Basic math.. Who knows it?

Options

Replies

• Precious75134
    Precious75134 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oh my....I suck at math....Glad I teach reading....
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    9-5+5x0+3=

Showing my work...that would be 9-5=4....4+5=9...x0=0....+3 = 3
    My answer is 3....

I'm an elementary teacher and if I can't do this one it means I have been away from teaching math for too too long....Now if you would have thrown some parenthesis in there...I might would have to call up my colleague to walk me throught...lol....

See post above you for why this answer is incorrect.

This thread makes me very sad by the way... yikes....
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    basicmath.jpg

Is it 7?
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options

But "maths" should be "math."

Thanks for asking!

It's actually called "maths" in Great Britain. I thought it was weird at first too.

Former math teacher here. It's 7.

Maths, as in "mathematics". We in North America actually are the ones butchering it! Now the big question, what is the derivative of y=9-5+5*0+3?

y = 7
    hence, y' = 0
    Furthermore, int(y) = 7x + C, where C is the arbitrary constant of integration...

Ha ha, ding ding ding! We have a winner. Please come to the front of the room to collect your gold star.

I have a M.S. in pure math. If I don't know my derivatives and the fundamental theorem of calculus while sleeping, you can come smack me in the face.

Consider it done. Tomorrows lesson will involve transformations of conic sections, triple integrals, and rings & fields. Stay tuned.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    basicmath.jpg

Please restore my faith in humanity...

I know the thing says "comment with your answer only" but I would like that to say "show your work!"

Remember elementary and middle school?

(i apologize if i have brought back repressed memories of creepy math teachers)

Multiply 5*0 first = 0.

9 - 5 +0 +3 = 7

And thank you for this. Today I was stunned when I handed someone $11 cash for a food order that was $10.90. She had to use the calculator to figure out my change. :noway:

Ha. I handed a cashier 3.02 for a 2.57 sale and she looked at me and said "2 cents, that's it?".

I'm married to a mathlete and he makes a hobby out of confusing cashiers. It's quite sad, both his hobby and the cashiers' inability to figure out simple subtraction.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    basicmath.jpg

I know the thing says "comment with your answer only" but I would like that to say "show your work!"

(big hint: the answer is not 0, 1 or 3...)

• Precious75134
    Precious75134 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    paranthesis, exponents, multiply or divide, add or subtract.

please excuse my dear aunt sally. lol

That's a cool way to remember...I knew it was parenthesis first but got lost on the rest....darn...I am ashamed of myself
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

But "maths" should be "math."

Thanks for asking!

It's actually called "maths" in Great Britain. I thought it was weird at first too.

Former math teacher here. It's 7.

Maths, as in "mathematics". We in North America actually are the ones butchering it! Now the big question, what is the derivative of y=9-5+5*0+3?

y = 7
    hence, y' = 0
    Furthermore, int(y) = 7x + C, where C is the arbitrary constant of integration...

Ha ha, ding ding ding! We have a winner. Please come to the front of the room to collect your gold star.

I have a M.S. in pure math. If I don't know my derivatives and the fundamental theorem of calculus while sleeping, you can come smack me in the face.

Consider it done. Tomorrows lesson will involve transformations of conic sections, triple integrals, and rings & fields. Stay tuned.

Just don't make me list the basic Laplace transforms by memory when I first wake up....
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
  • Karstenf
    Karstenf Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    9-5+5x0+3 multiply first

9-5+0+3 Then left to right

4+3

• RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    what are you getting on a calculator?
    i've used 3 calculators and they say 3 ....my calculators don't know bedmas?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    9-5+5x0+3=

My answer is 3....

I'm an elementary teacher and if I can't do this one it means I have been away from teaching math for too too long....Now if you would have thrown some parenthesis in there...I might would have to call up my colleague to walk me throught...lol....

I am feeling so much shame right now.
  • HorrorGeek
    HorrorGeek Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    basicmath.jpg

Multiply 5*0 first = 0.

9 - 5 +0 +3 = 7

And thank you for this. Today I was stunned when I handed someone $11 cash for a food order that was $10.90. She had to use the calculator to figure out my change. :noway:

Ha. I handed a cashier 3.02 for a 2.57 sale and she looked at me and said "2 cents, that's it?".

If that doesn't make you fear the future, I don't know what will. We get closer and closer to the movie Idiocracy every day.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    the answer s 7 !!!!

and, "maths" ??!!!

goodness. :noway:
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    9-5+5x0+3=

My answer is 3....

You should maybe check with that colleague anyway... Clearly you've been away from math too long.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    i've used 3 calculators and they say 3
    You've done it incorrectly 3 times!
  • Peterpuck49
    Options
    The answer is 7. The operation hierarchy is: 1. do operations in brackets first. but since there are no brackets, 2. do multiplication and division next. 3. do addition and subtraction last. (at least that's how it was 50 years ago- unless some congressman has decided that something else is more politically correct!) By this hierarchy, the second five gets multiplied by zero and thus nothing is added to the 9 - 5 except the + 3 at the end.
  • bohoatthebeach
    Options
    9 - 5 + 5 x 0 + 3
    =9 - 5 + 3
    =4 + 3
    =7

(':

What we were taught at school is BEDMAS: Brackets, Exponents, Division & Multiplication (l > r), Addition & Subtraction (l > r).
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    i've used 3 calculators and they say 3 ....my calculators don't know bedmas?

My calculator says 7. A TI-87 Titanium knows how to do orders of operations.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    i've used 3 calculators and they say 3
    You've done it incorrectly 3 times!

i don't know how to use a calculator then either lol