Why do people focus so much on the scale?

Options

Replies

• amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Between July and February, I gained weight.

strength-training.jpg

Ask me if I care. :happy:

Yeah you are beautiful congrats. You look amazing.
  • amymrls
    Options
    Isn't losing a pants size and going to smaller sizes just as much proof that you are doing better and getting healthier? What about healthy blood draws from your dr saying you are doing fantastic? What about looking in the mirror and just saying DAMN I am lookin good. I am a different person!

I recently did some bloodwork for my insurance policy and they bumped me up to an elite status because they said I was very healthy....I am only a third of the way to my weightloss goal but that news truely made me happier than what the scale says.

You are doing awesome and look beautiful!

Go you! Good job that is fantastic and you should feel great!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Same reason as that you got on the scale and have dropped weight here on MFP. You have a "goal weight". You have a ticker..When you talk to people do you say I lost blank inches..No you Say I lost over 100 POUNDS..

The scale matters...especially in the womens world. Of course "size" matters as well..You can say I am now a size 2 and people say WOW. but maybe you arent a size 2 but lost 50 pounds so when you tell people that they say WOW..Its all how we see accomplishment.
  • amymrls
    Options
    Same reason as that you got on the scale and have dropped weight here on MFP. You have a "goal weight". You have a ticker..When you talk to people do you say I lost blank inches..No you Say I lost over 100 POUNDS..

The scale matters...especially in the womens world. Of course "size" matters as well..You can say I am now a size 2 and people say WOW. but maybe you arent a size 2 but lost 50 pounds so when you tell people that they say WOW..Its all how we see accomplishment.
    Also when people have a lot of weight to lose they tend to give up if they don't see it drop. If you keep it up you actually get somewhere. I will also never be a size 2 I am 5'10"
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you a story.

I was recently at my mothers house, and she showed me a picture of myself at 15. I was probably about.. oh.. 190lbs. There's a picture of me almost 400 lbs more then that somewhere. (Holy crap, I just did the math, I'm closer to what I weighed at 15 now then I am to my ultimate heaviest). In my messed up little head I weigh the same, I can't honestly not tell the difference. It's a total mental image, but I can promise you nobody gets to be a few hundred pounds overweight without that same issue.

That's why I weigh myself.

Because honestly other then people blowing smoke up my butt, that's the only way I can personally tell I'm losing weight, all the NSV be darned.

EDIT - I can tell the difference in the pictures obviously, I'm not that crazy.
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    I suppose its because media only focuses on the weight number. You'll be more likely to hear "So-and-so lost 50 pounds! They now weigh 120 pounds" rather than "so-and-so lost 5 inches off their waist and 4 inches off their hips!" you know? So, people are more obsessive with the weight number rather than the measurement number. Plus, people are more likely to ask "How much do you weigh?" not "What are your measurements?" so, once again, people get caught up in wanting a smaller weight number more because its just talked about more.

I totally agree. People focus on the scale because that is where the emphasis is placed. I spent the better part of my life trying to compete with "the skinny girls" based on weight, but I never could compete because I have an athletic build. Instead of being thankful that I build muscle easily, I focused on being a certain weight or a certain size b/c that is what I thought was "skinny". One day I FINALLY got it through my thick skull that muscle weighs more than fat but is DENSER...ie smaller...than the same weight in fat. Nowadays I celebrate NSVs instead...
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Yes, but then why have a ticker at the bottom of your posts showing your weight loss? :smile: I don't mean to be snarky, please don't take offense. I get what you're saying--the general focus has just always been on pounds over inches. It's all about changing our mindsets, as you, I, and others who've been at this a while have learned :smile:

And congrats on your progress, very inspiring!!

You obviously did write this to be "snarky" and you OBVIOUSLY have not read all my posts on this thread.

No, I didn't read all the posts on this thread as this is a lengthy thread, I was just responding to the original post. I'm sorry you took offense to my post. I was just pointing out an irony but my compliment to you was sincere and I did understand where you were coming from. I'm not here to insult fellow MFPers and I still wish you success on the rest of your journey, whether you believe it or not.
  • amymrls
    Options
    Let me tell you a story.

I was recently at my mothers house, and she showed me a picture of myself at 15. I was probably about.. oh.. 190lbs. There's a picture of me almost 400 lbs more then that somewhere. (Holy crap, I just did the math, I'm closer to what I weighed at 15 now then I am to my ultimate heaviest). In my messed up little head I weigh the same, I can't honestly not tell the difference. It's a total mental image, but I can promise you nobody gets to be a few hundred pounds overweight without that same issue.

