Water - why so much?

Options
bcattoes
bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
I often see posts on here from members stating they drink above the recommended 64 oz of water per day. Sometimes it even seems as if they are bragging about how much water they do/can drink in a day. I'm not suggesting that is good or bad, but I've always been curious as to why those that do this do it.

So for those that drink a lot of water, what makes you believe that drinking more water is better?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Yay hydration!!!!

Heh i barely meet it to 64 ounces of water a day honestly, and 3 cups of mine comes from coffee/tea
    I don't like peeing all day :C
  • SamiePuente
    Options
    I used to drink maybe 3 glasses of water a day, but then I bought one of those camelbak 33oz bottles and I can't stop drinking water now. I don't even notice I'm drinking it anymore. I keep the bottle at my desk at work and always taking sips and next thing you know I've filled it up 3 times during my 8 hours. I noticed I've felt less hunger and I'm not bloated, probably because my body isn't trying to retain to so much water anymore.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Some people excrete water (through sweat or uhh, other means) more often than others and need to replenish water more frequently. People who are constantly active generally do (and should) end up drinking more water than those who are mroe sedentary.
  • renejtrainer
    renejtrainer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I drink more than 64oz of water now because I replaced the empty calories for fruit juices with it. I figured if I can drink as much juice as I was, I can drink water. My skin is thanking me for it now. :)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Hydration? Better filtering? Not sure..
  • lisahunrichs
    lisahunrichs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In general, drinking more water helps your body process toxins and keeps your filtration system (kidneys, bladder, and urinary tract) in better working order. It also helps your digestion and your heart. Many say that drinking water can help you lose weight, since it affects your appetite. Here's a good little article: http://www.dumblittleman.com/2007/07/9-great-reasons-to-drink-water-and-how.html
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I had it drilled into me by my high school volleyball coach, drink water like it's going out of style! I also had a pre-term labor scare 2 years ago due to dehydration, and the dr said I should be drinking +100 oz a day (I was drinking maybe 16oz/day at the time). I took that VERY seriously! (even though I'm obviously not pregnant anymore) I'm thirsty all day long at work, our building is kept somewhat dry on purpose (library) so drinking 100+ oz a day isn't that hard. It's cheap, it's good for you, and it's available. I don't get as many headaches as I use to, I believe in part because of the water.:drinker:
  • IPAfan5
    IPAfan5 Posts: 27
    Options
    I drink it to supress my appetite a bit when I'm feeling hungry on my cut
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I drink way more than 64 oz a day , i do it because if i dont i can feel it, i run 6 days a week, lift 4, i also know all the benefits of drinking water has for the body and when it comes down to it its such a simple thing to add to overall health , even if you "hate" drinking water there are tons of ways to drink it, crystal light, scivation xtend, etc...
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I used to drink maybe 3 glasses of water a day, but then I bought one of those camelbak 33oz bottles and I can't stop drinking water now. I don't even notice I'm drinking it anymore. I keep the bottle at my desk at work and always taking sips and next thing you know I've filled it up 3 times during my 8 hours. I noticed I've felt less hunger and I'm not bloated, probably because my body isn't trying to retain to so much water anymore.

^^^^^ this - Camelbacks are awesome...I go through about 4 - 25 ounce bottles a day - having the straw helps me drink more...keeps you filled, flushes your system, etc...

I also drink ~ 2 cups of coffee or tea a day too - but i dont' count that towards my water intake
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    You should actually drink half your body weight in ounces. So if you weigh 200 pounds you should drink 100 ounces of water. Water has many benefits. it helps flush out toxins, helps with constipation and its just yummy.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I often see posts on here from members stating they drink above the recommended 64 oz of water per day. Sometimes it even seems as if they are bragging about how much water they do/can drink in a day. I'm not suggesting that is good or bad, but I've always been curious as to why those that do this do it.

So for those that drink a lot of water, what makes you believe that drinking more water is better?

For me, it's a must for weight loss! And for maintaining losses.
    1. Hydration. Most Americans go around dehydrated on a normal basis, and it has been known to cause all sorts of ailments.
    2. It keeps my belly full, so I'm not hungry all the time.
    3. It helps keep everything moving. My digestive track works better, I'm more regular, after years of fighting between two extremes, I'm happy to be regular!
    4. I get way fewer UTI's. Everything flowing through so much, I've not had to worry!
    5. I have more energy and fewer headaches when I drink a lot of water.
    6. My complexion has gotten a lot clearer.

I think that's all good reason to keep up my insane amount of water drinking! LOL!
  • ogottwald
    ogottwald Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I carry a gallon jug - (shaped like a milk container with a twist top). Just make sure to clean the jug on a regular bases. Reasons listed above is the reason.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The UK National Health Service says:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx

Research measuring water loss has shown that we should drink about 1.2 litres of fluid every day to stop us getting dehydrated. This works out to be about six 200ml or eight 150ml glasses, cups or mugs.

The total amount of water we lose each day and need to replace is in fact greater than this – about 2.5 litres – but we get 1 litre of the fluid we need from food and the body recovers 0.3 litres from chemical reactions in our cells. The rest needs to be taken from drinks. All non-alcoholic drinks count, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm ex-military and I have been taught and learned to follow a formula for water drinking for a variety of reasons.

The forumla is take your weight divide it by 2 and then the answer and divide it by 8. As your weight decreases you decrease your water.

Here is a link where you can read why.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/health/water-plus-oxygen-equals-weight-loss
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

I generally try to drink at least 100oz of water per day. I live in a dry, high altitude climate, and am breastfeeding. So I need lots of extra water.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water because I never want to have a kidney stone again. It was the most painful two days of my life.
  • cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I drink 3 liters of water a day! It keeps hydrated and less hungry
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from gout and I really believe that one of the reasons I don't get flare ups anymore is water - diet and weight loss are the other reasons, but even when I was 60 pounds heavier, if I wasn't drinking enough water, I could feel the beginnings of a flare up.
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    In my opinion its certainly worth bragging about. Because I used to be addicted to diet sodas and have replaced them with water. Water is great for you in so many ways. I drink at least half my weight everyday….however 64oz is the suggested amount.