Binge-Eating

Options

Replies

• booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    as a recovered binge eater... with an occasional lapse every 3 or 4 weeks...

don't focus on losing weight- focus on eating maintenance calories and making sure you have enough fats! Avocado has been awesome for me, besides adding fat it adds flavor and volume to foods. when i was binging regularly my fat intake was LOW (until i put down that pint of ben and jerry's along with a pizza and some peanut butter at night)

track EVERYTHING. tracking my binges helped give me a visual representation of the "bad" i was eating. I used to freak out and think i blew my day if i ate some cheetos. now, when i log that bag of cheetos i can see that i didn't blow my day, and in fact i still have 500 calories i can eat! i used to think if i ate one unhealthy thing that i blew my day and would continue the binge. i like to think of this as not an "eating disorder," but "disordered eating"

get smaller plate and make a deal with yourself that you will eat everything off of a plate/bowl. super cheesy of an idea, but i made a pact with myself so often when the inner demon wants to run around and binge out of the box i have to take one more step that gives me a chance to remind myself.

finally the last thing i do to help prevent binges away from home (i work 12 hour days so most of my day is away from home) is i pack my meals/snacks the night before and don't bring my wallet to work. That way if the drivethru is looking better than my meal i can't just pull out $5 and get a unhealthy meal.

feel free to add me- this is still a struggle for me, but these things have really helped me!
  • carinaut
    carinaut Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, when I'm just craving to eat SOMETHING at night and not anything special I've been depriving myself from, i just tried to binge on low cal food, i mean really low cal, so that you can eat a whole package of it and still its not that much in calories.....I really got into canned esparragus and canned whole mushrooms for example, because for me it's way more satisfying than raw veggies. Maybe this can help you sometimes but of course I know a glass of canned veggies is not pizza or whatever you are craving for.
  • nikk0
    nikk0 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have that problem also; so I buy frozen fruit and will let a bowl thaw a bit and eat the fruit still frozen it's delicious and healthy
    so ladies enjoy!!!:smile:
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Seriously want to binge on a package of reeses peanut butter cups atm.....pms coming into play. But, they are not in the house, so in order to get them, I'll have to make a late night run to the conveinence store. Hopefully, that deterent will keep me from binging on them. Because I can state with a fact, once I start that bag, there would be no stopping tonight. My best line of defense is to keep the binging items completely out of my house. If I lose my mind and want them that badly, I'm going to have to go into town for them. That usually stops me.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just stop, pack a bag and head for the gym. Exercise is amazing, and you know that sick bloated feeling you get after you binge? Well the opposite of that feeling is the feeling you get when you get back from a hard sweaty workout. A happy satisfied feeling. Just stop eating and exercise. You can do it.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have a binging problem as well. I wish I could contribute something useful to this thread, but I still binge like 1-2x per week. I do actually binge less than I used to, which was like every other day. I found that planning out my meals ahead of time, upping my calorie intake, and eating more protein/veggies/fats helps a bit. Also, if you can, keep trigger foods out of the house.
  • xdaysbingefree
    xdaysbingefree Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    People getting rowdy about binge eating. There is a level of accountability that must be taken. I don't disagree that it may be a disorder but I used to be a binge eater. Maybe I don't understand because I got over it so easily by simply creating a healthy relationship with food and being logical. Let's be real at the moment. You guys are referring to food as "unhealthy." There is nothing unhealthy about what you ate at that point in time. The food isn't unhealthy but your dietary habits. To me, there are no healthy or unhealthy foods.

I never, ever feel guilty eating food. Guilt as the result of eating is illogical. It just simply signals that you have a poor relationship with food. Eat. Live life. It's a joy of life. People assume that once you need to start losing fat, you need to eat salads, grilled chicken, no red meat, no chocolate bars, no this or that. It's all no and very few yeses then we wonder why we binge when presented for that delectable "no" food. And once it hits our mouth after we give in? We can't stop. The pleasure is too good.

Maybe it's different for other people but that's how it was for me. My life changed quite quickly and easily and, again, it may very well be because I chose to educate myself instead of feeding into nonsensical, mass media-driven garbage that made me uncomfortable with food.

Maybe I don't understand because there are so many people who use psychology as a scapegoat and do not want to be culpable. I held myself responsible for being obese (208lbs @ 5'6") and for eating a lot of food. I used to say, "I can't control myself" but, in actuality, I chose to eat every bite.

Do you think if you go see help that the advice will be any different than mine? That you'll have your hand held and told that you aren't accountable for your actions then put on medication? I highly doubt it but considering that prescribed medication for psychological disorders is normal now then I could be quite wrong.

Love me or hate me, there is a dash of truth to what I say.

You really can't tell people that the solution is so simple, seeing as you have no personal experience with binge eating. If someone went to seek help, the advice WOULD be different from yours. A doctor would take a much more caring approach, and talk it out with you to figure out what else is going on in your life that is causing you to binge eating. \

