Calling all Americans!!

Options
I need your help! My friends and I are planning a road trip to your fine country of America!

I'm looking for suggestions for places to visit, we're pretty open to suggestions at the minute. We're planning to arrive in Boston in February and depart from Miami in May...the bit in between is still up in the air.

So guys, any places that we HAVE to see??

Replies

• magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Not sure that this is a place that you HAVE to see, but Dollywood/Gatlinburg is fun...it might be on your way down to Miami too!

www.dollywood.com
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Can you fly in to Miami and out of Boston!? The Freedom Trail in Boston is a MUST do, especially if you're interested in American history - but February is kind of cold since it involves alot of walking outside.

You can do the tourist sites in Florida such as Disney World, MGM or Universal Studios.

I also like the Southern Outer banks in North Carolina - there's beautiful beaches there.

Hope you have a GREAT visit!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I had gone here on a road trip and it is a beautiful place.

http://ngeorgia.com/ang/Amicalola_Falls_State_Park
  • Cinnamon_Kisses
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys! Both sound interesting, we're really interested in the history, especially in the southern states. We're wondering if Chicago is worth seeing??

We can't WAIT! So excited!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    San Francisco. Awesome, tons of fine dining, tourist destinations, beautiful. like many cities in one.

Las Vegas. adult amusement park extraordinaire.

Grand Canyon/Yosemite/Yellowstone do you want to see nature in her glory?
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I had gone here on a road trip and it is a beautiful place.

http://ngeorgia.com/ang/Amicalola_Falls_State_Park

I LOVE Amicalola Falls!!! I think we're going to go hiking there in June for our couples getaway when hubby visits!

There's actually a lot to do in Atlanta if you're interested. There's a brand new, huge Aquarium, the World of Coca Cola has a cool tour, Underground Atlanta, etc. Try checking out www.atlanta.net . Sorry I don't know much about other states. I don't get out of Georgia too much!!! :flowerforyou:

Enjoy your stay here and travel safe!!!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I would say if you are going out west
    Grand Canyon
    Redwood forest
    Petrifried Forest
    Painted desert

If you are planning on staying east of the Mississippi River.

Blue Ridge Mountains
    Kittyhawk
    Outer Banks
    Savanna Georgia
    Try to catch a Nascar Race
    Daytona Beach Florida
    Everglades National Park, Florida (Take bug spray)
  • Cinnamon_Kisses
    Options
    Eeeeeee these websites are getting me even more excited!

It's so weird planning our trip because I come from a tiny place in Ireland and the other guys come from England and we're just like "...oh...we can fit our country into one of their states..." So it's all a bit overwhelming!
  • Cinnamon_Kisses
    Options
    Grand Canyon
    Redwood forest
    Petrifried Forest
    Painted desert

Blue Ridge Mountains
    Kittyhawk
    Outer Banks
    Savanna Georgia
    Daytona Beach Florida

What's Nascar??

I think we're mostly staying in the West.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Not sure that this is a place that you HAVE to see, but Dollywood/Gatlinburg is fun...it might be on your way down to Miami too!

www.dollywood.com

couple years ago my wife and I drove from Hiltonhead South Carolina thru Ashville (stayed the night and ate at some awesome BBQ joint) and then drove up thru the Smokey Mountain National Park.
    Wow. That was probably the most amazing drives I've ever been on. We stopped about a hundred times. Every stop is a scenic spot. I want to ride my motorcycle out there sometime.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I would second the suggestion to start in Miami and work up to Boston. It will be freezing in Boston in February, but by May it will be lovely. I second the Smokey Mountain suggestion. If you're interested in history and beauty, Savannah is a must do, IMHO. You'll also be close to lots of Civil War historic sights if you just sort of work your way up or down the coast.

Chicago is worth seeing, but it's quite off the Eastern track you seem to be on, and would take some traveling to and from.
  • magichatter06
    Options
    I would second the suggestion to start in Miami and work up to Boston. It will be freezing in Boston in February, but by May it will be lovely. I second the Smokey Mountain suggestion. If you're interested in history and beauty, Savannah is a must do, IMHO. You'll also be close to lots of Civil War historic sights if you just sort of work your way up or down the coast.

Chicago is worth seeing, but it's quite off the Eastern track you seem to be on, and would take some traveling to and from.

Yeah, Boston will be cold in Feb....third on the starting from the bottom back up!
  • Cinnamon_Kisses
    Options
    Ahhh we're hardened English, we have permanent frost bite! We're quite eager to see Chicago because of the Great Lakes.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I agree with Savannah, GA. BIG Historical site and beautiful! Smoky Mnts are gorgeous, too. But I'm a Southern Girl and I'm a bit biased! :happy:
  • magichatter06
    Options
    Grand Canyon
    Redwood forest
    Petrifried Forest
    Painted desert

Blue Ridge Mountains
    Kittyhawk
    Outer Banks
    Savanna Georgia
    Daytona Beach Florida

What's Nascar??

hehe, this is nascar.... www.bristolmotorspeedway.com we only have 2 races a year, one in March and the other in August....

www.nascar.com is the official website of racing tho lol
  • Cinnamon_Kisses
    Options
    Grand Canyon
    Redwood forest
    Petrifried Forest
    Painted desert

Blue Ridge Mountains
    Kittyhawk
    Outer Banks
    Savanna Georgia
    Daytona Beach Florida

What's Nascar??

hehe, this is nascar.... www.bristolmotorspeedway.com we only have 2 races a year, one in March and the other in August....

www.nascar.com is the official website of racing tho lol

That looks awesome!! There's just too many things to see and do! We're looking into getting a clipper from Seattle to Victoria!

Your national parks look so beautiful.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a Bostonian who's been to ireland and England in the winter, Sweetie, you don't want ANY part of Boston in February. Trust me. This year the average temp was about 21 degrees Farenheit (or about -6 C). With lots and lots of Snow. Yuck. And the great lakes are even worse (colder with more snow!) So I fourth (or fifth?) that suggestion of starting south and moving north. Boston in Early may is very nice, about 60 Farenheit (about 15 C) and lots of great stuff happening. If you do come in April or May, you MUST go see a Red Sox game. It matters little whether you follow baseball, it's an event not to miss. Ahh, Fanuel Hall is always pretty cool, and the Public Gardens are a great spot. Oh, and the Museum of Science is awesome, go to the Omni Theater if you go there, it's pretty cool (It's one of the first IMAX theaters)
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    So much talk about Savannah GA-- yes it is very historical- (i live in Savannah due to Duty station) Best time to be here is St patty's day. huge parade one of the biggest-
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    If you have time swing down to New Orleans.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Nobody even mentioned New York City. There is a ton of stuff to see there. Of course, if you are in New York State, go and see Niagara Falls. You are best to be on the Canadian side though because we have the prettier falls!