 90 lbs, along with countless others he helped, was fired for bull crap. No one is happy their. Granted, I have only been to the one, but if this is how all their gyms are, they have problems.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You have to be exaggerating. There can't be THAT many things wrong with PT's at your gym. The PT's at my gym don't do the actual workouts, they teach their clients and push and motivate them and help them with their diet. They are basically sales people, so they have to look nice. Although they don't wear heels and such, they could if they wanted to, since they are supposed to look nice and don't have to do the work.

Are you sure that the girl that has been going seven months hasn't lost any weight? I will be willing to bet that she has. Sometimes you can't tell if someone has lost weight by just looking at them.

As for the lady that was telling her client that you were doing it all wrong, maybe you should have listened and been a little more humble. She could have lost her entire certification over your rant. It doesn't matter if you have been doing it for years, you may have been doing it wrong. For example, many people tend to go to fast with their reps on the hip abductor. I see it all the time. The key is to go very slowly and really feel the burn. But I do agree that she should have left you out of her consultation with her client, but you didn't have to get her fired.in this day and age it's hard to get a job. And now it may be much harder for her to get a job as a PT with this on her record.