Is Oatmeal bad for the weight?

Options
124»

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    i dont eat oats for two reasons, one is because i have celiac and theres a huge potential fo cross contamination and its ridiculously expensive for gluten free oats. and the other reason is because i dont eat any grain products as they dont react well with my body, as in, if i eat them i get fat. lol

I don't think they make you fat. May cause immune response and inflammation but wouldn't make you fat per se. You still need excess calories to make you fat.

yeah not sure. i elminated all grains. eating same calories, eating same pattern, i used to be obese, now im skinny. was it 40 lbs of bloat from celiacs or do the grains really contribute to weight gain? i dont know and there are a million threads on here of people agruing this to death. i mean not the celiac part but the debate of a calorie is a calorie vs different foods effects on the body and weight gain. in my case, i have a hormonal autoimmune resoponse to certain foods and gain weight. when i ate them i got fat and now that i dont im skinny. well, im in the "normal range" for my height as far as BMI goes so yay! lol

Unless you dutifully measured calories Pre grain elimination hard to tell for sure. You more likely ate less removing the grains.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    i dont eat oats for two reasons, one is because i have celiac and theres a huge potential fo cross contamination and its ridiculously expensive for gluten free oats. and the other reason is because i dont eat any grain products as they dont react well with my body, as in, if i eat them i get fat. lol

I don't think they make you fat. May cause immune response and inflammation but wouldn't make you fat per se. You still need excess calories to make you fat.

yeah not sure. i elminated all grains. eating same calories, eating same pattern, i used to be obese, now im skinny. was it 40 lbs of bloat from celiacs or do the grains really contribute to weight gain? i dont know and there are a million threads on here of people agruing this to death. i mean not the celiac part but the debate of a calorie is a calorie vs different foods effects on the body and weight gain. in my case, i have a hormonal autoimmune resoponse to certain foods and gain weight. when i ate them i got fat and now that i dont im skinny. well, im in the "normal range" for my height as far as BMI goes so yay! lol

Unless you dutifully measured calories Pre grain elimination hard to tell for sure. You more likely ate less removing the grains.

riiight cuz i was confused when i said what i was doing before eliminating grains. thank goodness you can tell me what i was doing because i obviously have no clue. and dieting religiously and counting every morsel of food i put in my body certainly couldnt be right because i wasnt losing. i mean really??? you are telling me i dont know how much i was eating??? come on now. i said i eat the same ammount of DIFFERENT foods. why is that so hard to understand?? i just dont get it. enjoy the oatmeal
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Why would somebody eat less by removing grains? Why not just replace them with something else?
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options

Why would somebody eat less by removing grains? Why not just replace them with something else?

Because yummy stuff has grains. Cakes, donuts, crackers, pies, pop tarts, etc, etc. While chicken or other
    grain free food is all well and good, it's not really a binge type food. The binge worthy chicken...has grains.

Anywho, totally off topic really.
    ---
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Because yummy stuff has grains. Cakes, donuts, crackers, pies, pop tarts, etc, etc. While chicken or other
    grain free food is all well and good, it's not really a binge type food. The binge worthy chicken...has grains.

Anywho, totally off topic really.
    ---

This sort of implies that our body's energy demands have little to do with our eating habits, but if that were the case, then why do people tend to hover around certain set body weights? That would imply there is some kind of compensatory system in place to make sure the person's intake and expenditure are being regulated. It seems odd that simply removing grain products would throw this whole system out of whack because the food is yummy.