Starving two hours after breakfast

Options
So this past week I have noticed that roughly two-two and a half hours after breakfast I am starving! Not just a little hungry but starving! I am doing everything the same as always, but have been on a bit of a plateau lately. I am thinking maybe I need to up my calories a bit. I am at 1200 now. Any suggestions or anyone else have this same problem? Thanks everyone :)

Replies

• gadzukks
    gadzukks Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    add some healthy fats to your breakfast, like fish oil.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    What are you eating for breakfast?
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    Every now and then I'll have the same problem. I usually blame it on my cycle. I eat egg whites most mornings, but when that doesn't seem to fill me up I have some oatmeal (just plain with a dash of cinnamon and brown sugar, not the prepackaged stuff with all the extra sugars).
  • mommymegz
    mommymegz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Maybe add some fiber too. Fiber always fills me up so I try to eat plenty in the mornings and then I usually eat a Fiber One bar and hour before bed!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, I have basically 6 semi planned meals a day because my body says to eat every 2 - 3 hours. I'm comfortable with that and it works for me. I call myself a grazer, my husband calls me a hobbit.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    eat more protein at breakfast!! and yes, up your calories in general!
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I find that protein works to keep me satisfied until my next meal
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    For most people that are on 1200 cals, it is not the best intake for them, most chose a weekly weight loss goal that is too aggressive. Here is a guide for setting weekly deficits, and on top of this when you workout you should eat those calories back. So if you are on 1200 cals and burn 300, you should eat 1500 for the day.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • rcillo219
    rcillo219 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Mornings that I have to be in work early (7 am) I eat cereal. Usually fiber one 80 or cheerios. Mornings I have to be in later and have time to make breakfast is usually 3 egg whites, a slice of wheat toast with either low fat cream cheese or a natural fruit spread. My late mornings I usually stay full longer. I am thinking of adding a slice of toast with my cereal. Thoughts?
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I upped from 1200 to 1400. That helped me be less hungry. I also was giving my body more fuel and started losing more.:smile:
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Maybe add some more protien and or fiber. I love cheerio's but, they never keep me feeling full.

Increasing your calories might be a good idea overall. 1200 is not a lot of calories.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Mornings that I have to be in work early (7 am) I eat cereal. Usually fiber one 80 or cheerios. Mornings I have to be in later and have time to make breakfast is usually 3 egg whites, a slice of wheat toast with either low fat cream cheese or a natural fruit spread. My late mornings I usually stay full longer. I am thinking of adding a slice of toast with my cereal. Thoughts?

Try adding some protein. How about a hardboiled egg? You can have them ready to go in the fridge.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This is why God inverted second breakfast.
  • mommy2girlies
    mommy2girlies Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm usually up and eating about 6:30-7, I've noticed if I eat a little peanut butter with breakfast it keeps me full until lunch (11:30-1ish, depending on when kids get hungry) if I eat oatmeal Im usually hungry about 2 hours after breakfast.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    try oatmeal instead of cereal... i find when i have cereal i am too starving in less then 2 hrs... but i now make my oatmeal the night before and measure it out into containers for the next few days. Just put a dash of milk into it to thin it out and microwave it.. all is good .
  • meghan1207
    meghan1207 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be better off adding an apple, or an apple with some peanut/almond/cashew butter- toast is going to just burn off super fast, leaving you hungry. You need fiber, fat, protein.

Or just bring the apple and peanut/almond butter and eat it when you get hungry two hours later- nothing wrong with spreading it out!

Or do oatmeal instead of cheerios- the fiber will make you feel better much longer.
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    I upped from 1200 to 1600 cals. I just make sure I get in at least 300 exercise calories so I net at 1300 to lose 1 lb a week. And I eat my first snack 2 hours after breakfast, and another 2 hours after lunch.
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I eat a cup of oatmeal for breakfast also, just plain with some cinnamon. I am also really hungry like 1-2 hours after breakfast. I really think this is probably due to being thirsty. I don't drink water all night, then wake up and drink tea which is a diuretic. It makes sense to me, but of course I just never want to drink water that much in the morning. Usually drink it in the afternoon and evening mostly. So I just added a mid morning snack of an apple to get me through.
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I also have a calorie goal in the 1200s but I do eat back around half of my exercise calories earned but do not go over 1500 calories a day. I do also eat 6 small meals a day, every 3 hours which include lots of protein and I am rarely hungry. I start my day with a Breakstone 100 Calorie Cottage Double, around 6:30 am and have oatmeal with apple slices and a cup of green tea at work around 9:30 am. That along with water seems to keep me satiated until lunch at 12:30 pm. I suggest you increase your water intake also, since thirst can be read as hunger sometimes. I drink a gallon daily...and that keep me full and running back and forth to the bathroom, which adds to my exercise calories LOL!
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    This is why God inverted second breakfast.

I actually have a second breakfast, much like the OP, I eat at 530am (bowl of cereal, almond milk), then eat again around 9-930 - usually a peice of toast with peanut butter. That keeps me full until lunch.