Why personal trainers annoy me

Options

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

OK, so I've seen this same girl about 3 times a week for the last seven months with the same trainer.....and she HAS NOT lost any weight. And he has her doing the exact same exercises over and over. I do not find this effective.

So, it might be true that the personal trainers where you personally go, might suck. But, to render a workout ineffective because he has someone doing "repetitive" workouts and you've personally not noticed weight loss is irrelevant. First, the girl can be eating like crap at home. No caloric deficit = no weight loss. Second, weight lifting routines don't vary a lot. You go in, you increase weights as you progress...you don't have to do something totally different to see results.

It's not even weights most the time. It was an observation I made while watching her. Even my boyfriend who was taugh by a trainer says that what they do most the time is pointless.
  • Cindym82
    Options
    You have to be exaggerating. There can't be THAT many things wrong with PT's at your gym. The PT's at my gym don't do the actual workouts, they teach their clients and push and motivate them and help them with their diet. They are basically sales people, so they have to look nice. Although they don't wear heels and such, they could if they wanted to, since they are supposed to look nice and don't have to do the work.

Are you sure that the girl that has been going seven months hasn't lost any weight? I will be willing to bet that she has. Sometimes you can't tell if someone has lost weight by just looking at them.

As for the lady that was telling her client that you were doing it all wrong, maybe you should have listened and been a little more humble. She could have lost her entire certification over your rant. It doesn't matter if you have been doing it for years, you may have been doing it wrong. For example, many people tend to go to fast with their reps on the hip abductor. I see it all the time. The key is to go very slowly and really feel the burn. But I do agree that she should have left you out of her consultation with her client, but you didn't have to get her fired.in this day and age it's hard to get a job. And now it may be much harder for her to get a job as a PT with this on her record.

I was doing slow reps on the machine, she jerked it and stated I was doing it wrong and to do it faster. SHE was wrong on many level. I'm more than 100% sure she's not certified because they hold a class like once a month in the mat area of the gym at like 8am on saturdays where all they do is watch videos and stuff. I would not call them certified trainers. I've been with certified trainers before so I know what I'm doing
  • darylinny
    darylinny Posts: 146
    Options
    That's awful! I love my PT, he is awesome-ness personified! He pushes all his clients with the workouts. Kicks it up when necessary and also consults on our food. I've been working with him for a while and just meeting with him helps me stay on track. Boredom isn't a problem either because the man has got an imagination and diabolical mean streak (said with LOVE...because he always kicks my butt) that you wouldn't believe!
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Don't be mad at them, it's who ever is cracking the whip on them. It's just like shopping for furniture or a used car... they have to hit a sales # or they will be let go eventually. Instead of getting mad at the messenger you should write to LA Fitness corporate or talk to the club manager and if enough people do that maybe they will take the high pressure sales pitch out of their clubs.
  • Cindym82
    Options
    I think I must work out at the same LA Fitness you do. I am ending my membership there after my contract expires in the end of May. The facilities are nice, it's clean, the equipment is kept up.....but employee moral is horrible and they are paid like crap. Since I have started going their last June, 2 managers, a trainer and the day care girl have either quit or been fired. And most of all, my trainer, who was actually over qualified for the position and helped me lose 90 lbs, along with countless others he helped, was fired for bull crap. No one is happy their. Granted, I have only been to the one, but if this is how all their gyms are, they have problems.

LOL, well I wouldn't call mine clean to say the least. When on the treadmill I noticed that there is just this "film" on the machines, like the bottom part. I've never seen them clean, which kinda grosses me out but they are the only gym within about 20mins of where I live. I have to say the classes are good but no one that works there seems happy. Planet fitness they were so happy it was kinda of scary.
  • silmeria2
    silmeria2 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thats VERY strange. I have worked with personal trainers at LA fitness and loved each and every one. They pushed me to the MAX and I could hardly walk out of there after each session much less lift my arms to wash my hair later that night or the next day!

Also to note on the Hypothyroid issue - I was diagnosed as well. Depending on the level of it - with medical & a good diet/fitness plan, you should have no issue dropping the lbs. I did! 36 of them!

I have only been able to drop 4lbs in 4 months due to the hypo and they will not put me on meds because of the "within range" deal. Which is pure crap because I have horrible symptoms and I'm on the high scale of "normal". So either I have to find a new doctor or I have to just live with it

Find a new doctor. I have degenerative joints and went through three doctors who refused to treat my condition because they weren't familiar with it so it clearly wasn't real or serious.
  • Cindym82
    Options
    Thats VERY strange. I have worked with personal trainers at LA fitness and loved each and every one. They pushed me to the MAX and I could hardly walk out of there after each session much less lift my arms to wash my hair later that night or the next day!

