Binge-Eating

Options
I have a problem with binge-eating. Like really bad. I need advice on how to stop the vicious cycle and keep my weight off for good!

Replies

• Abigaillee15
    Options
    I struggle too with binge eating. It normally occurs on the weekends, like Friday and Saturday night. I will sometimes eat to the point where I can't breathe and feel sick to my stomach. It is the worst feeling in the world, especially since I try so hard to be healthy during the week days.

Add me as a friend and we can help each other!
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have a major binge eating problem. I'm currently coming off of an almost week long binge... I haven't figured out how to control it yet.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Why don't you do the intelligent and obvious thing and practice moderation so you don't binge? You don't need to be "healthy" all week.

When you eat calories for the day, include into your maconutrients and calories something you've been craving. Problem solved. My diary is open, so I implore you to see that I eat whatever the heck I want. And guess what? I never binge.

Also, how many meals a day are you eating? Maybe you should consider doing 2-3 meals a day instead so that way you have larger, more satisfying meals. I only eat 3 meals a day and dang I love being stuffed! If you check my diary (March 27th), I had 1082 calories (1lb of food) from burgers and a small chocolate bar. Sometimes I'll make a gigantic burrito (that weighs around 3lbs) and eat that. I think it only takes up around 1300 calories or something like that.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    From what I understand binge eating usually occurs when you deny yourself your favorite foods and just can't take it anymore.... so my advice would not to deny yourself what you love to eat, just eat smaller portions of it.
  • taramaureen
    Options
    Why don't you do the intelligent and obvious thing and practice moderation so you don't binge? You don't need to be "healthy" all week.

When you eat calories for the day, include into your maconutrients and calories something you've been craving. Problem solved. My diary is open, so I implore you to see that I eat whatever the heck I want. And guess what? I never binge.

Also, how many meals a day are you eating? Maybe you should consider doing 2-3 meals a day instead so that way you have larger, more satisfying meals. I only eat 3 meals a day and dang I love being stuffed! If you check my diary (March 27th), I had 1082 calories (1lb of food) from burgers and a small chocolate bar. Sometimes I'll make a gigantic burrito (that weighs around 3lbs) and eat that. I think it only takes up around 1300 calories or something like that.

Dude, if it were as simple as moderation.... I'd be in 8's again. LOL.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about joining the Binge eating group on here? I binge too and it doesn't have anything to do with what I have denied myself. When I binge eat it is about eating. Plain and simple as that. Just eating and lots of it. I haven't done it for a while but I am an emotional binge eater. I binge when I'm upset, worried, scared, aggravated or depressed. Sometimes when I am bored. Go to groups and put in Binge eating. See what comes up.
  • wiscyproblems
    Options
    Thank you PeggyWoodson! I don't binge because I feel deprived typically its because I'm stressed or because I have emotional ties to foods and once I start eating unhealthy things I have a hard time stopping.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have found drinking a large glass of water when the urge hits, has helped.
    I was out picking up my bike earlier, where usually I would simply be straight on it.
    I was near shops, I felt hungry, and I went and bought a bag of chocolate brazils and raisins, as well as an egg and cress sandwich. I almost bought more too, lol.
    As I left the shop, I grabbed my bottle of water and guzzled it down.
    I managed to eat half the sandwich and maybe 5 chocolate brazils before chucking the rest in the bin and setting off on my 2 hour cycle. Last time that happened, I ended up eating all I had bought.

I also don't buy in any of the foods I might binge on.
    Instead I just buy 1 serving size pot, 1 small chocolate bar or 1 ice cream bar etc, if I want a treat. Other than that, no cake, cookies, biscuits, ice cream, bread etc in my home. Fortunately, I live alone which makes it maybe easier for me than for those with a family.,

I used to binge perhaps once a fortnight, sometimes once a week, and I purged as well, which is why I am working hard to break the habit of binge eating. It just leads to even more destructive behaviours from myself.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should consider doing 2-3 meals a day instead so that way you have larger, more satisfying meals.

