Singing at the gym?

Options
13»

Replies

• saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I go to a pretty small gym and most people only listen to headphones when they are doing cardio, then if you have enough wind to sing, go for it!

I would like to comment about the gym's where people all wear headphones and kind of act like toddlers at the playgound... in thier own world. I personally don't like it, I have met many interesting people at my gym and occasionally shooting the **** with them was not devastating to my work- out, or spotting for someone did not ruin my day. I wonder if people wear the headphones because they are afraid to talk to other people? Maybe they have nothing interesting to say? This has allways turned me off about some of the bigger gyms. Especially when you go about the same time everyday, it is nice to connect to some people, am I wrong about this?

The people at the gym I go to usually wear headphones only in the cardio area to "get in the zone", myself included. Makes 30 minutes of being on a machine go by faster. But at the strengthening machines and in the weight room, people are always having a conversation, friend or stranger. I keep my member card on a lanyard around my neck and one day struck up a conversation with an older gentleman who liked the design and wanted to know where I got it. I've also joined in with conversations in the weight room. Now, that being said I'm not a social person and the more fit members intimidate me so I do like my time to myself as far as headphones go. And some people do that. They tune out everything, get what they're there for done, and leave. I always assume they're the ones on tight schedules.
  • sidhe31
    sidhe31 Posts: 96
    Options
    Perhaps my gym etiquette is a bit old fashioned, but none of the gyms I work out in would tolerate singing. Mobile phones are banned as well. Even music is a rarity, mostly limited to the treadmills and exercise bikes. Basic consideration for others in the gym says that noise should be kept to a minimum. If you need music to work out to, fine, but keep it at a level that is appropriate so that it does't bother others who choose to keep their ears free from headphones.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I go to a pretty small gym and most people only listen to headphones when they are doing cardio, then if you have enough wind to sing, go for it!

I would like to comment about the gym's where people all wear headphones and kind of act like toddlers at the playgound... in thier own world. I personally don't like it, I have met many interesting people at my gym and occasionally shooting the **** with them was not devastating to my work- out, or spotting for someone did not ruin my day. I wonder if people wear the headphones because they are afraid to talk to other people? Maybe they have nothing interesting to say? This has allways turned me off about some of the bigger gyms. Especially when you go about the same time everyday, it is nice to connect to some people, am I wrong about this?

The people at the gym I go to usually wear headphones only in the cardio area to "get in the zone", myself included. Makes 30 minutes of being on a machine go by faster. But at the strengthening machines and in the weight room, people are always having a conversation, friend or stranger. I keep my member card on a lanyard around my neck and one day struck up a conversation with an older gentleman who liked the design and wanted to know where I got it. I've also joined in with conversations in the weight room. Now, that being said I'm not a social person and the more fit members intimidate me so I do like my time to myself as far as headphones go. And some people do that. They tune out everything, get what they're there for done, and leave. I always assume they're the ones on tight schedules.

That's a good atmosphere! It is good to be validated by other people and people who exercise are kind of a 'special' group. You will probably stick to it longer if you feel like a part of gym, rather than going to the gym. Almost everyone listens to music doing cardio, I usually do that and watch 'The Chew' on TV.....
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Perhaps my gym etiquette is a bit old fashioned, but none of the gyms I work out in would tolerate singing. Mobile phones are banned as well. Even music is a rarity, mostly limited to the treadmills and exercise bikes. Basic consideration for others in the gym says that noise should be kept to a minimum. If you need music to work out to, fine, but keep it at a level that is appropriate so that it does't bother others who choose to keep their ears free from headphones.

I always thought I was born in the wrong decade...
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what I do when people at the office or the gym go off like they are auditioning for "The Voice," I simply start belting out "We all live in a yellow submarine" at the top of my lungs and all the off-key crooners that think they are so special tend to shut up.

:ohwell:

Like sidhe31, I don't feel I should be obligated to wear headphones just to block out annoying people in my immediate environment.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Another point worth mentioning is that if you can sing while on a cardio machine you probably aint exercising properly anyway. Just saying....