Vegetarians (?) & Venting

Options

Replies

• PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    When I was first a vegetarian I ate just like that. I didn't like veggies at the time and no one was forcing me to eat them. When I became a vegetarian no one b!tched at me because I didn't eat my veggies since It is none of their business :huh:

I wish this was how it would've happened for me. My mom liked to throw it in my face that I was a vegetarian that didn't like veggies. Every time she talked to someone "oh, my daughter is a Vegetarian. But she doesn't eat vegetables" and she'd laugh about it. :grumble:
  • jackiesaurus
    jackiesaurus Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 10 years and I learned early on (when I put on seven pounds) that there's a difference between being a vegetarian and a carbetarian. I know a lot of people - myself included - who are guilty of eating grilled cheese, cheese pizza, macaroni and cheese, french fries, pastas, ice creams/frozen yogurts, pretzels, crackers, cheeze its, etc. because it was the tastiest to eat even though not really so good for you, I justified it that "well i'm not eating meat, so it's okay if I eat this it'll just replace the calories from not eating meat."

Fortunately in my mid-teens I realized veggies are a part of being vegetarian...
  • Was vegan for 8 years, vegetarian for two, and I the only 'animal' I eat is fish. I'm trying to add in healthy meats in to my diet now because soy is bad for my kidney. I still eat a ton of vegetables and fruits. I'm actually quite addicted to them.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I've found that MOST vegetarians are like this. To each their own, but don't go around claiming your diet is healthier if it contains more carbs and packaged foods than mine. And don't expect me to cook for you if you're going to be that picky.

Anyway, I don't think being a vegetarian is the reall issue here. It sounds like she's going to have these problems regardless of whether she's eating meat or not. If she's truly concerned about her weight and health and is willing to do something about it, perhaps you can get her on MFP. Once she sees how many calories, fat, cholesterol are in the foods she's eating (make sure her account is setup to show these) she might make better choices.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    When I was first a vegetarian I ate just like that. I didn't like veggies at the time and no one was forcing me to eat them. When I became a vegetarian no one b!tched at me because I didn't eat my veggies since It is none of their business :huh:

I wish this was how it would've happened for me. My mom liked to throw it in my face that I was a vegetarian that didn't like veggies. Every time she talked to someone "oh, my daughter is a Vegetarian. But she doesn't eat vegetables" and she'd laugh about it. :grumble:

Man thats just rude!! My family was more concerned that I wasn't eating meat then cared about my veggie intake xD For a long time the only veggies I would eat was green beans and potatoes!

Eventually I just had to figure it out on my own what I liked and how to eat healthier. People nagging at me wouldn't help much.

I see people who don't eat veggies all the time. SO many people go days without a single veggie in their tummy. And its their decision. Giving up meat really shouldn't call for extra judgement IMO
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she doesn't want to listen to you or anyone else. I would leave it alone, you obviously haven't changed her mind one bit and you won't. She has to come to this conclusion on her own.
  • StarvingKyy
    StarvingKyy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Well I'm vegetarian and I'm totally in yoru friends boat. I don't eat many vegetables and I eat a lot of sugary foods.

But I do it because I'm against animal curelty. It was never a health choice.

If i were to eat a piece of meat I'd feel guilty for eating a dead animal, not guilty for being "unhealthy".

I think it's nice that you're concerned about your friend but I honestly think you should leave her food preferences to be her desicion and not yours. It good that you want to be a good friend and want her to be healthy, but all of the desicions that she makes concerning her food are up to her.
  • elsalily
    elsalily Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian (but don't eat that much fish so call myself a vegetarian) and I got to say that that doesn't necessaraily mean eating more vegetables for me, since there are a few I like the taste of. Sure I eat those, and I don't eat as unheathily as your sister in law but I just want to point out that being a vegetarian just means that you don't want to eat meat. Period. It doesn't mean you are supposed to eat more vegetables than everyone else. Now some vegetarians choose healthier food options, some don't. That really depends on what they like and their approach towards health.
    The part I agree on with you is that if she calls what she is doing a healthy diet, then she's wrong. But if she doesn't eat meat she's a vegetarian (barring the partial animal gelatin as other posters said).
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Well I'm vegetarian and I'm totally in yoru friends boat. I don't eat many vegetables and I eat a lot of sugary foods.

From your profile:

My Inspirations
    Size 0
    Weighing 112lbs

You may not want judgment, but you realize you're on a site for healthy nutrition right?
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Not all vegetarians eat tons of fruits and veggies. Sadly, my kids are like that.

But, you may not be seeing the whole picture. When I'm invited out, particularly to eat at someone's home, I try to make do with side dishes, and the like, in an effort not to inconvenience my host too much. No one should think that those simple diet choices are all I make on a daily basis.

Also, you may not think of beans as a 'vegetable' per se, but they have a load of phytochemicals, fiber, and protein. As a near-vegan, I eat mostly plants--some fresh and whole, and others incorporated into dishes. Even something like marinara sauce is really a 'vegetable' when you think of it. If you think of the major healthy food groups for vegetarians, they tend to fit into one of these categories: veggies, fruit, grains, legumes, nuts.

I'm not defending a 'junk food' vegetarian diet. Anyone trying to survive on French fries, chips, white bread, margarine, gumdrops, oreos and beer may be vegetarian, but isn't doing herself any favors.

^^ This
    Perfectly worded my friend!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Ok. So I've got a family member that SWEARS she is a vegetarian now.... Only problem is... She doesn't even eat vegetables!?!?!

