Just starting to run -- Is this even feasible??

Options
I have just started to run -- am on week 3 of the C25K. I have signed up for my first 5K which is on May 5th. I'm not sure I'll be able to run the entire thing, but my goal is just to finish within the pacing requirements (16 min mile) and I'm pretty sure I'm on track to do that right now. I want to sign up for another race so that I have another goal to work for after the 5K. I can be pretty lazy and need something tangible to motivate me.

So, there is a 10-mile race that I've had my eye on. My question is this -- Is this something that is even feasible? The race already 75% full, so I need to sign up soon if I want to get in on it. I was hoping to be able to wait until about 2 months out before parting with my cash to see where I am in my training, but I'm certain it will be full within the next week or so. Here's a little background on me and the race:

*It is the last weekend in September, so I have roughly 6 months to train.
*I need to lose about 50 pounds to get to a healthy BMI and am working to lose those the correct way -- 1-2 pounds per week.
*I have never been a runner -- ran sprints in track as a kid, but no distance running. Was an athlete in my younger days -- gymnastics, volleyball, basketball and softball, but haven't done any sort of regular physical activity consistantly for the past 10-15 years.
*On week 3 of the C25K and doing okay so far. I run very slowly -- about 4.7 mph and walk at 3.3 to 3.5. I've also been doing some faster intervals about 2x per week -- 7.0 for 30 secs/walk for 1.5 min. for 1-2 miles.
*Race pace is 16 min mile.
*Goal is only to finish with pacing requirements.
*Plan to follow Jeff Galloway's training program which I would need to start no later than the end of May -- planning to start right after the 5k so that I can repeat a week or two if I'm not ready to move on.

So, what do you think? I know anything is possible if you put your mind to it. But I know myself well enough to know that if it gets too hard, I will quit. And I don't want to set myself up to fail. Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Im on my 2nd week of the C25k program....My sister and I have signed up for our first 5k June 23rd....Its kicking my butt. I have never attempted to run before in my life. But anything is do able if you want it bad enough ;-)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My only concern would be minimum finishing time. Do they close the course after a certain time? i.e. open it back up to traffic. I did a 5k in February that also had a 10k and half. They closed the finish line at 4 hours, which is 18:20 pace
  • niclodn
    niclodn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My only concern would be minimum finishing time. Do they close the course after a certain time? i.e. open it back up to traffic. I did a 5k in February that also had a 10k and half. They closed the finish line at 4 hours, which is 18:20 pace

That's my concern as well. Its a Disney race and from what I understand they "sweep" the course based on pacing requirements from the time the last corral crosses the start line. So, basically 2 hours and 40 minutes after the last corral starts, anyone not finished would be "swept". I expect to be in the last corral since that's where the slower runners and those without proof of pace from a prior race are put.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I went from only being able to run 1 mile straight to a half marathon in 4 months! Give your mind more power then your body and you can do anything! WITH the right pair of shoes anyway lol
  • niclodn
    niclodn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Im on my 2nd week of the C25k program....My sister and I have signed up for our first 5k June 23rd....Its kicking my butt. I have never attempted to run before in my life. But anything is do able if you want it bad enough ;-)

Good luck to you! I know anything is do-able, but I'm really concerned about the mental aspect -- I tend to quit when the going gets tough. And as I look at the training plan, all I can think about is can I really build up the stamina required to do this in 6 short months???
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    It's completely feasible. Just make sure that you stick your training program and use the goal of not getting swept as your motivation for keeping up with it.

And make sure that the schedule fits into your life, it doesn't have to be 100% to the letter of what's mapped out. I use Hal Higdon's plans and he stresses this a lot. Basically, if the schedule says for the rest day to be Thursday, but you want to be able to put Friday nights, make the rest day Friday, and adjust the workouts accordingly. But whatever adjustments you make, get it set and stick to it.

