No Self Control

Options
13»

Replies

• mrshbrn
    mrshbrn Posts: 22
    Options
    OMG I have the same problem. No one is obeist in my home. The kids have healthy eating habits. BUt my problem is the money. I know some say in the long run it' pays off but for a poor African American family it's just not feasible. We buy what's on sale and in the hood that's usually something fatty and unhealthy. Like last night..hubby made spaghetti w/ meat sauce w/ bleached pasta. That's a meal full of sugar for me. I had to eat one of my lean cuisine meals I buy for lunch. It's hard when you're the only one in the house on a life change diet and the others dont need a life change.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried to reward yourself? I mean pick a day out of the week that you reward yourself with one of your favorite foods or meals?
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. We are human, and temptation is every where. I think once in awhile is ok.
  • NWriceC
    NWriceC Posts: 28
    Options
    I agree with a number of posts, first off my nutritionist made me clean out my kitchen of all the bad stuff and replace it with good stuff.

Secondly, she started making me read labels. Once I started that, seeing the calories of everything started making me think about the gym. When I go to the gym and ride the bike for 15 minutes, with a resistance or difficulty set at 7 or 8, I burn just over 100 calories. This put things into perspective for me! It would take me how long to burn off a 900 calorie meal from McDonald's menu? Over two hours!!!!!

You have to make your mission priority # 1.

FOCUS and determination are everything but motivation is the icing on the cake.
    If all else fails, find someone or something that motivates you enough to stick to your regimen.
    Even if that means being there to say, STOP don't eat that!
  • Bohohippy
    Bohohippy Posts: 56
    Options
    You need to turn yourself against something, gain motivation from that.

I have struggled for the same reason although mine are some what psychologic.

I stuffed my face for 2-4 months with everything I really wanted to eat... the outcome.
    I put on every bit of weight plus 8lb more, my face for the first time got spotty on the cheeks! I felt sick most days, lazy.

That was properly my motivation as weight loss in itself isn't enough =S
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    Just find whatever it is that you are craving...and try replicating it in your kitchen with healthier ingredients...and log it.
  • djsysstem
    djsysstem Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Quitting cold turkey will be harder, but it will pay off. You will crave those awesome Junior Whoppers at Burger King and Milk Shake (my case), but you will get the results quicker and in a more efficient manner. I used to drink coca-cola because I loved the taste, but now I can't even gulp it without feeling so much sugar it contains. I might drink a cup of Diet Coke, but that's about it. I also went from 2.5 teaspoons of sugar with coffee to less than a half because I can't even take the taste of sugar.

Bottom line is, it's all about your free will and how much you are committed to the weight loss. Listen to all the other advises on here about counting calories, having a cheat meal because they are true and helpful. Clean healthy food might be more expensive, but I don't even get as much gas, heartburn, and other problems after eating it. ON the other hand, when I have a cheat meal at the fast food place, I walk away with some pain in the stomach.

It's all in the head and it tells you that you shouldn't eat that garbage :)
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Story of my life. Can't wait to see what advice you get :flowerforyou:

:drinker:

The cold turkey thing would be easy if I were single and without children, my trouble is picky eaters in the house, I feel it's my job as mom and wife to keep them happy before myself, the fight with picky eaters is such a pain so there is always temptation around, i just remind myself of the reasons I'm on this journey and temptations will always be there. Try preparing your own "fast food", like spend an afternoon putting together ready to go snacks and meal for the week then you can grab and go.

sorry, but that sounds like an excuse.

Who is the mother in the family? Who is the boss? Sounds like the kids are.
    Nobody likes to be told 'no' but nobody ever gets told 'yes' all the time throughout life.
    Kids want chicken nuggets? Buy some at the store, and BAKE them, have a few packets of the dipping sauces from the fast food place on hand so they taste similar to what you would get at the drive thru, add a side of BAKED french fries. It's a start, a small but slow start.

It won't happen overnight, the family will fight you, but if losing weight, and eating healthy is something you want, you need to fight for it.

