Water - why so much?

Options

Replies

• boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have nothing to back this up but I read it somewhere once, so it must be true.

We are trying to lose fat.
    Fat stores a lot of the toxins we have consumed over the years.
    When we burn that fat we release those toxins.
    The kidneys have to filter those toxins.
    If you don't drink enough water your kidneys have a hard time doing their job.

So that's my rationale.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I often see posts on here from members stating they drink above the recommended 64 oz of water per day. Sometimes it even seems as if they are bragging about how much water they do/can drink in a day. I'm not suggesting that is good or bad, but I've always been curious as to why those that do this do it.

So for those that drink a lot of water, what makes you believe that drinking more water is better?

For me, it's a must for weight loss! And for maintaining losses.
    1. Hydration. Most Americans go around dehydrated on a normal basis, and it has been known to cause all sorts of ailments.
    2. It keeps my belly full, so I'm not hungry all the time.
    3. It helps keep everything moving. My digestive track works better, I'm more regular, after years of fighting between two extremes, I'm happy to be regular!
    4. I get way fewer UTI's. Everything flowing through so much, I've not had to worry!
    5. I have more energy and fewer headaches when I drink a lot of water.
    6. My complexion has gotten a lot clearer.

I think that's all good reason to keep up my insane amount of water drinking! LOL!

"Insane amount of water drinking"? How much do you drink each day?
  • cuatromommy
    cuatromommy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm naturally sweat a lot, so I need more just as a general rule of thumb. I shoot for at least 11 eight ounce glasses a day. I also use a camelbak. I love these things.

I will say that when I drink most of my water during the day, I have enough energy to get me through a tough workout. If I don't, I fade half way through and struggle to keep going.

I love coffee, but try to have at least 16 oz of water before I drink my cup of coffee.

Starting my water early in the morning is huge for me.
  • beautifulbeast11
    beautifulbeast11 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I definitely didn't like peeing all the time but after awhile my body seemed to adjust to 64oz+ of water and I go less often.

Also, if it's not plain water, I don't log it as water consumed. I guess I don't count juice as being the 'water' meant. My trainer, and a lot of my research says that the suggested 64oz is actual water, not beverages with water...

I could be wrong, but eh. I now drink water like a fish. Because of habit? I don't know, but i do seem to enjoy it and miss it when it not there.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I fuel my body with the water and food that it needs. :) My car can not run on fuel alone--it must have oil as well to keep those special parts lubricated. My body can not run on food alone--it needs water to keep my skin lubricated, to give my kidneys the water they need to work with, to give my blood some volume (is now a good time to tell you that my husband nearly died from chronic dehydration when he donated blood? He literally died and had to be revived because his blood was so thickened from chronic dehydration that the brain wasn't getting enough blood during his donation; he hasn't donated since :noway: ).

It is also said that a dehydrated body can not properly utilize the calories put into place...

All of these=I drink between 12 and 20 8 oz. glasses a day so that my body is not only fueled with food, but hydrated well.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of debate about drinking water, but for ME I find that drinking a lot of water (I'm usually around 12-16 cups a day) helps me regulate my appetite, helps me feel better, is great for my skin, and I'm just all around happier when I'm super hydrated.

Since I doubled the amount of water I drink, I've had less breakouts, my skin is softer, and I RARELY get sick aside from seasonal allergies. My bf was having issues with getting sick a lot, and when I suggested he drink a lot more water, I kid you not, he has not been sick one single time since he started. Same with my 5 year old...I swear, it's like magic!

I thought maybe it was just a coincidence for me, but when my bf and son had the exact same reaction, I knew it had to be more than just me.
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    when your body is dehydrated, you canablize it from within. so you don't really feel thirsty. but if you replace soda, juices, coffee, teas, etc, etc with big glasses of water...You will start to desire to drink MORE water. this is because the more you take in to your body, the less you have to retain in your body. so the puffy water retention goes away too.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Well I drink more than the recommended because I feel like I need it. I drink till I pee clear, which is about 10 glasses. I drink to feel full and it keeps the headaches away.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Ok, I have nothing to back this up but I read it somewhere once, so it must be true.

