Just starting to run -- Is this even feasible??

Options
2»

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I went from only being able to run 1 mile straight to a half marathon in 4 months! Give your mind more power then your body and you can do anything! WITH the right pair of shoes anyway lol

Hell yeah! I ran my first half marathon (ok, ran/walked) in about 2:40 6 months after I started running. First time running I couldn't run a half a mile straight! Just keep at it, and stick to your training schedule and you can do it! Totally agree about the shoes too, get fitted for some good running shoes at a running store. If they are out of your price range, get fitted anyway, then scope out deal online or at a larger sporting goods store where you might be able to find the same shoes (or same shoes just a season older) for much cheaper. Started running less than 2 years ago and I'm running my 3rd half marathon this Saturday (shaved 10 mins off my original time when I did my 2nd one, hoping for an even better time this go round). You can do it!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to say - hats off to you, you're very brave!

On the "is it feasible front?" I'm no pro, but I'd think so. With the C25K program I went from barely able to climb a flight of stairs to being able to run 5.5miles in 5 weeks. I've never been a runner, certainly not long-distance. In fact, I barely liked walking anywhere a few months ago....

Keep training, keep doing what you're doing!! Go for it xD
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's ambitious but doable as long as you train consistently and build your distances gradually between now and race day.

*******Warning******* The Surgeon General has determined that running is addictive and may result in a happier and healthier life.

Haha love this...it's also been reported that some people report a feeling of euphoria also known as "Runner's High" upon completion of a run.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Is it a 10 mile run or 10k? If a 10k you can prep for it by run/walk training. If a 10 mile run that is quite a big jump from 5k (3.1) miles and you may want to take more time to build up to it. If for nothing else but to ensure you have good form throughout the whole run to save you knees and legs. Stay motivated!!!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Feasible yes...enjoyable..probably not.

I disagree. She's not trying to break any records just looking to finish. As long as the pace is kept realistic you'll enjoy it.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Totally feasible. Find yourself a good training program (I like Hal Higdon) and stick with it. Most programs are 9-12 weeks so you have plenty of time.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Totally feasible! Of course you can do it. Don't let anyone tell you you can't.

And for crying-out-loud, certainly don't let anyone tell you you won't have fun doing it.
  • wearywithchildren
    Options
    I started the C25K in January 2011, ran my first 5K in July (did OK, approximately 12 min./mile) and kept running regularly. Ran my second 5K in November. I ran the whole thing and improved my pace but only slightly better than 12 minutes/mile. Then I ran a 4-mile race in February and a 7K in March both around 11 min./mile.

Ok, so not everyone is the same but I'll tell you that the 7K kind of kicked my butt. Up until that point, I was thinking I might be ready for a 10K (6.2 miles) only to be truly humbled by the 7K (4.45 miles).

I hate to discourage anyone but realistic expectations are important. A 10-mile race is a long one. For the 7K, I ran four hours a week to train. To be able to run 10 miles, especially if you're a slower runner (like me), you need even more training time.

Having said, if you have the time to train and are dedicated, nothing is impossible! I just wanted to share my experience as a reference point. BTW, I was also never a runner but a dancer in my younger years and I'm about 30 pounds over weight right now. HTH
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!!! You've got 6 months to train! It'll take hard work and dedication but you can do it.
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You can so do it! I never ran before and my trainer suggested it to loss more weight. I've resisted for the longest time and only agreed to running either I hit 150lbs or fit into a size 7/8 pants. Needless to say, I still haven't reached 150 lbs but I fit nicely in a size 7/8 jeans. I'm also the type of person who won't do anything without a purpose. We had a Team in Training for LLS come to the office and I was intrigued. They events for the spring was for half marathons and several full marathons. I signed up without know how far a half marathon was. I almost fainted when I learned it was for 13.1 miles?!:noway: ?!? That was in November last year. Training Started in December and in 14 weeks time, I ran the NYC half marathon on March 18, 2012, in 2:43:01 averaging out 12:27 a mile. You need to know your strength, weakness and determination. 4 weeks into training, I realized my body liked the run/walk intervals better than straight running so I went with that. I'm transitioning and adjusting my run/walk intervals to run more versus walk portion. My next race is April 22 for a 4mile run followed by the Women's mini 10K and JP Morgan Chase Challenge 3.5miles in June.

Keep focus and train smart!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you have good shoes that protect your feet. I started running a few months ago.....very small start....and hurt a foot...so have had to be off exercise now.........good shoes will be worth the money spent (but you probably know that already).
  • jenncazares
    Options
    bump
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Totally feasible! Of course you can do it. Don't let anyone tell you you can't.

And for crying-out-loud, certainly don't let anyone tell you you won't have fun doing it.

^^ This!

You can absolutely be ready in 6 months!
    I too went from 5k to half marathon in about 4 months. In retrospect I probably should have given myself an extra couple of months to be fully prepared but you are already on the right track and it sounds like you're training sensibly. If you keep working like you are it's unlikely you'll even have to worry about being "swept"!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I went from only being able to run 1 mile straight to a half marathon in 4 months! Give your mind more power then your body and you can do anything! WITH the right pair of shoes anyway lol

Could you teach me how to properly breath, I always get panicky and can't get my breath right and end up stopping.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Could you teach me how to properly breath, I always get panicky and can't get my breath right and end up stopping.

You should slow down your pace, or alternate between intervals of walking and running until your endurance improves such that you can run continuously for longer periods of time. Running is one of those things that will gradually get better as you do it, but you have to keep doing it regularly.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options

It could be the way you hold your body when you run. All the great runners look like robots and they make it look so easy. You get tired more and cant take in air as easy if you dont have your hips forward, chest up and hands loose. Do you the gym and ask them if they have a running clinic. They will watch you run and tell you what you need to do. Also, you have to build up your lungs....I have a heart problem and my heart and lungs were hard to get over so I took it nice and slow to build up the muscle...honestly the first 2 to 3 miles are ALWAYS the hardest...after that, its cake.
  • niclodn
    niclodn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement! I'm gonna bite the bullet and register. I realize 10 miles is a LONG way, but I don't plan to run the entire thing -- I like Jeff Galloway's run/walk approach. I've done hikes that are 10+ miles, but those have always been at a slower (think meandering) pace. So I need to work on that and my endurance. Will definately be investing in proper shoes -- planning to hit the running store this weekend for a gait analysis:)

Any other tips or advice is appreciated!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    The number one thing I tell to all new runners. Slow down.
    This is the reason why so many new runners fail is because they try to go too fast or too long.

Number two, Pick up a foam roller. It is an invaluable tool that will help you stay injury free.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump