"If I eat late, it's stored as fat"

Options
auroranflash
auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
So, I was cooking dinner a little earlier than usual last night. Sometimes we don't eat until 10pm, but last night I came straight home after the gym and cooked dinner: Yummy sauteed baby bok choy, chicken & shrimp, and sauteed onions & peppers with a little soy sauce and olive oil/chili oil.

I said "Man, it sure is easier cooking early, so I get it done, get to clean up, and actually relax for the rest of the night."

My boyfriend made the comment, "Yep, plus it's better not to eat later, because of what your body does with the food" ... i.e. 'stores it as fat', the whole "Don't eat after ____pm" thing.

I said, "Baby, that's just a myth."

He goes, "....really? A myth?"

"Yep."

He has always thought this and I think a good lot of people do. When I first started MFP, about a year ago, I bought in to a lot of things that were said on 'health' articles posted on MSN and Yahoo, such as 'Don't eat late' 'Bread will make you fat', etc etc. I was horrified and questioned and stressed over every meal, especially Dinner. I thought that, even if I ate sensibly and worked out during the day, if I ate a piece of garlic bread at 10pm, my whole day was shot and that was the reason I wouldn't lose any weight. It seriously caused a lot of stress and was one of the reasons I fluctuated 5lbs for the entire 8 months or so I was on MFP before January 2012 when something just clicked and it all started working (i.e., I actually started counting calories, sticking to it, logging everything in detail, logging weekends, exercising, and not feeling like 'I blew it' if I had a slice of pizza after 9 o' clock).

When I came to the realization that it really WAS just Calories In vs. Calories Out, I felt free. I started to lose weight, because I knew I could make the right choices and actually LOSE the weight by doing so, and there was no secret time to eat, I wasn't restricted to 5 or 6 meals a day, and nothing other than over-eating would cause me to gain. I was in control, and I made the decision whether the scale was up or down that day (or week, or month). Not some magical demon I conjured up who glued fat to my belly if I ate after a certain time, or skipped breakfast....

That was the biggest difference in the world to me. I feel like so many more people would feel the same 'free' feeling and feel more positive toward losing weight if this would make sense for them, but a lot of people still hold on to those ideas. Unfortunately when you try to share this information that's meant so much to you, those old ideas are so ingrained that they think it's the honest-to-God truth and that letting go of these ideas will cause them to gain any weight back that they may have already lost, or will totally impede their future efforts.

This is just my experience and I wanted to hear back from you all. I know I only really felt in control when I got rid of these silly myths and educated myself on reality, and for that, I have finally started losing weight and keeping it off, knowing how to make smart choices and what was right for 'me'. And it all has to do with calories in vs calories out. It's all just math. And this site does it for you, as long as you are honest.

You guys have been a big part of the educational side that has finally given me the freedom of knowing the truth and what really works.

Thank you.

Have myths and hangups ever caused you un-due stress or made you falter in weight-loss?

If you still believe some of the things I have listed here, could you explain why, and maybe provide an example on how you think your weight loss is affected by any of these?

Replies

• TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    The latest stuff I hear is that when you eat or if you eat many small portions versus a couple of big meals does not matter. I'm sure this is still highly debated. :)
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I love this post. You are right on point. Once upon a time when I was fit, I always ate at night. A nice sweet snack to end my day made me feel rather satisfied. It's not when you eat as much as what and how much! My problem now is the how much. Anyway... great post. I'm glad you are albe to not stress so much now. :smile:
  • abookreader2
    abookreader2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I think I have a little of that stress about eating something and I think I blew it for the day. I worry constantly about going over my calories then at the end of the day I usually have some to use. I am trying to train myself to not stress over it :/ Still working on that. I excercise at least 3 times a week and on days I don't exercise I am very nervous about what I eat. Oh our crazy minds LOL A work in progress : )
  • lu136mickey
    lu136mickey Posts: 202
    Options
    I do not think it matters what time you eat as long as you do not go to bed right after you eat. I work nights so if that was true I would never loose weight!!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I :heart: you.

