What are you reading right now?

Options

Replies

• ms61840
    ms61840 Posts: 29
    Options
    Anything and everything by Christopher Moore -- he's brilliant. I am in the middle of Dirty Job right now. If you like a bit of sarcastic, twisted humor with relevant brilliance and a touch of a soft side, he delivers for sure.

The Lamb is one of my all-time favorite books!

I love to read and am getting some GREAT ideas off of this thread. I just finished Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster. It was a really entertaining memoir that starts with Jen having a great job making tons of $ and wasting it shamefully. Then, she and her live-in boyfriend both loose their jobs and can't find new ones. They loose all their possesions and grow up a lot. The best part of the book isn't the plot, though, it's the style the book is written in....it's hillarious. Not the most intellectual thing I've ever read, but a really funny light read.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I'd also recommend The Shack. It's about a man whose young daughter gets kidnapped and killed. He goes into depression and then gets a written invitation from God to go back to the location of the murder. He ends up going and God is actually there. They talk about the anger, blame, guilt, regret and other emotions he is going through. It's surprisingly uplifting, although you do have to be willing to accept some pretty far-out elements of the story.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I'm getting close to finishing "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice. Very LONG (a little over 1000 pages) by worth it.

The Mayfair Witches are wonderful! Hehe. I do prefer Blood and Gold, her last installment of the Vampire Chronicles.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the Twilight series and literally yesterday after reading 300 pages of the third book I had to force myself to go to sleep (Cuz I had to be up at 5:30 am for work) and then I dreamt about it. I've been told its kind of a "kid" book but I have to say that I'm 31 years old and have found this to be the greatest romance/drama story that I've ever read. Makes my heart flitter with that "high school love" feeling again.

Me too!!!!!! I am SO NOT a science fiction fan but this series is wonderful!!! It sucks you in. I stayed up waaay too late last night finishing the thrid book. Can't wait to start the last one!!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I'm reading the Twilight series and literally yesterday after reading 300 pages of the third book I had to force myself to go to sleep (Cuz I had to be up at 5:30 am for work) and then I dreamt about it. I've been told its kind of a "kid" book but I have to say that I'm 31 years old and have found this to be the greatest romance/drama story that I've ever read. Makes my heart flitter with that "high school love" feeling again.

Me too!!!!!! I am SO NOT a science fiction fan but this series is wonderful!!! It sucks you in. I stayed up waaay too late last night finishing the thrid book. Can't wait to start the last one!!

Stephanie has part of Breaking Dawn on her site...it's the one of Twilight from Edwards perspective that was leaked on the internet. It's really good. I've read the Saga 5 times now...If you like Twilight you'll like The Mortal Instruments, Vampire Academy, and House Of Night novels.
  • MissGorgeous
    MissGorgeous Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    my husband and i have a little routine
    we read the kids a book before their bedtime
    and then we get in bed our selfs and do crossword puzzles or suduku puzzles or read a book....well after alot of convincing i got him to agree to twilight!

so we read twilight and new moon and eclipse
    and last night we finished breaking dawn
    all thoes in the last month and thats saying alot because
    we have 3kids and he works 60+hrs a week! lol
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I am 2/3 through "The Mammoth Hunters"
    it's the 3rd book in the Earth's Children series (Clan of the Cave Bear was the 1st)

really interesting on the archaeology side, and really racy on the romance side. I really like this series. :blushing:

I have a MASSIVE stack of "to be read", because of a lil website called Book Mooch.

You must check it out, if you are like me, spending waaay too much at BN/Borders, this site is so awesome.

I've spent about $100 (all spread out, in about a 4 month period) on postage since I joined, and the total retail value of all the books I have received is WELL over $1000! No kidding!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    It reading the Twilight series. My 11 years old has read them about 4 times each and they have made me what the movie about 20 times. Figured it would read them too.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am reading the posts on this thread-- no time to read anything more.

I love to read-- no time. :ohwell:

we think alike, Marla. I was going to respond

I am reading this thread. :bigsmile:

and Sue Grafton T is for Trespass ( for 3 months now!)
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I am reading the posts on this thread-- no time to read anything more.

