biggest loser really IS a loser

Options

Replies

• holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I never liked the show either. I don't like being screamed at but that was the contestant's choice. I often wondered who they had to scream at them when they went home in order to continue the exercise regimen. On MFP I can share or not and learn how to do this without anyone forcing me or humiliating me.
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    This is a hilarious parody of the show! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62x0ba7EYcI
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Never really liked the show myself thought it very degrading
  • Bryan0192
    Options
    I honestly never thought of it as exploiting vulnerable people before, but there is a lot of truth to that, now that I think about it.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I really hate how it degrades and mocks overweight people, that sux.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I watch it from time to time, but I do have issues with the very public humiliation they subject their participants to. It's one thing to help someone learn to love the body they inhabit regardless of the state it's in, it's another thing altogether to force them to expose their darkest fears, their deepest shame and most personal failures in front of the whole world. Yes, they they have triumphs too, but at what cost? People in the obese weight ranges are often incredibly vulnerable and generally have other deep-seated issues that put them there. To have to work through all of that on national television is it's own form of evil, even if they sought it out.

My wife and I didn't start watching until season 7 and I loved it. Currently it seems weight loss has taken a back seat to the ongoing Conda drama. Although I admit the drama with Adrian was kind of funny to watch. I would LOVE it if Jillian came back during a guest Trainer "spot" like they've done with several athletes. Someone mentioned in this thread, "why haven't they had a reunion episode". I believe that reunion episode occurred last year or in 2010 around Thanksgiving. Michelle Agular was noticeably absent for some reason. Another mentioned they have chefs cooking their food. That isn't correct, they cook their food, either one of their fellow contestants cook for a group or they cook their own individual food.

For me it has been educational

I've never been obese, for me I could never identify or even understand what it is like to be obese. Honestly I didn't care, it wasn't on my radar of things to be concerned or to care about. Now I've learned that obesity isn't an eating problem, it's usually a mental, emotional, as well as physiological problem. Before The Biggest Loser while in the gym I would simply ignore an obese person like a machine I wouldn't use that day. I wasn't one of those gymrats that thought "Why is that fatty here"? I simply literally ignored the person's presence. Now I'm more apt to give an appreciative smile, or say a kind word such as "Keep it up good work" or something inspirational. Basically I assumed obesity was closely related to being lazy. Now I know otherwise and sympathize with the feelings of self doubt, pain, lack of confidence, and lack of self worth.

I think it should illustrate to people with obesity problems that YOU CAN OVERCOME what you are going through and that you can lose weight NO MATTER WHAT your circumstances are.

For me it motivates me

There is no way you can watch The Biggest Loser and not desire to workout. Before watching The Biggest Loser I never conducted my cardio with intervals. I've seen the transformation of fat loss off my body when I began incorporating intervals into my cardio routine.

Dolvett's a welcome addition but I think Bob is getting tired of him. Last season when Anna was there he got frustrated with him more than a few times. This season I haven't seen either of them converse.... not even once. The chemistry between Bob and Jillian was awesome. Once Bob leaves I doubt I'll continue watching unless Kim Lyons returns.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Hate reality tv shows, and well, anything that exploits peoples problems is not for me,,,, that is not entertainment.
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Ever since Jillian left I haven't watched :(
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I never did like that show. I always thought it exploited people who were over weight. We have enough criticism and bias without that.

I dislike it for this reason as well as a few others. I think it gives people false expectations about weight loss. These people are confined in a house with access only to healthy food, dieticians and a Personal Trainer to work them hard every day. They also have big motivators to lose the weight. They drop several pounds per week. People watching think they too can lose a lot of weight really quickly in the same way - then they get disappointed in themselves when they can't get the same results.

I also dislike reality television in general.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I pretty much stopped watching when Jillian left although I did watch the episode on Tuesday when they did Zumba!
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Although I do like the show ... sometimes, I believe they need to have a disclaimer of some type.