That's why I weigh myself.

Because honestly other then people blowing smoke up my butt, that's the only way I can personally tell I'm losing weight, all the NSV be darned.

EDIT - I can tell the difference in the pictures obviously, I'm not that crazy.

Good thing you can tell in pics =)
  • amymrls
    Options
    I suppose its because media only focuses on the weight number. You'll be more likely to hear "So-and-so lost 50 pounds! They now weigh 120 pounds" rather than "so-and-so lost 5 inches off their waist and 4 inches off their hips!" you know? So, people are more obsessive with the weight number rather than the measurement number. Plus, people are more likely to ask "How much do you weigh?" not "What are your measurements?" so, once again, people get caught up in wanting a smaller weight number more because its just talked about more.

I totally agree. People focus on the scale because that is where the emphasis is placed. I spent the better part of my life trying to compete with "the skinny girls" based on weight, but I never could compete because I have an athletic build. Instead of being thankful that I build muscle easily, I focused on being a certain weight or a certain size b/c that is what I thought was "skinny". One day I FINALLY got it through my thick skull that muscle weighs more than fat but is DENSER...ie smaller...than the same weight in fat. Nowadays I celebrate NSVs instead...

Go you! That is awesome =)
  • traceybarbour
    traceybarbour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I feel some of us still need that conformation that when we put in the hard work that it is actually paying off. I know I can look like I weigh under 200 lbs even when I am not but I want to know that I am.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    1. I haven't lost any inches, in fact I've gained inches in the worst possible areas. So tape measures and clothes won't show me my "weight loss"

2. I did have a few people tell me that I look a lot smaller, but mind you these are also people paying me for my time with them

3. The number gives me something to look forward to, no matter if I gain 1lb or lose 3lb. It let's me know where I stand for the week and gives me an idea if I should change something up

4. I paid over $100 for my scale so I'm gonna use the damn thing!!

5. It doesn't bother me what other people do. If people like and depend on the scale then let them.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    SOME people who are overweight are insecure,

(the REALLY insecure one's are the one's who scream the loudest that they aren't insecure at all)

Gaining control over my body and my weight problem was something I wanted more than anything. I was ashamed of my failure in controlling it and was embarassed for anyone else to know exactly how much I weighed........\

When I started this battle I was angry, and I wanted to confront my enemy every single morning......seeing the scales go down was proof I was beating it and watching them go up was a warning to change up my game and stay on my guard!.....when you've fought the battle I've fought it's tough to let your guard down and walk away from that daily challenge..... it's not about a number anymore......it's about never letting the enemy get comfortable :)
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options

strength-training.jpg

You can't tell :) You look great!! WTG
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I myself am guilty of checking the numbers on the scale at least twice a week :( and even though I see certain areas shrinking, the numbers on the scale still dissapoint because im not losing as much or as fast as I would like. :(
  • sassylm22
    sassylm22 Posts: 54
    Options
    so true!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

strength-training.jpg

Feckin' amazing.

What kind of strength training are you doing?
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    The numbers are important to at least 2 kinds of people

1. OCD, control, paranoia about odd numbers (i have this, 110 is a special number to me idk why), and need i say it again, CONTROL

2. people who are ignorant about weight and body composition. they equate low weight with low fat. and vice versa
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    The numbers are important to at least 2 kinds of people

1. OCD, control, paranoia about odd numbers (i have this, 110 is a special number to me idk why), and need i say it again, CONTROL

2. people who are ignorant about weight and body composition. they equate low weight with low fat. and vice versa
    You can't put ALL people into just two categories
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Isn't losing a pants size and going to smaller sizes just as much proof that you are doing better and getting healthier? What about healthy blood draws from your dr saying you are doing fantastic? What about looking in the mirror and just saying DAMN I am lookin good. I am a different person!

Yes it is and infact I feel happier since my scale battery died last fall and I have yet to replace it lol. I have weighed myself ONCE since the start of this year ( use to weigh myself daily) and I am so much more at peice with myself now than I was last year. But I have come alone way I started out at a VERY tight size 16 jeans (seven brand) and I`m currently rocking a size 8 (seven brand) my last known weight was 170 but that was weeks ago I have know clue if that # has changed or not and I really don`t care either lol I am very happy in my clothing and my life right now I`m active and playing with my kids again and loveing life :)

Oh and the two piece suit in my ticker will be on this summer :) it was my goal suit and will be the first two piece I`ve worn in years :) loving it
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options

strength-training.jpg

Love your progress i`m hoping to ton up somemore just started kettel bell workouts and some free weights to help. You look fab :)