I do have a friend that never told her kid 'no' to fast food, she let him have another pepsi, have an extra cookie (or 4), he cried and whined about wanting more chips...she never said no. By the time he was 15, he was pushing 350 pounds. It was sad to watch him waste away. Not saying that this situation will happen to your kids, but to experience it, and be a silent observer (nobody wants to be told how to raise their kids)...I wish I didn't have to watch it happen.
  • jfl613
    jfl613 Posts: 71
    Options
    Look at some of the others' recipes on this site. You will be surprised at the multitude of creative alternatives you can find and adapt to your taste. I found so many recipes that are helping me (and my husband by default) that I eitherfollow to the "T" or alter to my own liking. Use of the recipe builder helps to make sure my substitutions keep me in line with the calorie range I want a meal to be in. Hang tough. You can do it. I am a "foodie". I LOVE food and am just now in my fifties developing a sweet tooth. I have even found recipes for cake and mini cheese cakes that satiate my sweet tooth! You can do it. The people on this site are awsome and the stories and recipes they are willing to share with the rest of us are equally awsome. :happy:
  • fluffeesquirrel
    fluffeesquirrel Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For me it's about realizing that I can eat that can of Chef Boyardee ravioli for 400 something calories and still be hungry or I can eat a cup of greek yogurt with honey, grapes, strawberries, and a stick of lowfat cheese for about the same amount and feel full and know I got lots of protein and nutrients. If I eat fast food or junk, I'm always still hungry after. But, when I eat right (often for LESS calories) I feel full and satisfied.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way...the way I've been able to beat the junk food is by finding replacment foods that taste just as good...examples:

Instead of a brownie or chocloate muffin: Chocolate Vitatops (in the freezer at most grocery stores or online) 90-100 calories
    Instead of soda: flavored seltzer. They even have cream and vanilla flavors
    Instead of nutella or traditonal peanut butter: organic crunchy peanut butter. Its good for you and its so thick that you can't really gorge on it without choking lol (especially if you drain the excess oil out before mixing it)
    Instead of sour cream: lowfat or nonfat plain greek yogurt

etc, etc...you get it. Some of my other favorite foods that don't taste like "health food" are Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal, Dr. Praeger's California Veggie Burger, Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal, Van's Lite Waffles, Luna protein bars, Amy's organic canned chili, Blue Diamond nut chips in sour cream & onion, sea salt, or salsa flavors...the list is endless. I can live on these foods without feeling deprived at all. I hope this helps and good luck!!!!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible habit of once or twice having a 4th meal of a double cheeseburger and chocolate shake from McDonalds. I didn't go the cold turkey route. I changed the double burger for a fish and ordered a smaller shake. Now, if I get a strong shake craving I make my own. I don't crave McDonalds at all anymore. I still do crave taco bell but I am ordering less food when I do go there. What has helped some was just being informed that a shake was over 500 calories. Good luck either route you choose to go.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Initially, I quit cold turkey and vowed not to eat out for a while. I eliminated processed sugars by substituting strawberries, blueberries, etc when I had any sweet cravings. Eventually, I realized it was okay to enjoy food but in better portions.

I've been craving sweets like crazy after dinner recently so I pull out two cookies from the pack and enjoy them. Now, in the past, I probably would've devoured half the pack and washed it down with a glass of milk but I've learned to enjoy in moderation.

I recently started eating out again but not every week. In fact, I went out for tacos with my co-workers today and I knew if I ordered the cheese dip, I'd eat the whole thing myself so I refrained from ordering it and stuck with just the tacos instead.

Substitutions like some of the other people on here mentioned are great too - just swap out a normally junky food for something healthier. It will make a difference in the long run.

You'll overcome it if you keep trying and it will become second nature to you. Good luck! :-)
  • MissFluffyBottoms
    Options
    My advice: Eat whatever you want, but log it religiously.

In my experience, seeing the caloric effect of what I am eating keeps me from wanting the bad stuff. Especially when you compare the calories to the exercise it takes to burn them.