You don't know what kind of experiences people have had that cause them to binge. I'm sure some people ARE using it as an excuse just like you said, but you shouldn't generalize like that.
  • lisag2007
    lisag2007 Posts: 130
    Options
    I don't have as much trouble as I used too, but anytime chocolate chip cookies are nearby....they are so hard to resist. I think I could eat 15 without blinking an eye. Add me as a friend and we can help each other learn some self control. Good luck to you.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    bump, I have the same problem and need a solution as well.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Never had it before MFP :(
  • njmills1
    njmills1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Terrible advice!!!!! Sorry but eating 2-3 big meals a day is ridiculous!! You actually should be eating 5-6 smaller meals a day. When you are eating bigger, fewer meals you run the risk of putting your body into starvstion mode. Your body gets used to big meals spaced far apart so when it comes time to eat again you are STARVING!!! Then binge happens. I suggest do some of your own research and you are right to not deprived yourself of the things that you love and crave but in moderation.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Therapy (depending on how bad or often the binges are and if you really are ready to address the reasons you binge). Combined with will power to work thru it and change your eating habits.
  • njmills1
    njmills1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I also would suggest that you fill your house with lots of fresh produce and fruits for snacking that you can access quickly. If I am hungry and I want to eat, it usually means NOW, if I have smart, healthy choices on hand in a hurry, thats what I reach for. I'm far from an expert but just thought I would throw that out there! Good luck friends!!!
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It can help to plan your meals the night before, I have bulimia and i'm trying desperately to recover from the crazy big binges and the thing that I've found most effective is planning, keeping myself occupied and if I stick to my meal plan. The more you exercise your strength against this disorder the easier it will get. It could also pay to visit a psychologist because with most eating disorders it's not all about food. I've managed to cut my binging down from once every day eating like 4000-5000 calories to once every 2 or 3 days. Seeing a nutritionist could help aswel because no one on this site knows everything and the advice you're getting on here could be incorrect.
  • ashjonnatp
    Options
    Why don't you do the intelligent and obvious thing and practice moderation so you don't binge? You don't need to be "healthy" all week.

When you eat calories for the day, include into your maconutrients and calories something you've been craving. Problem solved. My diary is open, so I implore you to see that I eat whatever the heck I want. And guess what? I never binge.

Also, how many meals a day are you eating? Maybe you should consider doing 2-3 meals a day instead so that way you have larger, more satisfying meals. I only eat 3 meals a day and dang I love being stuffed! If you check my diary (March 27th), I had 1082 calories (1lb of food) from burgers and a small chocolate bar. Sometimes I'll make a gigantic burrito (that weighs around 3lbs) and eat that. I think it only takes up around 1300 calories or something like that.

rude!!!!!!!!!!! If we were all inteligent when it came to food we wouldnt be on here we all make bad choices this does not make them dumb!! This is a daily struggle for alot!
  • Nucky719
    Nucky719 Posts: 143
    Options
    I wish I had a simple answer but I think it's on a individual basis what it takes for someone to stop. I used to do because I was very unhappy in my life and the food made me feel good, but then I felt bad again afterwards, and so on and so on. Once I made it through that time and things changed for me I did it less and less. I would still do it every so often up until I got on MFP this month. During the last 3 days I have wanted to really bad because of arguing with my bf but I haven't because 1. I don't want to lie on my diary and 2. I don't want to log it on my diary.

I don't have any advice on how to stop but I wish you the best and feel free to friend me if you like. And that goes for anyone else who would like a friend in the same binge boat.
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You SOOOOOO do not understand true Binge Eating. And you are very judgemental....That is like telling an alcholic...it's EASY. Just don't drink. Um...hello?! Very judgemental harsh words....and annoying.

^^ This!!

Or telling someone suffering from anorexia to 'just eat.' Or someone suffering with depression to 'just cheer up!'

Binge eating isn't something I'm able to give advice on - Thankfully it isn't an issue I have. Just wanted to add my two cents. No point in being rude when someone is looking for honest help!
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This thread proves what binge eating does to people. It makes them cranky as hel. It makes you feel bad about yourself so you have to lash out.

Take my advice and exercise, people. You need to release all that pent up... whatever it is.
  • HEATHERB500
    HEATHERB500 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ok I read some but I got tired of the bashing and people who really have no clue. There are several reasons people binge eat and it is individual for everyone. I highly suggest Overeaters anonymous. Once I learned what foods I specifically need to stear clear from I have been better able to control my binges. I still have trouble usually when I have been really stressed. Some people have certain types of food they are more likely to binge on and some people will binge on anything available. Try to keep a diary of the type of foods you eat when you binge. If possible do not keep these foods in your house. Each day try to reaffirm the fact that you are not going to binge today. Pray write sticky notes. If you catch yourself before, durring, or after a binge and this takes practice and willpower, stop and tell yourself to start again right then. Do not give yourself the OK to continue the binge and just start again tomorrow. I had some success changing my habbit over to gum chewing. I also eat a small meal 100-200 cals every 2-3 hours. For me sugar and fatty foods set me off so I stear clear and try to keep them out of the house as much as possible. If it matters I am not a registered dietician or anything but I am a registered Nurse and recovering Binge eater. Some of this stuff sounded hokey to me when I first heard of Overeaters anonymous but when I got real with myself it really has helped. Feel free to add me as a friend and maybe we can help each other.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thank you PeggyWoodson! I don't binge because I feel deprived typically its because I'm stressed or because I have emotional ties to foods and once I start eating unhealthy things I have a hard time stopping.

Start with identifying the binge when it occurs. If you can recognize it when it happens, you can develop a strategy ahead of time so when the urge strikes, you may be able to wave a stop sign.

When the stress or high emotions hit, how about an alternative stress reducer? Hot bath, nap, exercise, calling a friend, shopping, something ANYTHING you can think of to put up a barrier to prevent behavior.

Second, practice self forgiveness when it happens.

There is a documented serotonin release that occurs with binge eaters--it's a lot like taking an anti-depressant. Who wouldn't want a flood of feel good hormones?

Finally, self help groups and a therapist are very helpful for this.