Dieting and Indigestion/Gallbladder issues

Options
Just a quick question:

Has anyone noticed an increase in indigestion since they have been dieting? You would think it would get better since I've cut out all of the fatty, greasy, fried foods. It's still the same. Today I am hurting in my upper abdomen, no relief in site and I take Nexium on a daily basis. I wonder if it's not a gall bladder issue. Any suggestions? :sad:

Replies

• Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I its more then likely your gallbladder, I was having the same issues but certain foods would trigger really bad pain attacks. I had it removed about 2 months ago.. feel sooo much better now. Check it out though...
  • bh34
    bh34 Posts: 94
    Options
    I its more then likely your gallbladder, I was having the same issues but certain foods would trigger really bad pain attacks. I had it removed about 2 months ago.. feel sooo much better now. Check it out though...

I had an upper endoscopy done in August 2008 when I was having the same type of pain only milder, and they said everything looked fine. Would they not have found gallstones then, if that's what the problem was?
  • anthrochix
    anthrochix Posts: 264
    Options
    gallstones are usually found via an ultrasound.

good luck!
  • mizzoucheer
    mizzoucheer Posts: 23
    Options
    If it is your gallbladder the pain would be focused more on your upper right side. And, it would be triggered primarily when you eat fattier foods (maybe things that you used to eat just fine, but now your body is used to getting healthier fuel so the old normal foods send it into a bit of shock). Hope this helps. And if still in doubt you should request that they do an ultrasound, as that is generally how they will find gallstones.
  • beckythebunny122
    beckythebunny122 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but if your doctor thought it was important enough to test when the pain was less, then wouldn't it be a good idea to get it re-checked when it's worse?
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    The endoscopy is generally to check for damage to the esophagus, generally from acid reflux. That was what they thought I had, until they did the endoscopy and found that my esophagus was clear. Then they finally did an ultrasound and found large stones in my gallbladder. I had it removed, and have had few problems since!
  • bh34
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but if your doctor thought it was important enough to test when the pain was less, then wouldn't it be a good idea to get it re-checked when it's worse?

I wanted to have the endoscopy done because I was having really bad acid reflux at the time. Bad enough where I would regurgitate my food. (Sorry TMI). I failed to mention that when they didn't find anything via endoscopy, they DID an ultrasound the next day, and said everything looked okay. I just don't understand why I'm still hurting to this day, even though I've been on medicine. :cry:
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    I had an upper endoscopy, too, and that won't see gallbladder issues. Are you having pain during/after eating? That is a sign of gallbladder problems. I never knew that, and thought it was just my stomach. My pain wasn't on one side or the other. It was just there. I would go to the doc and ask about it, because you don't want to let it go too far in case it is! because I ended up in the emergency room with the worst pain I'd ever felt in my life and was admitted right then and there and had surgery a few hours later, because it was full of stones and really really badly infected!! NO FUN
  • bh34
    Options
    I had an upper endoscopy, too, and that won't see gallbladder issues. Are you having pain during/after eating? That is a sign of gallbladder problems. I never knew that, and thought it was just my stomach. My pain wasn't on one side or the other. It was just there. I would go to the doc and ask about it, because you don't want to let it go too far in case it is! because I ended up in the emergency room with the worst pain I'd ever felt in my life and was admitted right then and there and had surgery a few hours later, because it was full of stones and really really badly infected!! NO FUN

I have pain during AND after eating. Like right now, I feel hungry, but don't feel like eating because I'm hurting so bad.
  • jlhcrh3
    Options

I have pain during AND after eating. Like right now, I feel hungry, but don't feel like eating because I'm hurting so bad.

If I were you, I'd go back and ask them to look again. It could be something else, but it also sounds a lot like gallbladder!
  • bh34
    Options

If I were you, I'd go back and ask them to look again. It could be something else, but it also sounds a lot like gallbladder!

What else could it be? I'm just miserable. Sorry for all of the whining!!!! :sad:
  • jlhcrh3
    Options

What else could it be? I'm just miserable. Sorry for all of the whining!!!! :sad:

Is your pain constant right now? When mine got really bad I had constant stomach pains that were so bad there was no comfortable position, and I couldn't eat because I felt really nauseous.
  • bh34
    Options

Is your pain constant right now? When mine got really bad I had constant stomach pains that were so bad there was no comfortable position, and I couldn't eat because I felt really nauseous.

It was constant yesterday. Got a little better during the evening and it's been constant ever since I woke up this morning. I'm hurting sooo bad.
  • bh34
    Options
    Also forgot to mention, at one time, I was on 2 Zantac and 2 Prevacid a day. That was under a doctor's supervision.
  • jlhcrh3
    Options

It was constant yesterday. Got a little better during the evening and it's been constant ever since I woke up this morning. I'm hurting sooo bad.

If it's hurting that bad, I would go to the doctor. Actually, I would go to the ER, but that's my opinion after what happened to me! My pain started out not being constant, but then the day after that it was and I dealt with it for 2 1/2 days because I thought if I went to the doctor they would tell me it was gas or something! So then I finally decided I couldn't stand it anymore and I am so glad we chose the ER over the doctor!!
  • jlhcrh3
    Options
    Also forgot to mention, at one time, I was on 2 Zantac and 2 Prevacid a day. That was under a doctor's supervision.
    I also had bad acid reflux. I was on Prevacid. Since my gallbladder's out, I don't take it anymore because I don't need it. but that's me...
  • bh34
    Options

If it's hurting that bad, I would go to the doctor. Actually, I would go to the ER, but that's my opinion after what happened to me! My pain started out not being constant, but then the day after that it was and I dealt with it for 2 1/2 days because I thought if I went to the doctor they would tell me it was gas or something! So then I finally decided I couldn't stand it anymore and I am so glad we chose the ER over the doctor!!

I'm like you, I don't want to feel like an idiot, when I go to the ER and they say they can't find anything wrong and it's gas. I may try and wait it out. If it gets much worse or I actually do start throwing up, then I will go to the ER.
  • jlhcrh3
    Options

I'm like you, I don't want to feel like an idiot, when I go to the ER and they say they can't find anything wrong and it's gas. I may try and wait it out. If it gets much worse or I actually do start throwing up, then I will go to the ER.

Seriously, you may want to consider going to one of the two. Because that was the worst 2 1/2 days of my life! and if it is your gallbladder, if you wait too long the stones can actually leave your gallbladder and get into other organs and cause many other BAD problems!! and if it's infected, you'll have to have a drain coming out of your side (which SUCKS, especially when they take it out!!) I never threw up until I was in teh ER and they gave me morphine and the anti-nausea stuff at once...but I felt much better after!* I wouldn't wait too long if I were you...

*mostly due to meds..lol
  • jlhcrh3
    Options
    Keep us updated, whichever way you decide to go!
  • bh34
    Options
    Keep us updated, whichever way you decide to go!

I certainly will. Thanks for all of your advice. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!