Is running bad for you?

Options

Replies

• Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It was REALLY bad for me....It made my body drop 60lbs in extra weight, made my heart and lungs work harder and get stronger, turned my flabby legs into legs with actual visible muscle definition, used up pairs and pairs of expensive running shoes over the years, not to mention all the beautifull places and scenery I RAN past....:sad:

Oh, and it's bad for the environment too, cause I go through tons of sweaty laundry......:grumble:

It's addictive, its healthy, its fun - go and enjoy!!

LOVE!
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    So wait, are you telling me that a someone told you an activity that not only humans, but animals as well, have done for millions of years is bad for you? Interesting.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    What is good form? Please be specific I am A) a little slow & B) need a LOT of help!! :happy:
    Google "Good Form Running"
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I have started running and I really like it. It is free. It is out my door. It is fresh air. It is calories burned. It is also mental clarity that I am enjoying.

My crossfit addicted friend said that I shouldn't run because running is bad for my body. I have heard other people mention this vaguely as well but not had a real understanding of why. I have good running shoes.

Is running bad for me?

So bad I want to do it everyday, it's like crack man!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    How could it be bad for you? Humans have been running since the beginning of humans.
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    My profile pic explains how I feel about it. Once your body adapts it's quite soothing as you seem to have found out. Enjoy yourself.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Running is part of the Crossfit WOD pretty often from what I know about it. It sounds like your friend doesn't have a clue.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    "Running is bad for you" is a myth. Being obese is bad for you. Having no fitness is bad for you. Running is great physically and psychologically. There are overuse injuries for sure but smart training can eliminate those. Oh and my chiropracter is a super cross fit fanatic. He competes in the Cross Fit games etc and he has been injured as often if not more often than me in my marathon running so don't let it deter you when people talk out of their butts.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    How could it be bad for you? Humans have been running since the beginning of humans.

Some would argue that it is running that MADE us Humans. Without running we starved. Humans hunted by injuring an animal, then running it to death. In some parts of the world this is still how we hunt. Humans are known for our endurance and it's why we have big butt muscles--for running upright.

Running is one of the very best weight-bearing activities, which is especially important for women to maintain strong bone density. The myth that it's bad for one's knees has been pretty much debunked. Our knees are very much use-it-or-lose-it body parts.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    No...think for yourself, if it feels good for your body keep running...always have good form...good shoes...runners world dot com is a great place to go for info on running....now go out and run like the wind bullseye...
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    No...think for yourself, if it feels good for your body keep running...always have good form...good shoes...runners world dot com is a great place to go for info on running....now go out and run like the wind bullseye...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have started running and I really like it. It is free. It is out my door. It is fresh air. It is calories burned. It is also mental clarity that I am enjoying.

My crossfit addicted friend said that I shouldn't run because running is bad for my body. I have heard other people mention this vaguely as well but not had a real understanding of why. I have good running shoes.

Is running bad for me?

No. Never listen to Crossfit people.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Running/sprints are a regular feature of CrossFit.

I'd just avoid talking fitness with this friend. I assume they've joined a class and is getting bad information from some passionate individual. You'd have to add 'in excess' for the statement to be true, and that could be said about anything.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    For me running is very painful at my weight (back and knee pain) but I hope to get really into it once I get lighter. I mainly just walk fast at an incline now until I can run. But no running is not bad for you, unless you are extremely heavy, in which it can cause stress pain in the legs.
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Joints. Not the best for them.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    It's bad for my wallet, I'll tell ya that. I keep spending money on better running shoes, pants, a Garmin GPS device, a heart rate monitor, and various other toys that make it so much more fun.

See, back in my day, when I first started running in middle school cross country, all I had was my second-hand watch for company, and a crappy pair of Nike shoes I bought at Target. Then I got a CD player (my Walkman had been smashed by my sister, and CDs were the "new" thing), which meant I could dance while running, but it skipped when I went too fast. I was a sad panda.

Now I have an MP3 player, GPS tracking, and awesome shoes. Life is so much more awesome when you're running with awesome things. People who don't run have no idea the awesome-sauce they're missing.

Unless you have specific issues, like knee, back, or bad joints that really can't take impact, then the only thing running will do is make your body work hard. Which could be bad, I suppose. Maybe your friend hates working too hard.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running is terrible for you! Avoid it all costs, as it will only make you totally awesome...
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    It was REALLY bad for me....It made my body drop 60lbs in extra weight, made my heart and lungs work harder and get stronger, turned my flabby legs into legs with actual visible muscle definition, used up pairs and pairs of expensive running shoes over the years, not to mention all the beautifull places and scenery I RAN past....:sad:

Oh, and it's bad for the environment too, cause I go through tons of sweaty laundry......:grumble:

It's addictive, its healthy, its fun - go and enjoy!!

^^^ What she said!
    Perfectly....:happy:

LOVE IT :)
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I recently heard that too... the person who told me (because I'm a runner) said it has to do with the impact it has on your spine. The only problem I have with running is that it can delay some "women stuff" lol but other than that I think it's good for you :)
    I am a Chiropractor - the impact on the spine stuff is wrong to the point of being backwards. Running will increase joint mobility in the spine, it will strengthen the muscles that support your spine and it will increase the bone density of your spine.

The delaying women stuff has more to do with extreme diets combined with insane amounts of exercise then running.

Unless you have preexisting issues, I wouldn't even be all that concerned about your knees.

I don't see a lot of runners in my office, I do however see a lot of sedentary people.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it and you're not injuring yourself, ignore them. It's all about finding what works for you! I wish I could run!