Favorite Movies?

Replies

• memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    I have heard so many good things about Grand Torino but I have not seen it yet. Can someone tell me what it's about (without giving too much away) so I can decide if I want to see it or not. I love Clint Eastwood.

Memaw

"Walt Kowalski is a widower who holds onto his prejudices despite the changes in his Michigan neighborhood and the world around him. Kowalski is a grumpy, tough-minded, unhappy an old man, who can't get along with either his kids or his neighbors, a Korean War veteran whose prize possession is a 1972 Gran Torino he keeps in mint condition."

It's a REALLY good movie.. if you don't mind all the racial slurs he uses...

one of my friends father's was an Admiral in the Navy... he's still alive and served in WWII. He's old enough to be my friends grandfather. Which is weird to think. He still uses the word "jap" when he tells his stories. Which I guess isn't all that funny, but he doesn't know any better. My wife is Japanese and he loves her to death, so you know, whatever. Its just a word. Reminds me of that movie though.
    Old habits die hard. Once people are set in thier ways, there is really no changing them. My dad used all those "politically incorrect" terms too, but I really don't think he meant anything by it, they were just adjectives to him.
  • ronkswife2000
    ronkswife2000 Posts: 176
    Everyone says that The Notebook is great but I still haven't seen it :grumble:

My favorites are:

How to Lose a guy in 10 days
    Fever Pitch
    Fast and Furious
    Steel Magnolias

I love anything except for horror and scifi crap :noway:
  • Brittany1979
    Brittany1979 Posts: 381 Member
    All the Karate Kids except the fourth one because I haven't watched it yet, Adventures In Babysitting, The Outsiders (yeah I like a lot of 80s movies), *kitten* Out Of Carolina, Flicka...and more. :smile:
  • sinisme
    sinisme Posts: 148 Member
    I have heard so many good things about Grand Torino but I have not seen it yet. Can someone tell me what it's about (without giving too much away) so I can decide if I want to see it or not. I love Clint Eastwood.

Memaw

"Walt Kowalski is a widower who holds onto his prejudices despite the changes in his Michigan neighborhood and the world around him. Kowalski is a grumpy, tough-minded, unhappy an old man, who can't get along with either his kids or his neighbors, a Korean War veteran whose prize possession is a 1972 Gran Torino he keeps in mint condition."

one of my friends father's was an Admiral in the Navy... he's still alive and served in WWII. He's old enough to be my friends grandfather. Which is weird to think. He still uses the word "jap" when he tells his stories. Which I guess isn't all that funny, but he doesn't know any better. My wife is Japanese and he loves her to death, so you know, whatever. Its just a word. Reminds me of that movie though.
    Old habits die hard. Once people are set in thier ways, there is really no changing them. My dad used all those "politically incorrect" terms too, but I really don't think he meant anything by it, they were just adjectives to him.

eh, it wasn't such a big deal back then... using those words. .. now everything is offensive to everyone.
    *shrugs*
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768

Memaw

eh, it wasn't such a big deal back then... using those words. .. now everything is offensive to everyone.
    *shrugs*

I would have to agree. I think words can obviously be meant to hurt, or to poke fun or to be serious.
    You know, its just like anything, we say things outta anger, spite or just for a laugh. Words are only misused when used outta disrespect. Believe me, if everyone at my job took everything serious... everyone would be fired or pending allegations for sexual harrassment and EO charges, haha.
    Its a pretty simple lesson. Not everyone likes you. You can't force people to get along. But you can suck it up, be adult, and work together or whatever the situation is. Get over it.

back on topic of the movies. For instance.... Pulp Fiction gets nominated for all kinds of awards. Hailed a masterpiece. But then Gran Torino hurt some people's feelers? Come on. Thats a tad bit ridiculous. You know, Eastwood makes Letters from Iwo Jima and was blasted by Spike Lee for a lack of African Americans. Hey, sorry man, check your history books. There was a lack of African Americans during the first wave of Marine Infantry on that Island. What, he's supposed to rewrite history just to make everyone happy. Then Spike Lee does Miracle At St Anna or whatever. Complete work of fiction, with an all black-african Army unit (that didn't exist) just to set the record straight. I mean, why not do a movie about the Tuskegee Airmen (already been done). That made me laugh.
  • AllenMom4
    AllenMom4 Posts: 294 Member
    Of course -
    Dirty Dancing
    Grease
    Underworld(All of them)
    Blood and Chocalte
    Jeepers Creepers
    Transformers
    Bride Wars
    Hell Boy 1 and 2
    Forgetting Sarah Marshall
    Definatly Maybe
    Wanted
    The Host
    Million Dollar Baby
    The notebook
    Lord of the Rings(All)
    Titanic
    Fever Pitch
    Fast and Furious
    Steel Magnolias
    Pearl Harbor

Im sure theres alot more. I love movies, so Im sure I will be back
  • Honeybunn
    Honeybunn Posts: 39
    My favorite movie of all time is "Natural Born Killers". Everyone always gives me that blank, vacant stare when I say it's the best love story ever.
  • memaw66
    Everyone says that The Notebook is great but I still haven't seen it :grumble:

My favorites are:

Fever Pitch
    Fast and Furious
    Steel Magnolias

I love anything except for horror and scifi crap :noway:
    The Notebook is EXCELLENT! Especially if you like love stories. I relate to it because it reminds me of my parents' love for one another. Man I miss them!
  • sinisme
    Pulp Fiction was a pretty good movie, although not better than Gran Torino!!! I saw Miracle at St Anna, It was just okay for me.
  • xsargex
    Pulp Fiction was a pretty good movie, although not better than Gran Torino!!! I saw Miracle at St Anna, It was just okay for me.

I wouldn't necessarily compare the two, but discounting a movie because of its language, to me is just a bit oppressive, from any standpoint.

Miracle at St Anna was just a big pile, of steamy, nut-filled crap. The only redeeming quality was seeing the credits and walking outta the theatre.
  • memaw66

I wouldn't necessarily compare the two, but discounting a movie because of its language, to me is just a bit oppressive, from any standpoint.

Miracle at St Anna was just a big pile, of steamy, nut-filled crap. The only redeeming quality was seeing the credits and walking outta the theatre.
    Ha ha, don't hold back on your feelings sarge!
  • sinisme

Ha ha, don't hold back on your feelings sarge!

LMAO.. yes.. tell us how you really feel!
    But I do agree with you... :bigsmile:
  • xsargex
    haha, hey I have no problem in that category.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    I'm a Kill Bill fan! whistling.gif
  • xsargex

i think everyone expected this.... self-proclaimed "weird" girl as you put it.
  • TamTastic

I'm a freak, I tell ya!!

Hey, any movie where a woman kicks butt wearing a jump suit reminiscent of Bruce Lee in Game of Death is just COOL! Sorry!! :glasses: :tongue:
  • memaw66

I'm a freak, I tell ya!!

Hey, any movie where a woman kicks butt wearing a jump suit reminiscent of Bruce Lee in Game of Death is just COOL! Sorry!! :glasses: :tongue:
    Tam I was with you until the jumpsuit thing! LOL
  • xsargex

I'm a freak, I tell ya!!

haha, the fact that you made the distinction between the two movies, means you rule more than I do.
  • TamTastic

I'm a freak, I tell ya!!

haha, the fact that you made the distinction between the two movies, means you rule more than I do.
    There there, not everyone can be a freak like me!! :wink: :laugh:
  • TamTastic
    Ta Da! Tarantino did it on purpose!! :wink:

Kill Bill
    kill-bill-sequels.jpg

Game of Death
    130676498_c1eea9778f_o.jpg
This discussion has been closed.