• Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    EATING MORE doesn't work for me

Eating more than what? eating more than TDEE won't work for anybody.

But eating less than TDEE has to work for everyone - if it doesn't you have calculated it wrong.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Pringles.

But eating less than TDEE has to work for everyone - if it doesn't you have calculated it wrong.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I never understood why people say they feel like they are starving on 1200 calories. I feel completely satisfied, eat every 2 hours, and always stay within my calorie range. PLUS, I've lost 68 pounds doing this for 5 months. I guess this just goes to show you that really everyone is different!

If you can feel satisfied on so few calories, why do you think you had so much weight to lose in the first place? Surely you had to have been eating way more than 1200 calories when you were gaining weight.
    I'm eating better...eating more protein rich foods which therefore keeps me full longer. I honestly don't think it's how much you eat, but WHAT you eat. I used to eat extremely unhealthy and probably easily ate 3000 calories a day. It did take some adjusting(for me, it was about 3 days) to get used to it, but now I'm cruising along. I'm happy, satisfied, and healthier. I don't know if your response was supposed to be snooty, but I'm going to pretend that it doesn't sound that way. Have a great day! :-)
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I never understood why people say they feel like they are starving on 1200 calories. I feel completely satisfied, eat every 2 hours, and always stay within my calorie range. PLUS, I've lost 68 pounds doing this for 5 months. I guess this just goes to show you that really everyone is different!

I'd Just like to say, that your weight loss may stall, that's when you should up your calories, not lower it. I lost 20kg at 1,200 plus my exercise calories, then my weight loss stalled... I started lifting heavy weights and upped my calories (to 1,700 plus exercise) and I'm losing again.

Every one is different, but if your weight loss stalls, give it a go. Not for just one week though, you might put on in the first week.... Do it for at least a month.
    I do agree that once I get closer to goal, that I will have to up my calories. I have had a steady weightloss for 5 months (at least 2 to 3 pounds a week) and still have 47 more pounds to lose. I'm not really close and so far, what I'm doing is working. If I do stall, of course I will look in to changing things up. :-)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    you can even eat more Pringles as long as they fit your calories and macros.:tongue:
    Pringles.

• Michael164
    Options
    Good Job
  • RonneyMichelle
    RonneyMichelle Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Actually things were working just fine for me at 1200 or less calories and not eating back my exerecise calories so far. I've lost 27 pounds since the second week of January this year. But, I'm not satisfied with that low calories. I'm still neededing to lose 76 pounds. I haven't really had problems losing, but have went up a little when I've gone over on my cheat meals. I still lose a few ounces daily.

Ok question here. My
    BMR 1476
    TDEE 2288
    So cals should be 1831 a day.
    I recently bought and started using a BodyMedia Fit Link.
    It tells me to lose 1 pound a week my goals should be
    Target to burn daily 1847
    I should consume 1347 calories a day
    Goal to have a calorie deficit of 500
    I'm sitting here with a calorie deficit of 583 at 11:40PM.
    I've consumed 1610 calories today, but with the deficit my net would be that minus 500.
    I did my first day of Couch to 5K, rode bike for 20 minutes and lifted weights for 20 minutes.
    I have burned according to the body monitor 2194 calories today.

Ok, so my question is, is this ok? I mean I didn't reach my 1831 calories, but I'm close to spot on with the body monitor on what it says I need based on my stats etc.
    I've been on 1200 calories a day since the third week of January of this year and lost 27 pounds. My net cals are usually under 1200 though.
    I'm afraid to go by the body monitor but also afraid to eat 1800 calories, LOL

IF things are working for you the way you are doing it now, continue on with it (but try to eat net BMR if you are not very overweight or obese).

If things are NOT working for you and you are looking at breaking a plateau, then you can try upping your calories to at least NET of your BMR. If your plateau does not break after around 4 weeks of upping your cals, then you can try something else to break it. Eg, more weight lifting, less weight lifting, less cardio, more cardio etc etc.
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options
    Actually things were working just fine for me at 1200 or less calories and not eating back my exerecise calories so far. I've lost 27 pounds since the second week of January this year. But, I'm not satisfied with that low calories. I'm still neededing to lose 76 pounds. I haven't really had problems losing, but have went up a little when I've gone over on my cheat meals. I still lose a few ounces daily.

