For the 500,000 time EATING MORE WORKS

Options

Replies

• ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So here is my question for you guys out there. I have been using MFP for several months and been losing weight since June 2010. I have been maintaining around 1300 calories a day, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on how I feel. I usually don't eat back my exercise calories, but sometimes if I do, it's only between 100-200 of the calories I burn (I usually average 500-600 a day) I've had great success only eating this amount every day. So, I was very surprised to see that my ideal calorie intake should be over 1,700 calories based on my height/weight/etc. I have a very hard time believing that I could eat that much and still maintain my level of weight loss. So, should I continue with what I've been doing, or should I try and eat more and see? I'd really hate to start doing something different that will end up causing me to gain or not lose as much as I have been.
  • McMellll
    McMellll Posts: 15
    Options
    ok, i'm going to jump in b\c i need help & i want to be eating enough...

i have been around 137/8 for a while. i was around 141 at the beginning of the year, and i lost back what i gained. in january/february i got serious & started going back to the gym again. i go 5x a week normally and my exercises vary (cardio, swimming, weights, yoga). i also started using mfp daily again. yet, in those 13 weeks i have only lost 3-4 lbs

mfp had me at 1240 calories- i went to bed starving. so i thought i needed to bump up- i jumped on a thread and decided to bump my calories up. i was told to set mfp for my goal weight and to select maintain- that put me at 1650 calories.

so while 1240 is too little it seems that 1650 is too many. i did a fitness test at my gym, met with a trainer and they both told me to up what i was eating per meals (keep meals below 700)- so i have- i try to keep my meals around 500... but tonight i got back from the gym and the had 800 calories to make up- at 8pm!!!!! i can't eat like that- so tonight i am going to bed still 200 calories under- no wonder this isn't working.

i just need to know how many calories to eat- i get that i need to eat back my exercise calories- but i just need to know a good daily goal that is feasible. give me a number and i will eat that! on the days i burn 400 calories- i just don't think i can physically eat 2000 total calories. it's not that i'm scared of eating more- it's just that i don't eat a ton anyway.

i did both of the calorie counts that i saw listed here and now i feel even more confused. math is not my strong suit... are these numbers net or total...

fat to fit- Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2083

free dieting- Maintenance 1872. Fat Loss 1498. Extreme Fat Loss 1123

sighhhh
  • SJD_2013
    SJD_2013 Posts: 17
    Options
    bump !!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So here is my question for you guys out there. I have been using MFP for several months and been losing weight since June 2010. I have been maintaining around 1300 calories a day, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on how I feel. I usually don't eat back my exercise calories, but sometimes if I do, it's only between 100-200 of the calories I burn (I usually average 500-600 a day) I've had great success only eating this amount every day. So, I was very surprised to see that my ideal calorie intake should be over 1,700 calories based on my height/weight/etc. I have a very hard time believing that I could eat that much and still maintain my level of weight loss. So, should I continue with what I've been doing, or should I try and eat more and see? I'd really hate to start doing something different that will end up causing me to gain or not lose as much as I have been.

You've proven as many have you can lose weight with a slower metabolism - but why would you? it's slower weight loss too.

Because with a slower metabolism, all your daily activity is burning less too. You don't really burn that many calories in exercise, it's a tad less. You don't really have the deficit you think you have, it's a tad less.

While it is recommended to keep the goal loss low to be more sustainable, that's not because the body is forced to do that, but rather the choice to do that so the body doesn't slow BMR down.

I'm really surprised you haven't stalled yet, eating at 1400-1500 and burning off maybe 400-500 of that daily. But a real BMR of 1000 can still experience loss.

You also don't have the flexibility to have a splurge day and not have as much impact from it, because 300 extra cal's for your body is decent % increase, but not to someone eating 1700.

