So is steel cut oatmeal the best?

Options
2»

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I had instant oatmeal today, and nearly ralphed :sick: I forgot how gross all other oatmeal is compared to steel-cut oats.

I cook 1 cup of oats, 3 cups liquid in my steel cooker overnight with various spices/fruit and it's enough to last for 5 breakfasts...and it's like having dessert for breakfast, yummm
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    I'm liking the idea of cooking up a batch for the week - the time thay take to cook is what has put me off before.

My question is as I am also someone who can't eat oatmeal made with water :sick: if I make a batch with milk is it going to keep for 5 days in the fridge?.... or can they be soaked overnight then just heated or would they still need some cooking time?

• Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Yes. It is the best. It beats all the other foods. All the other foods are jealous.

I haven't actually laughed out loud at something on here for ages

Hahha love that response

(I'm stil giggling)
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It has a chewier texture and is more filling. I'm not as hungry as fast when I eat it. I use 1/4 c oats, 3/4 c water and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 30 min stirring occasionally. That's when I stalk the internet. I use to add a tbsp of maple syrup but realized it was just a waste of calories and sugar so I stopped and didn't notice. I add a tbsp of ground flax seed and a tbsp of chia seeds with 1/4 c of skim milk. I prefer steel cut oats over anything else. I get it at the bulk food store. They have an organic section at mine.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats take longer to cook because they haven't been processed as much. They are great when done in a crockpot/slow cooker. Here's a recipe. I'm sure you can adjust the amount to make more to last through the week.

Almond blast oatmeal
    Nutrition Data (Makes approximately 2 cups)
    Serving Size: 1/2 cup Calories: 129 Total Fat: 6 g Saturated Fat 4 g Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 0 mg Sodium 72 mg Total Carbohydrate: 14 g Dietary Fiber: 3 g Sugars: 0 g Protein: 5 g

Ingredients
    1/2 cup steel cut oats
    1 cup light coconut milk, unsweetened
    1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
    2 tsp. dry coconut flakes, unsweetened, low fat
    1 tbsp. cocoa powder, unsweetened
    1/4 cup almonds (optional)
    Directions

In your slow cooker, combine the oats, coconut milk, almond milk, coconut flakes and cocoa powder and whisk until the cocoa powder is well incorporated into the milk.
    Cook on low for 4-5 hours, or until liquid is completely soaked up by the oats.
    When finished, stir in the almonds (optional), allow to cool and serve.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    So many responses to this are so funny! You guys crack me up.

So oats are pretty highly processed, including smashing, cooking or partially cooking, rolling and cutting. And each step in those multiple processes tends to leach a bit of the nutrients and break down a bit of the fiber. So more processed means a bit less nutritious. Steel cut oats are one of the least processed types, just cut instead of smashed, cooked, rolled, etc. So you could assume they have more nutrients and higher fiber.

I like them - even if they do take 8 years to cook!

:laugh:
  • Gogobecky
    Gogobecky Posts: 18
    Options
    That Almond Blast Oatmeal sounds AWESOME! But my crock pot is a 5-6 qt, so for me to do enough I'd be eating Oatmeal every meal for the next year! ;)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    That Almond Blast Oatmeal sounds AWESOME! But my crock pot is a 5-6 qt, so for me to do enough I'd be eating Oatmeal every meal for the next year! ;)

no law says you have to fill up the whole crockpot. pretend its a smaller crockpot. works the same