Also to note on the Hypothyroid issue - I was diagnosed as well. Depending on the level of it - with medical & a good diet/fitness plan, you should have no issue dropping the lbs. I did! 36 of them!

I have only been able to drop 4lbs in 4 months due to the hypo and they will not put me on meds because of the "within range" deal. Which is pure crap because I have horrible symptoms and I'm on the high scale of "normal". So either I have to find a new doctor or I have to just live with it

Find a new doctor. I have degenerative joints and went through three doctors who refused to treat my condition because they weren't familiar with it so it clearly wasn't real or serious.

I'm not sure who else to go to. My primary doctor made me think I was crazy and told me I dont have it, and sent me for all these other crazy tests that came back negative so I found an endo who listened to me and tested other things and told me my vit D was low and put me on a suppliment and told me I absolutely do have hypo but i'm "within normal range" and that I will have to be tested yearly or if I have a "bad" two weeks to call him. I'm just at my witts end with it
  • brettjcohen
    brettjcohen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I haven't had much luck myself. I'm at Lifetime Fitness and they give you these occasional Lifetime bucks. You have 1 month to spend them or lose them and about the only thing you can get for them are PT sessions. I did the fit test once which was OK I guess. I told them I wanted my only other free session to be about coming up with a plan for weight loss and exercise but all they did was run me through some exercise routine without listening to the fact that I wanted a plan. There's no way I can afford to pay them something like $50+ per session to watch me work out. They didn't listen top what I wanted at all. When I talked to them about it they just said that what I wanted was something else and I'd have to pay extra and it wasn't available via the free bucks. The whole experience left me soured on them (not that I could afford them anyway). I just do P90X now and it cost less than 2 sessions with those people anyway.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Also thought I'd mention there are some CRAPPY trainers out there. But there are awesome some really knowledgeable awesome ones. I would steer clear of any trainer that is only certified by their gym...that's a big red flag! I have worked with trainers who really didn't do it for me, and some that have been amazing, so there is definitely a wide variety.

I have also seen people working with a trainer for months and have not seen any results BUT the thing you gotta remember is that you can not out train a bad diet. You can work your butt off in the gym, but if your diet sucks, you're not going to see much in the way of results. I have had trainers who haven't said a word about diet, but then I've also had ones that ask me what I've had to eat that day before we even start working out....those are the ones I like :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem is the culture of commercial fitness clubs these days. About 10 years ago, there was a big expansion for "chains" like XSport, Cardinal Fitness, LA Fitness, etc. Within each "class" of center, they compete on price. That means there is a constant downward pressure on dues, because no one wants to be the "high-priced" guy. So, they have to scramble for additional sources of revenue--that's where personal training comes in. Unlike another amenity like a spa, a personal trainer requires no additional capital investment.

In addition to revenue, trainers at these clubs also help keep costs down. Trainers also serve as "floor staff"--they are either paid a minimal wage for that, or they work strictly on commission. Either way, the only way they can make any money is to hustle for clients.

So, on paper, you have a "win-win" for the club owner. He gets floor supervision for a fraction of what it should cost, with a bunch of underpaid trainers running around trying to pump up business. It's a mindset that few owners can break out of. They never seem to consider how many members they are losing because people don't like this kind of arrangement.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Well, I agree that it sounds like the PT at your gym are a bit stale, if not silly (heels... we're here to workout, not pick up a date? Sheesh!). However, I think there are some really great trainers out there. I mean, who wouldn't want to train with someone like JIllian Michaels, who can really push you to the next level!? There are, though, personal trainers that just teach you the basics. They're great for beginners, but not for people like us that have worked out for many years. I think you have to try a few until you find one you're happy with. If you're not happy with any, then just do your own thing.

Shannon
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Now yesterday, I see this PT showing this one how to do step circuits, IN 6 INCH HEELS!!!!! Who the f**k does that? If I paid for a trainer and they walked up to me like that I would seriously ask for my money back.

Aww crap! Looks like I need to put my 6" platforms in the closet when I go to the gym. And I look so cute running in them too!! :cry: (j/k)
  • Cindym82
    Options
    Now yesterday, I see this PT showing this one how to do step circuits, IN 6 INCH HEELS!!!!! Who the f**k does that? If I paid for a trainer and they walked up to me like that I would seriously ask for my money back.