Seriously? I told her I was making chicken tacos for the rest of the family (they are coming for a visit) and what would she like to have on hand for HER to eat? She says "Buy a can of beans. I'm going to have beans, cheese, and some lettuce as a taco."
    Is this even a meal? I'm NOT a vegetarian. I'm a meat eater, so I honestly have no clue.

While my cupboards are full of dried beans, rice, oatmeal, whole wheat pastas, etc. My fridge is stocked with fresh fruits, veggies, dairy, eggs, and the like & yes. My freezer has meats and frozen veggies.
    I know that HER cupboards are full of hostess snack cakes, High sugar cereals (think Fruit Loops, & Captain Crunch) & white bread. Her blender is full of snack size candy bars. The freezer has tater tots, hash browns, toaster waffles, & 4 different half gallon flavors of Ice Cream. The fridge is cheese, corn tortillas, 4 things of mayo, chocolate milk, and Sunny-D.
    Now, I already said I'm not vegetarian, but I'm also not completely stupid. She's been eating this way (what she calls her "Healthy Diet") since 2008 when a family member died from heart disease she swears was caused by consumption of meats.
    I've TRIED talking to her (this isn't healthy for you. Just LOOK at all the chemicals!!). I've tried setting a good example of things she might like to try (took her to a vegan restaurant- which I thought was actually pretty yummy) she refused to try ANYTHING! At "normal" restaurants ordering something colorful that has one of every food group, taking her shopping with me and reading the labels....
    I'm at a loss as to what to DO with her. I'm afraid for her health (she has been sick more in the last 4 years than the rest of the 11 years I've known her), her cholesterol is through the ROOF (and she can't figure out why) and the Dr. is threatening drug therapy, she's gained just shy of 20lbs from the beginning of last summer to now.
    I can't approach her eating habits directly (I've tried). She gets defensive and says that I'm "Picking on her because I don't like vegetarians" <-- NOT true.
    I try to buy good food for her house(telling her it's for me & my kids, but making sure there will be "left overs") & she gives it away when we leave. Even the KIDS have tried talking to her (Hey, can we have veggies today instead of chocolates?) and she acts like they don't know what they're talking about. Her brother (my husband & her favorite sibling) has tried talking to her about it. Her sisters. Her mother. Her friends.
    I am afraid that I may just scream at her the next time she says she's a vegetarian now. HOW can you be a vegetarian if you REFUSE to even EAT Vegetables?!?!?!?!?!

Ok. My rant is done. Thanks for "listening". Any helpful suggestions?

Just give her to eat what she has requested, you asked, she answered, I don't really think she wants a lecture to be honest.

:)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

From your profile:

My Inspirations
    Size 0
    Weighing 112lbs

You may not want judgment, but you realize you're on a site for healthy nutrition right?

Eh my goal weight is around there and I eat sugar foods too. Everyone has their own goals and way to get there
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    My sister was a vegetarian and vegan for a total of about 15 years. In that time she easily put on well over 100lbs. So much for a healthy vegetarian lifestyle.

I consume way more vegtables and natural foods than any vegetarian I've ever known, and that's on a low carb diet.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    This happens to a lot of first time vegetarians...I haven't ate meat in 13 years and when I stopped (for no particular reason) I did the same. You go from eating meat, potatoes and pasta to potatoes and pasta. I wasn't even a bean fan....took me many years to stomach tofu! Now with that said I blew up like a balloon...it really is a learning process (just like starting out a new exercise routine) you have to learn your body and what works best for you!

Go ahead and let her know how you feel....because you care about her well being! It may go in one ear and out the other but maybe it will eventually sink in, maybe suggest making a game out of it like trying a new vegggie every week. We make mistakes so we can learn from them. :)
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    She's a junk food vegetarian. Invite her over to dinner sometimes and incorporate vegetables into the dishes you prepare. Make a pasta primavera with whole grain pasta and seasonal veggies. Make the bean tacos, but finely chop red or green bell peppers into it. Many people who don't like vegetables just haven't had them prepared in a way that they like. People who are adverse to broccoli probably haven't had it roasted with olive oil and garlic. Just try various ways to incorporate veggies into things that she likes. If she questions it, say that your kids like it that way.
  • insyweensy
    insyweensy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to put out there that there are some vegetarians out there (myself and my husband included) who eat plenty of fruits and veggies. I also know many omnivores who eat lots of veggies as well. I think how many vegetables has more to do with your overall food choices than whether or not you eat meat.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were just talking about this! We think there should be a new term for people who simply don't eat meat or very many vegetables.

To me, vegetarian implies 'healthy' and a diet high in processed foods certainly isn't that. Oh, and since it does have vege in the name, it also implies that you actually eat veggies.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

From your profile:

My Inspirations
    Size 0
    Weighing 112lbs

Eh my goal weight is around there and I eat sugar foods too. Everyone has their own goals and way to get there

And my current size is right there. There is nothing unhealthy about it. I've been in a size zero for years, since I stopped wearing childrens in middle school. I would have to pack on some serious muscle (or fat, or both) to move up a pants size. I've been working on adding that muscle, but to move up a pants size would take some serious effort and time.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My sister was a vegetarian and vegan for a total of about 15 years. In that time she easily put on well over 100lbs. So much for a healthy vegetarian lifestyle.

Yeah unfortunately this happens a lot - apparently some vegetarians have the impression that portion control doesn't matter if you eat mostly veggies.

I have a coworker who is vegetarian right now and he was surprised to have gained weight. Well, turns out he was eating tons of avocado. Healthy, yes. Low calorie? Not so much!
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Anyone can have an unheathy diet no matter the diet.