I love to read-- no time. :ohwell:

we think alike, Marla. I was going to respond

Well, three cheers for me-- :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: I'm in good company!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

I have a MASSIVE stack of "to be read", because of a lil website called Book Mooch.

You must check it out, if you are like me, spending waaay too much at BN/Borders, this site is so awesome.

I've spent about $100 (all spread out, in about a 4 month period) on postage since I joined, and the total retail value of all the books I have received is WELL over $1000! No kidding!

Also try
    www.betterworldbooks.com

It's a wonderful site!!!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    [
    [/quote]

Stephanie has part of Breaking Dawn on her site...it's the one of Twilight from Edwards perspective that was leaked on the internet. It's really good. I've read the Saga 5 times now...If you like Twilight you'll like The Mortal Instruments, Vampire Academy, and House Of Night novels.
    [/quote]

Whoops...Midnight Sun...I finished Breaking Dawn again last week...it's still on the brain.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    Anything and everything by Christopher Moore -- he's brilliant. I am in the middle of Dirty Job right now. If you like a bit of sarcastic, twisted humor with relevant brilliance and a touch of a soft side, he delivers for sure.

ohhhh i love him! read several of his books. loved blood sucking fiends and you suck and lamb! :laugh: need more!!!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    Lost by Gregory Maguire. Just finished Time Travelers Wife

love him too! read stepsisters and wicked, twice. getting ready for the rest of the wicked series - just have to go pick them up.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I've been reading an excellent book, recommended by a friend of mine, written by Joe Weider (professional bodybuilding trainer for Arnold Schwartnegger back in the day) called Ultimate Bodybuilding. Its an older book but still jam-packed with great information. Not just exclusively for Bodybuilders, but anyone interested in weight lifting and strength conditioning fundamentals, diet, and some cardio and circuit training. Also, a great read for anyone interested in learning about the human anatomy, basic muscle structure, and how exercising effects those muscle groups.

Kill Zone- A Sniper Novel by Donald A. Davis and Jack Coughlin.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Same author who wrote No Country For Old Men, which they made into a movie. The Road is also being made into a movie starring Viggo Mortison, Robert Duvall and Guy Pearce. Its gonna be awesome, if you like post-apocalyptic themes, this book is rad.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Currently I'm about 70 pages into The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

I started reading the Twilight series last week.... I'm now on the third book. I LOVE these books - and I too, am SOOO not into science fiction/vampire stuff... but it's REALLY good. Another series that is supposedly written for the teenage set that I really liked was the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson- again kind of science fictiony - but really good books.
  • sinisme
    sinisme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm getting close to finishing "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice. Very LONG (a little over 1000 pages) by worth it.
    OMG, It took me forever to read that one.. but it is worth it. You HAVE to read Lasher and Taltos too!!
  • sinisme
    sinisme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I tore through Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series... and now I'm on the 3rd book of Christine Feehan's Dark Series. Nothing like some adult vampire romance novels!!!
    :bigsmile:
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    I started reading the Twilight series last week.... I'm now on the third book. I LOVE these books - and I too, am SOOO not into science fiction/vampire stuff... but it's REALLY good. Another series that is supposedly written for the teenage set that I really liked was the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson- again kind of science fictiony - but really good books.

The Maximum ride series is somewhat similar to a couple of books he wrote for adults called When the Wind Blows and the sequel the Lake House. The characters names and some of their pasts are similar, but that is where the connection ends between the two. These are not part of that series, and I acutally like them better than the Maximum ride series.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

Have you read the Vampire Chronicles? I have every book ... and the spin off books LOL
    I've tried reading the Witching Hour but find myself stopping before it really gets interesting. Now that you are saying it is worth it, I'll give it another go.

I just found out Anne Rice wrote a series on Sleeping Beauty. I'm excited to read it.
    Oh and I just read the Christ series (books 1 and 2) and was really surprised at how good they were.

Right now I am reading a Sookie Stackhouse book ... I can't remember the name. All of them have similar titles. Everyone dead I think it is called.