Ok question here. My
    BMR 1476
    TDEE 2288
    So cals should be 1831 a day.
    I recently bought and started using a BodyMedia Fit Link.
    It tells me to lose 1 pound a week my goals should be
    Target to burn daily 1847
    I should consume 1347 calories a day
    Goal to have a calorie deficit of 500
    I'm sitting here with a calorie deficit of 583 at 11:40PM.
    I've consumed 1610 calories today, but with the deficit my net would be that minus 500.
    I did my first day of Couch to 5K, rode bike for 20 minutes and lifted weights for 20 minutes.
    I have burned according to the body monitor 2194 calories today.

Ok, so my question is, is this ok? I mean I didn't reach my 1831 calories, but I'm close to spot on with the body monitor on what it says I need based on my stats etc.
    I've been on 1200 calories a day since the third week of January of this year and lost 27 pounds. My net cals are usually under 1200 though.
    I'm afraid to go by the body monitor but also afraid to eat 1800 calories, LOL

IF things are working for you the way you are doing it now, continue on with it (but try to eat net BMR if you are not very overweight or obese).

If things are NOT working for you and you are looking at breaking a plateau, then you can try upping your calories to at least NET of your BMR. If your plateau does not break after around 4 weeks of upping your cals, then you can try something else to break it. Eg, more weight lifting, less weight lifting, less cardio, more cardio etc etc.

Yes, if you feel that way, it's time to change the routine.

I think many of us WANT a change because we're just frustrated and fed up with having to subsist with such low intake in food. Sure, if we eat nutrient dense foods, 1200 can go a long way BUT heck, we want butter, pizza and all those yummy food made up of refined carbs which if we ate them on a 1200 diet, is just too much calories in one go so many of us (IME) DON'T give in. How long do we last though?

As for how you up your cals, some may suggest that you up your calories slowly to see if it works or not. IME, though, sometimes, the body needs a shock treatment and if you upped to say, 1800 immediately, you may see results faster and not feel that upping your cals is not working. But then again, everyone is different... you can only try and DON'T give up!
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the opposite experience.and am back to restricted calories. I would not base a big conclusion on one week's weight loss in any case..............
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about all the acronyms, I keep it really simple. I try my very best to always NET at least 1200 calories. Some days that means I eat 1400 cals and others 1600 or more, but my net is always at least 1200. It works for me, and at just over 5 weeks, I'm still a newbie. Maybe down the road I will need to know those acronyms and how to calculate them, but for now the KISS method is working.

:love: :flowerforyou: :love: :flowerforyou: :love: :flowerforyou:
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I know there are a million and one topics out there about this
    But I feel there needs to be one more confirmation for those ppl struggling at 1200 calories and not losing
    Here is my story of how increasing calories worked

I've been on this site 100 days and lost maybe 4 pounds in the first 40 days while struggling to only eat 1200 calories
    after that nothing.....for 60 days I just stayed the same
    1 week ago I took advice from another thread and found out my BMR and TDEE measurements and increased my calories to 1500
    and this week lost 1.5 pounds....

So for those of you who "Can't stay under 1200 cals" it's really not necessary
    Just thought I would share my success

But if you're someone like me who is in starvation mode and is holding onto anything you eat or drink and is still losing muscle, you have to EASE your way into eating more. I made the mistake by eating more right away....now I'm fatter.
  • Woman38
    Woman38 Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow! This is what I've been looking for. For someone to approve - Eat More! LOL
    The more I read about weight loss the more I'm getting confused..... Please HELP! I jazzercise/aerobics 4 times a week burning about 400-700 cals and currently struggle to eat between 1000-1300 cals. Per the website mentioned, I calculated the following -
    Weight - 144.6
    Lean Body Mass - 95lbs
    Fat - 49.6 lbs
    Body Fat Percentage - 34.3 %
    Goal Body weight - 127 lbs
    BMR - 1392
    Daily Calories -1800-2000

I haven't lost any weight in many years in spite of trying different things. I get frustrated and cheat every now and then, but mostly get back and stay away from refined flour/breads/pasta etc. If I ate that many cals, what should be the ratio of fat/protein/carbs? I feel so deprived .. Can I add a sweet treat as long as they fit in my cal count! HELP!!!
  • esteelewis
    esteelewis Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    So I am a bit confused. I went to the http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ calculator and entered in the info.