You'll also have an easier time sliding into goal weight and changing to maintenance if your BMR is burning fully. Otherwise you risk trying to eat at maintenance, and gaining real weight as you have real surplus then.
    Better to have potential gain now and keep losing, then get discouraged at the end when you gain.
  • heybales
    Options
    i have been around 137/8 for a while. i was around 141 at the beginning of the year, and i lost back what i gained. in january/february i got serious & started going back to the gym again. i go 5x a week normally and my exercises vary (cardio, swimming, weights, yoga). i also started using mfp daily again. yet, in those 13 weeks i have only lost 3-4 lbs

mfp had me at 1240 calories- i went to bed starving. so i thought i needed to bump up- i jumped on a thread and decided to bump my calories up. i was told to set mfp for my goal weight and to select maintain- that put me at 1650 calories.

so while 1240 is too little it seems that 1650 is too many. i did a fitness test at my gym, met with a trainer and they both told me to up what i was eating per meals (keep meals below 700)- so i have- i try to keep my meals around 500... but tonight i got back from the gym and the had 800 calories to make up- at 8pm!!!!! i can't eat like that- so tonight i am going to bed still 200 calories under- no wonder this isn't working.

i just need to know how many calories to eat- i get that i need to eat back my exercise calories- but i just need to know a good daily goal that is feasible. give me a number and i will eat that! on the days i burn 400 calories- i just don't think i can physically eat 2000 total calories. it's not that i'm scared of eating more- it's just that i don't eat a ton anyway.

fat to fit- Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2083

2000 daily - do not eat back exercise calories. (as long as that table was built on goal weight you entered correctly)

Now you can plan your days easier with no big amounts to eat at night. 500 each for 3 meals, 250 each for 2 snacks. Or 400 each. Or any combo you can do. And don't forget calorie dense foods. Your body just needs energy to raise metabolism, nothing wrong with serving of peanut butter. Nice fat and protein, probably help sleep better.
  • hannp
    hannp Posts: 34
    Options
    I have a question for you all, Please dont abuse me or whatever
    So my daily calorie goal is 1200
    most days i eat around 800 - 1000. But in saying that I do eat. I have apples and yoghurt for breaky, normally a filling samwhich for lunch, dont really snack much as im at uni full time and busy. Then at dinner I have an average size meal, normally healthy like chicken and veggies. I also work off roughly 300 calories.
    This leaves me with a net of like 500-700 most days. The thing is i always feel full but im so scared my body is going to go into starvation mode.
    So what am i supposed to do, if im honestly just not hungry anymore?
    Am i just supposed to down 2 chocolate bars too make up the rest?

By the way I've been doing this for a weekish now and have lost 2 pounds
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Aaaah LOVE this post! Need to add my two cents too.....
    Upped my calories from about 1300 to 1500/1600 in the past three weeks as I've just plateau'd and I've dropped 3.3lbs in that period. I'm eating about 1900/2000 calories a day (cause I'm eating most of my exercise calories back too) :happy:

Now who wouldn't WANT to eat more????

Just remember....eating junk wont give you the same, lean results....eating "clean" and healthy does it.
  • THINandFABULOUS
    Options
    Could someone please tell me what I should be setting my cal intake to?

According to fitnessfrog.com, my stats are as follows:
    RMR: 1285
    BMR: 1301
    TDEE- with little or no exercise: 1561
    TDEE- with light exercise: 1789
    TDEE- with moderate exercise: 2017
    TDEE- with heavy exercise: 2244
    TDEE- with daily exercise: 2472

I usually exercise anywhere from 45-80 mins a day, 5-6 days a week.
    Would appreciate the help, thank you! :)
  • heybales
    Options
    I have a question for you all, Please dont abuse me or whatever
    So my daily calorie goal is 1200
    most days i eat around 800 - 1000. But in saying that I do eat. I have apples and yoghurt for breaky, normally a filling samwhich for lunch, dont really snack much as im at uni full time and busy. Then at dinner I have an average size meal, normally healthy like chicken and veggies. I also work off roughly 300 calories.
    This leaves me with a net of like 500-700 most days. The thing is i always feel full but im so scared my body is going to go into starvation mode.
    So what am i supposed to do, if im honestly just not hungry anymore?
    Am i just supposed to down 2 chocolate bars too make up the rest?

By the way I've been doing this for a weekish now and have lost 2 pounds

There is a big difference between you feeling full, and your body being fully fed. Just understand, appreciate, and keep telling yourself that.

Don't feel hungry after a workout - who cares, you eat because you know the body needs it.

So yes, you need to eat more food if you want to lose weight. Because at the low end of the eating scale, it is so much easier for the metabolism to slow down, and you'll be eating at maintenance level in no time.

But worse than that, when you eat that low, you cannot replenish your glucose/carb stores, and when those run out with several days of exercise, your muscle must be broken down to make glucose for your brain.