I recommend this. If you have larger, less frequent meals maybe you will feel more satisfied and won't binge eat. Contrary to popular belief, you can actually eat all of your calories at once (like in the evening, for example) and still lose weight (as long as you are in a deficit).
  • AeolianHarp
    Options

It is as easy as that. And also not creating a severe caloric deficit while ascribing to unnecessary dietary rules that actually do not contribute to fat loss.

Honestly, cutting can be very easy if you make it easy. This is what I did to make it easy for myself:
    - At least include one thing that satisfies my "junk" (I hate this word but it seems to be universally understood despite its ambiguity) food craving
    - Submit to intermittent fasting - I eat at 12 and I stop eating at 8
    - Eat only three meals
    - Learn to cook - I eat a pretty diverse diet most of the time. I eat anything from stuffed chicken wrapped in prosciutto to bacon, cheeseburgers with mashed potatoes to pea and bacon risotto to white chocolate, macadamia nut pancakes with white chocolate creme anglaise! HOLLA! My meals are meals I'd eat if I wasn't trying to lose weight and it's almost always better than stuff at restaurants.
    - Keep my mind busy - This is the best one. People think about food too much. Move on. I've done so much more with my time instead of pouting. I've taught myself about postural assessment, anatomy, study methodology, advanced culinary and pastry techniques, and so forth. If you're always learning then your mind isn't focused on food.

Simple. Losing fat isn't that hard. People make it harder than it needs to be by including unnecessary dietary rules that are just pointless.
  • taramaureen
    Options

It is as easy as that. And also not creating a severe caloric deficit while ascribing to unnecessary dietary rules that actually do not contribute to fat loss.

Honestly, cutting can be very easy if you make it easy. This is what I did to make it easy for myself:
    - At least include one thing that satisfies my "junk" (I hate this word but it seems to be universally understood despite its ambiguity) food craving
    - Eat only three meals
    - Learn to cook - I eat a pretty diverse diet most of the time. I eat anything from stuffed chicken wrapped in prosciutto to bacon, cheeseburgers with mashed potatoes to pea and bacon risotto to white chocolate, macadamia nut pancakes with white chocolate creme anglaise! HOLLA! My meals are meals I'd eat if I wasn't trying to lose weight and it's almost always better than stuff at restaurants.
    - Keep my mind busy - This is the best one. People think about food too much. Move on. I've done so much more with my time instead of pouting. I've taught myself about postural assessment, anatomy, study methodology, advanced culinary and pastry techniques, and so forth. If you're always learning then your mind isn't focused on food.

Simple. Losing fat isn't that hard. People make it harder than it needs to be by including unnecessary dietary rules that are just pointless.

That's not why I binge eat, but thanks though.
  • taramaureen
    Options
    Thank you PeggyWoodson! I don't binge because I feel deprived typically its because I'm stressed or because I have emotional ties to foods and once I start eating unhealthy things I have a hard time stopping.

That's my issue: once I start I can't stop.
  • eastcoastlisa
    eastcoastlisa Posts: 5 Member
    Options

- Eat only three meals

That's not why I binge eat, but thanks though.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Well aren't you the little expert. It's easy for some people to eat in moderation. It was easy for me. For others like the people who have posted here, there are other issues going on that make it just a wee bit harder. Please don't presume that everyone is like you or that you have all the answers. Binging is a serious problem for some and it isn't overcome by "duh, moderation!"
  • eastcoastlisa
    eastcoastlisa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You SOOOOOO do not understand true Binge Eating. And you are very judgemental....That is like telling an alcholic...it's EASY. Just don't drink. Um...hello?! Very judgemental harsh words....and annoying.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If you feel that you have Binge Eating Disorder I'd recommend seeking professional help. It's usually about so much more than "food". There are great groups out there as well as individual therapy.

