Is running bad for you?

Options
I have started running and I really like it. It is free. It is out my door. It is fresh air. It is calories burned. It is also mental clarity that I am enjoying.

My crossfit addicted friend said that I shouldn't run because running is bad for my body. I have heard other people mention this vaguely as well but not had a real understanding of why. I have good running shoes.

Is running bad for me?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It was REALLY bad for me....It made my body drop 60lbs in extra weight, made my heart and lungs work harder and get stronger, turned my flabby legs into legs with actual visible muscle definition, used up pairs and pairs of expensive running shoes over the years, not to mention all the beautifull places and scenery I RAN past....:sad:

Oh, and it's bad for the environment too, cause I go through tons of sweaty laundry......:grumble:

It's addictive, its healthy, its fun - go and enjoy!!
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    LOL :drinker:

Please get to explain specifically how it's bad for you.

It does not wreck your knees. If you are female, it does not make your lady junk fall out.
  • btmadison
    btmadison Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say crossfit is bad for you too and causes lots of injuries in people. LOL
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Running is hard on the body, but not necessary bad for you! Especially if you run with good form. If you're not hurting, you're probably fine!

Edit - I write english good. Doh!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Short answer is no.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    You should tell your friend crossfit is bad for you.
    http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/08/marine_crossfit_081608w/

Humans have been running, well since we've been humans.
  • HIITTheChallenge
    HIITTheChallenge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Running is not bad for you just make sure you get a good pair of running shoes. You can get your feet analyzed at a running store and they can help you find the right pair. I got shin splints when I had a bad pair of shoes, but just listen to your body and make sure you rest when you need to that way you can avoid injuries. It is really good at making people feel happy too!
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I was told the same thing that running is bad for you.
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It was REALLY bad for me....It made my body drop 60lbs in extra weight, made my heart and lungs work harder and get stronger, turned my flabby legs into legs with actual visible muscle definition, used up pairs and pairs of expensive running shoes over the years, not to mention all the beautifull places and scenery I RAN past....:sad:

Oh, and it's bad for the environment too, cause I go through tons of sweaty laundry......:grumble:

Love this!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    yesnoyesnoyesnoyesnoyesnoyesnoyesno
  • OccupyFitness
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the supportive responses.

My body does feel great. I do have excellent shoes from a running store that did an assessment on my feet and walk.

I am going to keep running and feeling good.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    well, it can be rough on the knees, in particular, but that does not apply to everyone.
  • rachelelizabeth88
    rachelelizabeth88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I recently heard that too... the person who told me (because I'm a runner) said it has to do with the impact it has on your spine. The only problem I have with running is that it can delay some "women stuff" lol but other than that I think it's good for you :)
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. Well lol, If running is bad for you then I must be screwed. :l
    Anyway, like the above poster said, it's not bad for you.. It can be hard on the body though.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Running is hard on the body, but not necessary bad for you! Especially if you run with good form. If you're not hurting, you're probably fine!

What is good form? Please be specific I am A) a little slow & B) need a LOT of help!! :happy:
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Short answer is no.

Agree.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options

^^^ What she said!
    Perfectly....:happy:
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the supportive responses.

My body does feel great. I do have excellent shoes from a running store that did an assessment on my feet and walk.

I am going to keep running and feeling good.

... Happy Trails.... :smile:
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

What is good form? Please be specific I am A) a little slow & B) need a LOT of help!! :happy:

Most coaches will say to visualize yourself "running tall" look at the horizon not down at your feet or up into the air.

This will put you in a good position so that the rest of your body falls into place.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    That depends...does your stomach slap your knees??? Then you'll probably hurt yourself at first! LOL! I don't think it's bad for you. Just heed the other posters' messages!