Before MFP, I thought the stupid shizz. Like in order to lose weight I had to burn exactly how many calories I was eating. I now see how absurd that was. This place has really been my savior.
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I know these are myths but I and I'm sure there are other who find it hard to let go of them. "It's what I've been told my whole life. It has to be right, but wait OMG all these things I've been taught and raised to know is are foolish myths". It's just hard to come to terms with for many of us, but believe me I know they are myths in the back of my head. The retraining of the brain takes time lol
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Aurie,
    You have hit the nail on the head yet again!
    If it were possible to just tell everyone, "Forget what you THINK you know and simply log everything you eat, focusing on calories" we would have far fewer frustrated and ranting people. Naturally, you can tweek it here and there if you want to consume less fat, more protein, less sodium, etc. But we must first remove all that stored "knowledge" about dieting and just start from a clean slate.

It REALLY is as EASY as Calories In and Calories Out.

You're just rocking, chickie!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    The latest stuff I hear is that when you eat or if you eat many small portions versus a couple of big meals does not matter. I'm sure this is still highly debated. :)

It is still highly debated! They are good for people with different needs. A diabetic should only eat 3 or 4 times in a day, especially if insulin dependent. Where someone who is hyperglycemic needs to eat more frequently to avoid crashes. Depends on where you fall! I personally have food 5 times a day. Works for me!

I love the eat late = extra fat thing. It really doesn't make sense. The recommendation is good, but not because it's stored as fat, but because people tend to do most of their mindless eating at night. So if you mentally close the kitchen at 8 pm, it's easier to avoid over eating.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    People tend to over complicate weightloss with all these rules they feel they must abide by, they become too cumbersome and they give up.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I go to bed at 1am (sometimes 4am if I'm finishing Mass Effect 3 or some other game... lol), and it would be impossible for me to "close the kitchen" at 8pm. My lunch is at 8pm!
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've actually ready a few studies that say eat at night so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode while you sleep. There is so much information/myths out there that I personally just stopped listening to them and take what info I want because you are right, it does get very stressfull.

Thank you for sharing
  • auroranflash
    Options
    People tend to over complicate weightloss with all these rules they feel they must abide by, they become too cumbersome and they give up.

That is EXACTLY what I did. And it completely deflated me. I stressed and then felt like I blew it and gave up, then worked hard for a few days, rinse, repeat. No wonder I kept gaining and losing the same 5lbs, constantly getting more frustrated. AC, some of the things you have posted in the past have actually been a big part of me learning the difference between fact and fiction, I just have never said it before, so.. thank you :]
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I do not think it matters what time you eat as long as you do not go to bed right after you eat. I work nights so if that was true I would never loose weight!!
    You can go to bed right after you eat.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    if I eat late it is stored at awesomeness....
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    Before I came here, I also believed that! I thought your digestion process slowed down at night so you absorbed more fat and calories and that's why you weren't supposed to eat late. I actually panicked because I generally save about half my calories for the evening and thought I would never lose weight that way.
  • auroranflash
    Options
    I've actually ready a few studies that say eat at night so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode while you sleep. There is so much information/myths out there that I personally just stopped listening to them and take what info I want because you are right, it does get very stressfull.

Thank you for sharing

Starvation response takes much longer than over night. The body is much more complex than that! It is actually good to give your body a break and not make it work overnight digesting food, so it can focus on repairing your cells, muscles, etc. Also you will get more quality sleep if your body is not preoccupied digesting food. Or alcohol, for that matter. Other than that, when you eat has no effect on whether you will gain weight, from everything I have read and experienced.
  • MaryS910
    MaryS910 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz actually addressed this a few weeks ago as one of the myths he was debunking. He said your body doesn't know what time it is. I eat supper between 7 - 10 pm every night and it hasn't hurt me any.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    brother whole heartedly still believes eating at night is bad, but he does it anyway :frown: :huh: :huh: :huh: lol and thinks I shouldn't do it. I eat if I'm hungry enough. a serving of peanuts are always good
  • ahonea84
    ahonea84 Posts: 24
    Options
    I had no idea, I still thought that was true. I'm glad I opened this post up. :happy:
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    You can go to bed right after you eat.
    You can, but I wouldn't recommend it due to the increased risk for GERD.