Age 28
    Female
    Your height (in inches): 66
    Your CURRENT weight (in pounds): 335
    Your GOAL weight (in pounds): 155
    Your body fat percentage (if known): 51

This says my BMR (using the Katch-McArdle Forumla) is 1980.
    I do not see where it says my TDEE? Is this somewhere on here also?
    For a sedentary lifestyle it puts my calories at 1810.

1810 is lower than my BMR...so am I supposed to eat the BMR or the calories it estimates?

Currently I eat 1600 calories. I lose weight if I eat 1600 calories. If I eat 1800 calories I gain weight. So I am wary bumping it up to 2000. Every time I eat 1800 calories I end up gaining. Just trying to figure this out.

I am misreading what the TDEE is? Is a different calculator? Thanks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am 34 and 5'2" and my BMR is 1396 according to fat2fit. Not sure what my TDEE is. I.work out 3-5 times per week for about 30 minutes. Fat2fit says I should be eating around 1770 calories. This sounds way to high. I was eating 1200 calories a day plus my workout calories and increased to 1300 calories. I have had only a 1 pound loss in the last 30 days. I think I need to increase my calories but not sure how much. Please help!

Which activity level was the 1770?
    Chart on fat2fit with my information.

1770 was lightly active 1-3 days per week
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1544
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1770
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 1995
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2220
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

You may want to be between lightly active and moderately active, depending on how intesnse you workouts are. However, assuming lightly active, you should be going with 1,770. Remember, this includes exercise so you do not 'eat your calories back' if you log them in MFP as they are already baked into the 1,770.

You may want to increase by 100-200 a week until you get to the target - this seems to work better for folks than all of a sudden increasing. .

So let's see if I have this right.....My current BMR is 1396 and my TDEE with Moderate activity 3-5 days per week is 2163.80. So if I subtract 500 calories from my TDEE then I should consume 1663.80 calories per day. Plus eat back my exercise calories to come up to the recommended moderately active calories of 1995 by the fat2fit chart. Do I have this correct? I am currently working out 4-5 days per week and aiming for 6 days per week and I average 200 calories burned but would like to increase to get at least 300 calories burned per day. And how much protein/carbs/fat?

If you got the calorie target from the activity table in fit2fat, the deficit is already included (see blurb in explanation above the table) - so you eat 2164 at that level of activity. The excerise is already included in this number so you do not eat them back.

If you want to have it so you eat back your exercise calories (as they may be inconsistent week to week), you pick the level of activity without work-outs and then eat your calories back.

The suggested ration is 40/30/30 - carbs/fat/protein
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    So I am a bit confused. I went to the http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ calculator and entered in the info.

Age 28
    Female

1810 is lower than my BMR...so am I supposed to eat the BMR or the calories it estimates?

Currently I eat 1600 calories. I lose weight if I eat 1600 calories. If I eat 1800 calories I gain weight. So I am wary bumping it up to 2000. Every time I eat 1800 calories I end up gaining. Just trying to figure this out.

The numbers given includes a deficit - your TDEE is 20% more = maintanance. If you eat over 2160 (1800 = 20%) you gain weight.

Remember, you need to give your body a couple of weeks to adjust. Some people see an immediate loss, and some gain for a week or two.
  • kizzaii
    kizzaii Posts: 52
    Options
    I've recently discovered this too. It's such an odd concept, if only more people believed it.
  • esteelewis
    Options

Age 28
    Female

The numbers given includes a deficit - your TDEE is 20% more = maintanance. If you eat over 2160 (1800 = 20%) you gain weight.

Remember, you need to give your body a couple of weeks to adjust. Some people see an immediate loss, and some gain for a week or two.

Ok...so if my TDEE is 2160 am I supposed to cut that number by 500 calories to lose 1 lb a week? Although that would also put me below the BMR. Or am I supposed to just eat between 1980 and 2160?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Age 28
    Female

Ok...so if my TDEE is 2160 am I supposed to cut that number by 500 calories to lose 1 lb a week? Although that would also put me below the BMR. Or am I supposed to just eat between 1980 and 2160?

Sorry - did not spot your BMR. You should eat your BMR in this case. Periodically re-*kitten* and re-run your numbers. Your BMR should decrease as you lose weight.
  • esteelewis
    Options

Sorry - did not spot your BMR. You should eat your BMR in this case. Periodically re-*kitten* and re-run your numbers. Your BMR should decrease as you lose weight.

Ok thank you. I will give it a try!