You can go to the Something Fishy organization website for referrals. I wish you the best, you don't have to go through this alone.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i have that problem too :( i had seen a psychologist and a counsellor but dont find them helpful.. they target at as emotional eating most of the times.. for me, i find myself full in my tummy but my mouth wants to eat!!! it's like an evil living in me.. so sad!!! i joined the support group in mfp too.. dont get much support from it but its really in you to support yourself.! it's hard!!! :(((
  • AeolianHarp
    Options
    People getting rowdy about binge eating. There is a level of accountability that must be taken. I don't disagree that it may be a disorder but I used to be a binge eater. Maybe I don't understand because I got over it so easily by simply creating a healthy relationship with food and being logical. Let's be real at the moment. You guys are referring to food as "unhealthy." There is nothing unhealthy about what you ate at that point in time. The food isn't unhealthy but your dietary habits. To me, there are no healthy or unhealthy foods.

I never, ever feel guilty eating food. Guilt as the result of eating is illogical. It just simply signals that you have a poor relationship with food. Eat. Live life. It's a joy of life. People assume that once you need to start losing fat, you need to eat salads, grilled chicken, no red meat, no chocolate bars, no this or that. It's all no and very few yeses then we wonder why we binge when presented for that delectable "no" food. And once it hits our mouth after we give in? We can't stop. The pleasure is too good.

Maybe it's different for other people but that's how it was for me. My life changed quite quickly and easily and, again, it may very well be because I chose to educate myself instead of feeding into nonsensical, mass media-driven garbage that made me uncomfortable with food.

Maybe I don't understand because there are so many people who use psychology as a scapegoat and do not want to be culpable. I held myself responsible for being obese (208lbs @ 5'6") and for eating a lot of food. I used to say, "I can't control myself" but, in actuality, I chose to eat every bite.

Do you think if you go see help that the advice will be any different than mine? That you'll have your hand held and told that you aren't accountable for your actions then put on medication? I highly doubt it but considering that prescribed medication for psychological disorders is normal now then I could be quite wrong.

Love me or hate me, there is a dash of truth to what I say.
  • taramaureen
    Options
    People getting rowdy about binge eating. There is a level of accountability that must be taken. I don't disagree that it may be a disorder but I used to be a binge eater. Maybe I don't understand because I got over it so easily by simply creating a healthy relationship with food and being logical. Let's be real at the moment. You guys are referring to food as "unhealthy." There is nothing unhealthy about what you ate at that point in time. The food isn't unhealthy but your dietary habits. To me, there are no healthy or unhealthy foods.

I never, ever feel guilty eating food. Guilt as the result of eating is illogical. It just simply signals that you have a poor relationship with food. Eat. Live life. It's a joy of life. People assume that once you need to start losing fat, you need to eat salads, grilled chicken, no red meat, no chocolate bars, no this or that. It's all no and very few yeses then we wonder why we binge when presented for that delectable "no" food. And once it hits our mouth after we give in? We can't stop. The pleasure is too good.

Maybe it's different for other people but that's how it was for me. My life changed quite quickly and easily and, again, it may very well be because I chose to educate myself instead of feeding into nonsensical, mass media-driven garbage that made me uncomfortable with food.

Maybe I don't understand because there are so many people who use psychology as a scapegoat and do not want to be culpable. I held myself responsible for being obese (208lbs @ 5'6") and for eating a lot of food. I used to say, "I can't control myself" but, in actuality, I chose to eat every bite.

Do you think if you go see help that the advice will be any different than mine? That you'll have your hand held and told that you aren't accountable for your actions then put on medication? I highly doubt it but considering that prescribed medication for psychological disorders is normal now then I could be quite wrong.

Love me or hate me, there is a dash of truth to what I say.

No, actually there's very little truth to what you say. You don't get it. Period. That's cool that you don't get it but there's no reason to write paragraphs of text bashing others because you think you know it all.