This is not starvation, that takes no eating to reach, and then fat burning is turned off.

You just have such a slow BMR you have very little calories being burned in general.

Eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, one associated with your workout.

Do NOT eat any low or no-fat versions of anything. Full fat milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, ect.
    Eat almonds and cashews, good needed fats.
    Eat fatty vegetables - olives and the oil, avocados and guacamole.

Start slow, adding about 200 per day for a week, and then another 200 for another week, ect.

And stop exercising for a week - you aren't doing yourself any favors by having the exercise get the calories first, and your BMR for basic functions of life is getting what is left.
    Really, of what use is the exercise then if your body can't even repair and rebuild what the exercise has done? Plus the muscle burning going on.

That would be like getting your car detailed when you know the chassis is rusting out and the motor has had no maintenance for many years and burns oil - what's the point!

And yes actually, dark chocolate. When you can plan on the same calories everyday, you can plan on treats. 200 for a serving of some dark version is just great. Plus you get needed carbs to replenish what the workouts took. Once the week is up.

I'm sure you've lost 2 lbs, it only takes a deficit of 600 carb calories to burn a pound of muscle. Which is what you burn through on low calorie diet when exercising.
  • heybales
    Options

2200 TDEE minus 20% = 1760 daily eat, no exercise calories eaten back.

Expected deficit of 440, almost 1lb weekly.
  • THINandFABULOUS
    Options

and just to clarify again, 1760 is what I should be eating on days even with exercise?
  • heybales
    Options

and just to clarify again, 1760 is what I should be eating on days even with exercise?

Everyday. What should happen is your rest day and recovery day allow catch up.

At least I hope you have a couple recovery days in there, slower pace, less intensity, ect.
    The benefits of a workout can only be obtained if the body can recover from them and improve. If it can't, your performance will just slow down. If this is a higher eating level, you'll get some benefit there at least, but limited with no recovery days.

Oh yeah, as weight drops 10 lbs, you must do the calc again and manually adjust the goal.
  • THINandFABULOUS
    Options

Everyday. What should happen is your rest day and recovery day allow catch up.

At least I hope you have a couple recovery days in there, slower pace, less intensity, ect.
    The benefits of a workout can only be obtained if the body can recover from them and improve. If it can't, your performance will just slow down. If this is a higher eating level, you'll get some benefit there at least, but limited with no recovery days.
    Oh okay, I understand now. Phew! Thank you for explaining that to me. Much appreciated. :)
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Quick question - I have upped my calories for the past week. Stayed within 1600 to 2000 depending on exercise and non-exercise days. The scale hasn't been kind. I don't expect miracles and have no problem with continuing and showing patience. I'm just curious if anyone else has had this problem of not seeing "immediate" results and how long before they were able to see a difference on the scale or in clothing?
    Thanks.
  • hannp
    hannp Posts: 34
    Options
    Thank you heaps, I guess I'll just increase my intake and find time for snack in my day
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Quick question - I have upped my calories for the past week. Stayed within 1600 to 2000 depending on exercise and non-exercise days. The scale hasn't been kind. I don't expect miracles and have no problem with continuing and showing patience. I'm just curious if anyone else has had this problem of not seeing "immediate" results and how long before they were able to see a difference on the scale or in clothing?
    Thanks.

You have to give it at least a month, and likelihood is that you will gain in either your first or second weeks. I had a small loss first week, then a HUGE gain the second week, I lost all of the huge gain the third week.
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What should I be eating please? I am showing a gain since last week which I know isn't right as I haven't gone wrong anywhere. I am currently on 1350 cals, eat all of my exercise cals and am set at a 2lb rate of loss.

RMR - 1671
    BMR - 1688

TDEE - No Exercise - 2025, Light Exercise - 2321 or Mod exercise - 2616

I don't actually exercise every day as such, but do walk into town with my daughter in her pushchair most days, takes me roughly 50 mins altogether. I then do small amounts of aerobics and toning every other day usually for around 15-20 mins.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

You have to give it at least a month, and likelihood is that you will gain in either your first or second weeks. I had a small loss first week, then a HUGE gain the second week, I lost all of the huge gain the third week.

Thank you. That's encouraging. Onward and upward...(or hopefully downward)
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I just upped my calories, too, and I'm waiting for Friday morning weigh in to see if it worked. *fingers crossed*