I put mine into a calendar template in Word, print it out and hang it by my front door. Then I check off each day after I finish the workout. My personality would never let me have a missed day unless I truly had no other choice, so even on days I may not feel like it, I make sure I go so I can get that check mark. It's also visible to my hubby, so that adds a small bit of extra accountability, though it's mostly to myself.

Plus, once you've shelled out the money for Disney race fees, that should be motivation enough to stick it out. My Disneyland race fees are twice the cost of any other same-distances races I've done/signed up for. lol
  • CindyBretta
    Options
    Yes, it is feasible.

You will probably be able to finish with the allowed time, but even if you don't, it's still great to be registered for a race and have that as a goal when you start running.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    6 months of training is very feasible! You can do it! I trained for a 1/2 marathon in about 4 months and prior to that I had only run a local 5k race. Just find a training schedule that works for you and stick to it. You can do! :flowerforyou:
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Plus, once you've shelled out the money for Disney race fees, that should be motivation enough to stick it out. My Disneyland race fees are twice the cost of any other same-distances races I've done/signed up for. lol

^^ And this too! Great motivation! Plus Disney has the best shirts/medals for their races! :happy:
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... if you have a friend running the 10 mile run... why not just run with them - I have done that before. Granted it's not official and you don't get listed on a website or even get a bib - but it's still running ... (for free i may add)...

Does that make me a horrible person for even suggesting it?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I am a slow runner, too, and if you are using Jeff' Galloway's method (I do, too) you should have no trouble finishing the race in time. A 16 minute mile is really a moderately fast walk.

I just started running last April. I ran in the Neverland 5K in January. I signed up for it a few days after they opened registration. My sister kept trying to talk me into the half marathon but I didn't think I'd be ready. When August rolled around and I realized I would be able to handle it, the registration was already full. I did run another half two weeks earlier, so I was definitely more than ready. Even though the 5K was a blast I cannot tell you how much I regretted not having registered for the half.

I didn't start to really take training for that half seriously until mid-October at which time I ran a 10K race. In three months I was able to run that half marathon without pain, injury or other incident and finished in 2:42. You are not going to have any problems with a 10 mile race as long as you stick to a training schedule. I say "Go for it!"
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Without a doubt, as long as you are healthy enough to run, you can train for the 10-miler. I would even say if you wanted to run a full marathon you could probably accomplish that as well. But that's starting to push the boundaries where injury risk increases quite a bit.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes.

6 months is plenty of time. I'd look into even B210K after you finish C25K, maybe Hal Higdon's 1/2 Marathon training plan after that.
    I started C25K March of last year and finished my first 1/2 Marathon in October and first 1/2 Ironman by December of the same year.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5K on April 28th, and don't know if I can do it either, but honestly....does it matter that much if you can run the whole thing, or you have to walk some of it?

Most important thing is that you're DOING THIS...and challenging yourself (and if you walk part of it, I can guarantee you won't be the only one!).

Good luck!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 10 mile race about 4 months after I started running. You can definitely do this. A know a number of people that have used the Galloway method with a good deal of success and I've used Hal Higdon's marathon training plan.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's ambitious but doable as long as you train consistently and build your distances gradually between now and race day.

*******Warning******* The Surgeon General has determined that running is addictive and may result in a happier and healthier life.
  • KatesBadAss
    KatesBadAss Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can. I was 60 pounds overweight. A smoker. A drinker. I quit smoking. Stopped drinking. Started walking. For some straaange reason, I started running. Just a few minutes each day, than I just kept pushing myself further and further. I'm one of those that quit because it's too hard or I just get bored. 6 months later and I've run three 5k's and a 10K. I'm training for a half marathon. If you don't look at the large picture, do it slow and steady, you can do it. Just don't EVER give up. Slow down, just don't give up. Let me tell you, that runner's high is no joke and better than any drug or drink out there. It's a personal journey....
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I say: do it!!
    You have plenty of time to work on your speed.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Feasible yes...enjoyable..probably not.