So that's my rationale.

So, you think you needed more than the medical recommendation because the recommendation was probably made for weight maintenance and not loss? Would that make the amount needed above the recommendation proportionate to the amount of weight being lost?
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Keeps me hydrated and flushes the toxins
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options

So that's my rationale.

So, you think you needed more than the medical recommendation because the recommendation was probably made for weight maintenance and not loss? Would that make the amount needed above the recommendation proportionate to the amount of weight being lost?

My PERSONAL view is that I sweat out buckets of water during exercise. I need to replace what's lost AND have enough to fuel normal body functions.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    There's a lot of debate about drinking water, but for ME I find that drinking a lot of water (I'm usually around 12-16 cups a day) helps me regulate my appetite, helps me feel better, is great for my skin, and I'm just all around happier when I'm super hydrated.

Since I doubled the amount of water I drink, I've had less breakouts, my skin is softer, and I RARELY get sick aside from seasonal allergies. My bf was having issues with getting sick a lot, and when I suggested he drink a lot more water, I kid you not, he has not been sick one single time since he started. Same with my 5 year old...I swear, it's like magic!

I thought maybe it was just a coincidence for me, but when my bf and son had the exact same reaction, I knew it had to be more than just me.

Interesting theory. My husband rarely drinks water, though he is trying to do better. He's one of the "I don't like the taste of water" crowd (he admits it's actually the lack of taste). He usually gets sick a couple of time per year while I rarely get sick (I drink a lot of tea and water, though I don't track it). But honestly I've rarely been sick my whole life, even when I used to drink a lot of soda and eat crap. I hope you are correct and this work for my husband!
  • magslayton
    magslayton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think your body uses water for lots of things, but if it doesn't have enough, it slows up functions that are less important in favour of more important ones, so not drinking enough can slow down your digestion processes. There's also something about that slowing metabolism. Not sure more is better though. This seems to agree: http://rocking-me.com/?p=37
  • Ondreacrandall
    Ondreacrandall Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You actually burn 80 extra calories a day by drinking 8 glasses of ice water.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I drink an insane amount of water a day (5-6 Liters a day) . Not just for the health benefits, but mainly because I don't like to drink my calories. I prefer to eat them.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I think your body uses water for lots of things, but if it doesn't have enough, it slows up functions that are less important in favour of more important ones, so not drinking enough can slow down your digestion processes. There's also something about that slowing metabolism. Not sure more is better though. This seems to agree: http://rocking-me.com/?p=37

I understand that we need water. I wasn't questioning that. I was just curious why so many feel the need to drink beyond the recommendation, which is enough for hydration in most people.

There have been some interesting responses.
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    I used to work in a Urology office and I have seen the repercussions of not drinking enough water and too much of the bad liquids.

I only drink water and brewed coffee. Coffee in the morning and in the evening.....water all the other times of day.

Hydration
    keeps me "regular" (tmi sorry)
    Makes my hair and skin look AWESOME
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Eight glasses a day of water is a vast overstatement. (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day)

The important thing is to stay hydrated, and focus on water as your major source. Most people get alot of their water intake from solid foods like watermelon, celery etc.

Water IS good because it is zero calories and your body needs it to survive. But other sources, tea mostly, can be healthy too. Most people's problem though is drinking their calories in sugary drinks that have no nutritional value (pop, fancy coffee, and some so-called "energy" drinks).
  • mudpuddlegirl
    Options
    So, what about flavored sparkling water, like the ICE brand - sweetened with Splenda. Would you count a 17 oz bottle (average size) as 2 glasses of water consumption? I am slowly working my way up to 64 oz of plain water. - coming from the "I don't like the taste or lack of taste" way.