Aww crap! Looks like I need to put my 6" platforms in the closet when I go to the gym. And I look so cute running in them too!! :cry: (j/k)

LOL, the point that killed me about seeing that is that there is about 20 signs ALL over the gym saying you must wear proper fitness shoes or you will be thrown out of the gym........i mean I heard that working out in my heels would give me a killer butt....maybe I should jump on this band wagon
  • Azdak
    Options
    Well, I agree that it sounds like the PT at your gym are a bit stale, if not silly (heels... we're here to workout, not pick up a date? Sheesh!). However, I think there are some really great trainers out there. I mean, who wouldn't want to train with someone like JIllian Michaels, who can really push you to the next level!? There are, though, personal trainers that just teach you the basics. They're great for beginners, but not for people like us that have worked out for many years. I think you have to try a few until you find one you're happy with. If you're not happy with any, then just do your own thing.

Shannon

I wouldn't. Jillian Michaels is the poster girl for how mediocrity achieves "expert" status solely by being a celebrity.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You have to be exaggerating. There can't be THAT many things wrong with PT's at your gym. The PT's at my gym don't do the actual workouts, they teach their clients and push and motivate them and help them with their diet. They are basically sales people, so they have to look nice. Although they don't wear heels and such, they could if they wanted to, since they are supposed to look nice and don't have to do the work.

Are you sure that the girl that has been going seven months hasn't lost any weight? I will be willing to bet that she has. Sometimes you can't tell if someone has lost weight by just looking at them.

As for the lady that was telling her client that you were doing it all wrong, maybe you should have listened and been a little more humble. She could have lost her entire certification over your rant. It doesn't matter if you have been doing it for years, you may have been doing it wrong. For example, many people tend to go to fast with their reps on the hip abductor. I see it all the time. The key is to go very slowly and really feel the burn. But I do agree that she should have left you out of her consultation with her client, but you didn't have to get her fired.in this day and age it's hard to get a job. And now it may be much harder for her to get a job as a PT with this on her record.

I'm sorry but what she's explaining is the stereotypical behavior of someone who is simply certified and passing themselves as a completely qualified PT.

As far as the lady being there in dress clothes, that's not professional for her line of work. She needs to be there and be prepared and that means in clothing where she can do a demonstration of how the routine is to be performed. Secondly, if you're not my personal trainer and I haven't asked for your input, don't give it; that's rude.

True professional personal trainers don't hard sell themselves. They allow their results do it for them. I think the author is completely warranted in her rant. Those types of trainers are typical for that type of facility.
  • Cindym82
    Options

I'm sorry but what she's explaining is the stereotypical behavior of someone who is simply certified and passing themselves as a completely qualified PT.

As far as the lady being there in dress clothes, that's not professional for her line of work. She needs to be there and be prepared and that means in clothing where she can do a demonstration of how the routine is to be performed. Secondly, if you're not my personal trainer and I haven't asked for your input, don't give it; that's rude.

True professional personal trainers don't hard sell themselves. They allow their results do it for them. I think the author is completely warranted in her rant. Those types of trainers are typical for that type of facility.

Thank you for being on my side :flowerforyou:
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. Jillian Michaels is the poster girl for how mediocrity achieves "expert" status solely by being a celebrity.

She was just an example of a mentor people can look up to. I'm not saying she's the best out there, just because she's famous.

Just clarifying!:-)

Shannon
  • Azdak
    Options

She was just an example of a mentor people can look up to. I'm not saying she's the best out there, just because she's famous.

Just clarifying!:-)

Shannon

Wasn't really pushing back at you -- you just happened to cite the example to react to ;-)
    I probably should have just let that one go. I know a lot of people find JM motivating, so I usually just keep my personal feelings to myself. (Anything that gets people moving). Occasionally, they slip out......
  • CMXL
    CMXL Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love my personal trainer. Without her, I would have never attempted strength training! My upper body strength is terrible (my baby has grown up; I had killer arms when he was still little) and therefore, I used to hate doing weights. But my trainer is motivating without being intimidating. Even when I had an injury that limited my mobility, she came up with routines that kept me moving ad strength training without putting stress on the injury. She is awesome!
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I also do the lifetime bucks thing and get 2 training sessions every 6 months out of the deal. I had a great trainer that left and then an AWFUL one. It's kind of funny so I'll share the story:

It was 1 year after I joined the gym so I asked to get that assessment test redone so I could see my progress. They booked me with a new guy that spent the first 10 minutes trying to sell me a HRM. I explained that I totally understand how great they are but I'm not in the market for one right now. Then he moved on to the vO2 max testing and more training sessions. I literally looked him in the eyes and said, "Listen, I'm not going to buy anything today, so stop trying. I just want you to run me through the assessment test please." :grumble:

Then he got huffy with me and ran me through the tests as if it was just a HUGE chore and I was wasting his time. When we sat back down for the results he grabbed that g0ddamned HRM clipboard again! So I just took my sheet, said I had somewhere to be, and walked away. I then proceeded to workout in front of the PT desk for about 40 minutes and I didn't talk to him again.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen him at the gym lately... shucks he must have left :laugh: