"If I eat late, it's stored as fat"

Options
2»

Replies

• OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    if I eat late it is stored at awesomeness....

LEGEN.... wait for it.... DARY!
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Glad you brought it up. I find it interesting that a lot of people assume a lot of things in general. I do try to eat about 5 times a day...and I was told...you know that is a myth.

Well I don't eat 5 times a day to help metabolism, I do it because I found that when I do eat 5 times a day I am never hungry, so I don't over eat when I do have a meal. I am well aware of the calories in and out studies and I believe them. But I still follow what is working for me.

Although I will say the eating at night IS bad for me....because I am usually eating late for reasons other than nourishment. Most likely to binge late at night. Again, these are nothing to do with anything other than what works for me.
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    Dr. Oz actually addressed this a few weeks ago as one of the myths he was debunking. He said your body doesn't know what time it is. I eat supper between 7 - 10 pm every night and it hasn't hurt me any.

Dr Oz is a QUACK!!!!!!!!! LOL
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    People tend to over complicate weightloss with all these rules they feel they must abide by, they become too cumbersome and they give up.

That is EXACTLY what I did. And it completely deflated me. I stressed and then felt like I blew it and gave up, then worked hard for a few days, rinse, repeat. No wonder I kept gaining and losing the same 5lbs, constantly getting more frustrated. AC, some of the things you have posted in the past have actually been a big part of me learning the difference between fact and fiction, I just have never said it before, so.. thank you :]

;D
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I've actually ready a few studies that say eat at night so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode while you sleep. There is so much information/myths out there that I personally just stopped listening to them and take what info I want because you are right, it does get very stressfull.

Thank you for sharing

Starvation response takes much longer than over night. The body is much more complex than that! It is actually good to give your body a break and not make it work overnight digesting food, so it can focus on repairing your cells, muscles, etc. Also you will get more quality sleep if your body is not preoccupied digesting food. Or alcohol, for that matter. Other than that, when you eat has no effect on whether you will gain weight, from everything I have read and experienced.

Thanks for that reply! This is why I try not to eat too late at night. It's not because I believe it's stored as fat, or that I will only lose weight if I don't eat after XX pm....It's because I'd rather not have my body working at digesting food when it should be resting/repairing.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Well I don't eat 5 times a day to help metabolism, I do it because I found that when I do eat 5 times a day I am never hungry...

Right there with you BruteSquad (great user handle btw). I eat every couple of hours throughout the day to keep me from eating 2000 calories in one sitting later on. Plus, I am the world's most miserable prick when I'm hungry.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    those nestle peanut butter eggs sure hit the spot about 930pm and I fall into bed about 932pm..lol :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Glad you brought it up. I find it interesting that a lot of people assume a lot of things in general. I do try to eat about 5 times a day...and I was told...you know that is a myth.

Well I don't eat 5 times a day to help metabolism, I do it because I found that when I do eat 5 times a day I am never hungry, so I don't over eat when I do have a meal. I am well aware of the calories in and out studies and I believe them. But I still follow what is working for me.

Although I will say the eating at night IS bad for me....because I am usually eating late for reasons other than nourishment. Most likely to binge late at night. Again, these are nothing to do with anything other than what works for me.
    And your 100% right. People need to eat, and you eat 5 times a day, nothing wrong with that, and you can have your last meal right up to the time you go to bed. I eat 3 times a day and generally no snacks. Also if a person tends to binge at night, and it's within their calorie goal, then that's fine, if not, then, well it's a for sure their going to be gaining weight.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

And your 100% right. People need to eat, and you eat 5 times a day, nothing wrong with that, and you can have your last meal right up to the time you go to bed. I eat 3 times a day and generally no snacks. Also if a person tends to binge at night, and it's within their calorie goal, then that's fine, if not, then, well it's a for sure their going to be gaining weight.

Exactly! However ... articles on MSN and Yahoo (and even on Dr Oz's Abide-By-These-Skinny-Laws list) it says NO FOOD AFTER 8pm! .... why? Because you tend to not eat as healthy after that time. You're snacking or vegging out on the couch, watching reruns of Stargate SG1.

Well, that's not a reason. You can eat at any time, and it is ALWAYS a matter of whether it fits into your calorie goals, and the quality of food you are eating. And people don't see that, they only read what's in bold, and that's "NO FOOD AFTER 8pm!" Thus extending the life of the myth.... I get annoyed because it's logic like this - and articles that only say this, and don't say the rest of their reasoning behind it - that caused me to be in a rut for so long :P
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think the only time you gain weight is by eating "pound cake" late at night. That's what a friend of my brother's girlfriend said cause they watch info-mercials late at night. True story. :wink:
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's not just the myths, but often it's the person who's telling you the myth. I'd look to people who had lost weight for advice and they were often full of myths. They would credit not eating after 6pm, but in reality it was the fact they were extending their night time fast or not eating their normal bowl of ice cream.

It goes on and on.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    If you eat a big breakfast, that will also get stored as fat, until your body gets around to burning it.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    if I eat late it is stored at awesomeness....

LEGEN.... wait for it.... DARY!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA:love:
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The latest stuff I hear is that when you eat or if you eat many small portions versus a couple of big meals does not matter. I'm sure this is still highly debated. :)

the reason i believe for eating small meals is just so you dont get that "hungry" feeling or cravings and over eat.

Ask me what I want to eat when i feel like im starving lol it will be like from that movie "Half Baked"

"Get some sour cream and onion chips with some dip, man, some beef jerky, some peanut butter. Get some Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars, a whole lot, make sure chocolate, gotta have chocolate, man. Some popcorn, red popcorn, graham crackers, graham crackers with marshmallows, the little marshmallows and little chocolate bars and we can make s'mores, man. Also, celery, grape jelly, Cap'n Crunch with the little Crunch berries, pizzas. We need two big pizzas, man, everything on 'em, with water, whole lotta water, and Funyons. "

But if you ask me what i want to eat when ive been snacking all day on small meals... a small healthy meal will be fine.