^This!
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat you are in. I don't buy fruit or vegetables, because they are expensive and they rot fast. I find it a waste of money.
  • mcneesbit65
    Options
    I have the same problem. But what has helped me a lot is not being able to afford to go to Mcdonalds or Burger King, etc. Without money burning a hole in my pocket I realized that I needed to eat healthier without over spending. I definitely noticed that after eating at Mcdonalds only once after not eating there for a month I felt groggy and icky. Also, from what others have been saying log it and see how many calories, sodium, etc. you're taking in. It's hard but we got to do it.
  • elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Story of my life. Can't wait to see what advice you get :flowerforyou:

:drinker:

The cold turkey thing would be easy if I were single and without children, my trouble is picky eaters in the house, I feel it's my job as mom and wife to keep them happy before myself, the fight with picky eaters is such a pain so there is always temptation around, i just remind myself of the reasons I'm on this journey and temptations will always be there. Try preparing your own "fast food", like spend an afternoon putting together ready to go snacks and meals for the week then you can grab and go.

sorry, but that sounds like an excuse.

Who is the mother in the family? Who is the boss? Sounds like the kids are.
    Nobody likes to be told 'no' but nobody ever gets told 'yes' all the time throughout life.
    Kids want chicken nuggets? Buy some at the store, and BAKE them, have a few packets of the dipping sauces from the fast food place on hand so they taste similar to what you would get at the drive thru, add a side of BAKED french fries. It's a start, a small but slow start.

It won't happen overnight, the family will fight you, but if losing weight, and eating healthy is something you want, you need to fight for it.

I do have a friend that never told her kid 'no' to fast food, she let him have another pepsi, have an extra cookie (or 4), he cried and whined about wanting more chips...she never said no. By the time he was 15, he was pushing 350 pounds. It was sad to watch him waste away. Not saying that this situation will happen to your kids, but to experience it, and be a silent observer (nobody wants to be told how to raise their kids)...I wish I didn't have to watch it happen.

I think I have been misunderstood, I usually am. Our budget does not allow room for fast food restaurants, my family loves their pizza, nuggets, burgers and fries, over and over and over, mind you I'm the only one with the weight issue. I do buy and bake for them & they eat fruits and veggies for snacks. What I meant I guess is for burger night I would like to change to turkey burger or something, and have sweet potato fries, or veggie pizza rather than pepperoni, so usually I fix what they want for them and settle for a salad or soup for myself since I haven't figured out a way to fit what I want to try and what they like in the budget.

I know what you mean by having to watch that happen, my friend does the same, a stomp wine or cry and the 7 year old wins. I could never let that happen rather it was affordable for us or not because I would never want my family to feel the way I have felt for years.
  • giglqueen
    giglqueen Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is a battle I have with myself every single day. I'm definitely addicted to food and the food always wins. I wish I was one of those people that can take 1 bite of something and throw it away. If it's something I want I'm soooo not tossing it away! I am not a cold turkey person though, I think it makes me crave it so much more, but I do need to learn some self control. Thank you for posting because I loved reading everyone's responses!! :)
  • dpcunningham
    Options
    I started my lifestyle change in December and to date have lost about 22 lbs. I have 10 more to go. I cut out all the fast foods, and fried foods. I startyed buying Carving Board turkey, roast beef and ham. It's in the lunch meat section of your stores. Its low in fat and calories and taste great. I eat a lot of red bell peppers. They have a crunch and are sweet. I think I almost live on them. When I eat in a restaurant I usually order a shell fish; like shrimp, mussels, crab..... I ask that they be prepared without oil, maybe a notfat spray and then get the veg. raw on the side. It has made all the difference in the world. If my husband orders a dessert I may take one bite and walk away. Make up your mind that it is your choice, a lifestyle change and it's forever. When your mind believes it everything will fall into place. I only lose about a pound a week, but it is finally easy. Now, with that said, if I have an alcoholic drink it takes about 150 of my calories awayt!!!! Good luck. If I can do it anyone can.