"Contestants workout for an average of 6 - 12 hours per day with access to only nutritional foods. This show reflects the ideal environment for weight loss such as access to a workout facility, 0 outside interference (family, work, and personal finances), medical care, physician evaluation, and a dedicated personal trainer without cost. Your results at home WILL NOT COME CLOSE TO THIS".

For all of you who loved Jillian; do you remember her last two season and she'd often remark about how she hated "the game" of the Biggest Loser. I knew she was out the door during her last season when she didn't BLOW UP at the person who ate thousands of calories during a challenge in order to have control over.... "the game".
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I've stopped watching too.....I didn't mind the concept of the show but when they started pushing products constantly and Bob became a hardass just for TV....they lost me.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I hear you on that one.

it's a lot like this, they keep trying but it's not working out the way they want it to

didnt-see-that-one-coming.gif

Wow! What a bizarre piece of footage! :happy:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Bad Season this time around. :sad:
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    this show has gone soooooo downhill, that I can't even wAtch the next season.......its bogus to me now....basically I compare it to every other lame reality scripted tv show....ugh .. talk about dazzle dazzle buull crrappppp.....very sad, because this show used to be legit.
    WELL SAID!!!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Although I do like the show ... sometimes, I believe they need to have a disclaimer of some type.

"Contestants workout for an average of 6 - 12 hours per day with access to only nutritional foods. This show reflects the ideal environment for weight loss such as access to a workout facility, 0 outside interference (family, work, and personal finances), medical care, physician evaluation, and a dedicated personal trainer without cost. Your results at home WILL NOT COME CLOSE TO THIS".

For all of you who loved Jillian; do you remember her last two season and she'd often remark about how she hated "the game" of the Biggest Loser. I knew she was out the door during her last season when she didn't BLOW UP at the person who ate thousands of calories during a challenge in order to have control over.... "the game".

That would be good. I wouldn't mind seeing a follow up show, where the contestants actually return to their home lives and you actually see how they have applied the skills they've learnt in the show to their home lives. They are completely different environments. I have read a lot of people regain back some of the weight they'd lost.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    This season has been very disappointing for me... I have not connected with any of the contestants, and even now I don't care too much who "wins" as so many just act like sore losers and whiny immature babies. I have many doubts that anyone this season has learned and changed enough to succeed long-term with their weight loss.

I do like Dolvett, and I like the competitive spirit between him and Bob. I was never too crazy about Jillian, her style just would not motivate me in the least. But she sure did know how to get results!

My main interest in the show continues to be seeing people do what would seem to be impossible - very overweight people getting fit and healthy. It does inspire and motivate me to try harder and encourage me to believe that I can do it. Only someone who has been on the show can really attest to what exactly they have done in terms of diet/exercise/___________?? to lose the weight.

For me, "controlling what I can control", like eating less and moving more, will continue to be my mantra, and I will take what I can that is positive from the show and disregard the negative as much as possible.

I agree with this. I like Dolvett better than I ever liked Jillian, and he's very easy on the eyes, which helps. I've always been fascinated by the transformations, because I've always had a hard time seeing my own progress. One of my issues is that I don't think what is presented on the show is sustainable. This week's episode had a food prep contest, and former contestants were the judges. They freaked out about a tsp. of real (not fat free or light) mayo being used in a dish. A TEASPOON. Really people? I thought the contestant who did that was being realistic--sometimes a little bit of the real deal is a lot more satisfying than the light versions.

Another example: A few weeks back a contestant was freaking out during a temptation. She described anxiety over being confronted by pizza. While I realize people have trigger foods, what the heck is going to happen to her when she goes home and people around her have pizza, or she sees a commercial for pizza? Personally, I think the fact that the show isn't addressing how to deal with THAT is a problem.

Same thing with a guy who was dealing with chili dogs. I don't think chili dogs and pizza should be in anyone's diet on a regular basis, but why not provide them with re-vamped recipes for these foods so they CAN have them?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    This season has been very disappointing for me... I have not connected with any of the contestants, and even now I don't care too much who "wins" as so many just act like sore losers and whiny immature babies. I have many doubts that anyone this season has learned and changed enough to succeed long-term with their weight loss.

I do like Dolvett, and I like the competitive spirit between him and Bob. I was never too crazy about Jillian, her style just would not motivate me in the least. But she sure did know how to get results!

My main interest in the show continues to be seeing people do what would seem to be impossible - very overweight people getting fit and healthy. It does inspire and motivate me to try harder and encourage me to believe that I can do it. Only someone who has been on the show can really attest to what exactly they have done in terms of diet/exercise/___________?? to lose the weight.

For me, "controlling what I can control", like eating less and moving more, will continue to be my mantra, and I will take what I can that is positive from the show and disregard the negative as much as possible.

I agree with this. I like Dolvett better than I ever liked Jillian, and he's very easy on the eyes, which helps. I've always been fascinated by the transformations, because I've always had a hard time seeing my own progress. One of my issues is that I don't think what is presented on the show is sustainable. This week's episode had a food prep contest, and former contestants were the judges. They freaked out about a tsp. of real (not fat free or light) mayo being used in a dish. A TEASPOON. Really people? I thought the contestant who did that was being realistic--sometimes a little bit of the real deal is a lot more satisfying than the light versions.

Another example: A few weeks back a contestant was freaking out during a temptation. She described anxiety over being confronted by pizza. While I realize people have trigger foods, what the heck is going to happen to her when she goes home and people around her have pizza, or she sees a commercial for pizza? Personally, I think the fact that the show isn't addressing how to deal with THAT is a problem.

Same thing with a guy who was dealing with chili dogs. I don't think chili dogs and pizza should be in anyone's diet on a regular basis, but why not provide them with re-vamped recipes for these foods so they CAN have them?

I haven't watched the show in awhile, but I agree with this post.

I think it has a good concept to it, but I think they lose people when it becomes all or nothing. It is hard to be all or nothing for the rest of your life. It just isn't easy to sustain it long term. People shouldn't be forced to have an anxiety attack over pizza or freaking out over a teaspoon of real mayo. Why not teach people how to enjoy the good things in life in MODERATION? Why not teach them how to make a healthier pizza than the one they are buying at their local 7-11 instead of saying "All pizza is bad". There are ways to make things healthier so you can still enjoy the foods you love.

And I'm sorry, but there's NO WAY working out 6, 7 or more hours a day is sustainable for the long term. People have lives and life isn't going to allow most of us to be in the gym for that long each day.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    It also made me curious to see how many contestants were able to continue / maintain weight loss back in the "real world"?
    Why has there been no "Biggest Loser Reunion"??

It's really become just a mass marketing machine.... and I suppose at some level it has value, but it really cheapens it IMO.

I've seen a few reunion episodes - usually the week before the finale or a day or two before it as an extra show. Lots of them keep the weight of, and they are honest with/about the ones that are struggling.
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm still a fan of the show, but I did really like the Bob and Jillian combo best. I do like Dolvett, but I didn't care for any of the other trainers they tried. I did notice the last couple of seasons the contestants had a lot more compassion for each other. They were all about who deserved or needed to be there, and actually worked to help keep others there for the most part. This season they seem to be back to the drama and the game. People are whiny and *****y and back stabbing. How has Conda made it this far? She's a larger girl yet she doesn't have the biggest loss of the women. She seemed lazy for so long and the personality on top of it?
    One thing that has always bothered me about the show is the "exercise until you're dropping and puking" attitude. I do realize they need a large amount of weight loss in a short amount of time, but why give the impression that this is what you're going to have to do to lose the weight? I've made it halfway to my goal weight in the past with just diet alone. Moderate activity and other changes to your lifestyle will work too. How many of these contestants get sidelined for weeks with stress fractures? There's such a thing as over doing it too!