To any of you who have gotten their belly buttons pierced

Options
124»

Replies

• Getting2KnowMe
    Getting2KnowMe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Any modification you do to your body has the potential to scar. I have pierced my navel 3 different times. I have an entry and exit scar for 2 of them (the third was done through prior scar tissue). Everyone's body heals differently, it depends on how you take care of it and how long you have it in.

Chances are it will scar if you take it out. It's really about if you plan to get it done just to do it or get it done because you want it for life.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I had my belly button pierced right before i got married, then took it out about 8 months after the wedding when I got pregnant (it was really uncomfortable). Fast forward 7 years, was finished having kids, but had a smallish but noticeable scar. Had it repierced as a celebration of reaching a size 12....love it again! I found out after it had closed that I could have run a silk thread thru during pregnancy so it wouldn't close, but it was too late and I had no idea who would have the right kind of thread.
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I never take mine out, so not sure about scar!
    I love mine, can't imagine looking myself in the mirror and not seeing it there.

:)
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I never take mine out, so not sure about scar!
    I love mine, can't imagine looking myself in the mirror and not seeing it there.

:)

Oh yes I know that one - from time to time I take mine out to see what I'd look like with a normal belly button - it freaks me out! But then I have had it pierced longer than not in my life, so that's no surprise really :)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I took mine out when I was pregnant, and never put it back because my belly didn't look good afterward. The hole is still there, but there's no scar tissues.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It does scar on almost all people, because the way it is done and the way the skin is. it slowly rides over time and causes a line like scar. But it is a small scar and worth it if its something you really want.

(Im a professional piercer)
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    First, unless you're 5 years old, it's your navel, not your belly button...

so after age 5 no one is allowed to say belly button? :huh:

You're allowed, of course, but you should have the intelligence NOT to... Everyone is allowed to be stupid, or act that way...

Every tattoo artist/piercer that I know charges extra when people say "bellybutton"... Stupidity tax.

Just an FYI... dumbing yourself down does not make you cute.

Geeez..where in the hell did that come from?

BAHAHAH. I'm sure that all the tattoo artists/piercers are just as pretentious as you :)
    No worries.
    "Dumbing yourself down"? Wearing a hat with a goddamn face on it and correcting something that nearly EVERYONE says does not make you cute... It makes you a *****.
    FYI.

^ Im a piercer and a tattoo shop owner and it in no way bothers me when people call it a belly botton, naval, who cares, I know what they are talkign about either way.... And ppl who say things like that about people in my field is why ppl think those of us in this industry are aholes, but we are not.... sorry to burst your bubble we are regular people too.
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have had mine in for 11 years so I'm not sure if the hole would close if I removed it... That said, I have taken out the following piercings and they healed just fine: nostril piercing, septum piercing, nipple piercings, bilateral industrial piercings. I also had my lobes stretched at one point and those too are normal earring sized holes now. The only thing you can still see are two places on my tongue that used to be pierced.

Piercings are certainly less permanent than tattoos!
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    got mine done, oh, 22 years ago. (yes, when i was 18)

i went through 3 pregnancies with it. and it never ever bothered me.

do eet!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Pictures are worth 1000 words ladies.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Mine did scar. But it had never really healed and I'd had it for about 7 years and it kept on getting infected. I finally took it out for good halfway thru a longhaul flight home from New Zealand when the seatbelt was rubbing on it & it got inflamed.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Scar how? Like if you take it out and let the hole close?

Mine closed up but only at the bottom. The top is still open. Like I have a hole in mt belly. I could reopen it myself but I'm too much of a sissy to try :laugh:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I had mine done about 10 years ago and took my belly ring out 4 or 5 years ago.
    You can still see both parts of the hole, it looks as though I could probably still put a ring in if I wanted too... must try it sometime!
    Be very cautious about where you get it done though and follow their instructions to the letter - mine got an infection and it took a really long time to clear up, it was pretty nasty for a while there. I had my nose done around the same time with no problems, I think there is much less blood supply to the navel area so it didnt' heal as fast.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    You are poking a hole.. through your skin... of course its going to scar...

I had mine done, the scaring is minimal (and I scar horribly)... if you want it done do it.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    meh tiny scar thats about it .....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    First, it's your navel, not your belly button...

Belly button.

Belly button.

Belly button.

Belly button.

I think I'm going to use that term every opportunity I have from now on.

Sorry, OP. I have no answer except that ears scar after piercing so I would imagine the BELLY BUTTON would, too. It's such a tiny hole, though, that I doubt it would be very noticeable.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I had mine pierced when I was 18. I took it out when I was 22. I'm 32 now and it's a dark scar. It's fugly but you can only see it if you're looking up close to that area.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    You're allowed, of course, but you should have the intelligence NOT to... Everyone is allowed to be stupid, or act that way...

Every tattoo artist/piercer that I know charges extra when people say "bellybutton"... Stupidity tax.

I find this incredibly funny, my piercer is almost 40, has 2 kids and still refers to it as a belly button piercings - I just called the shop and asked if she had a "stupidity tax" for people that call them belly button piercings and she said "um... that would be stupid and I would lose a lot of business so no why?" I told her what you said and she has confirmed that she would include a stupidity tax for someone like you though.
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    First, unless you're 5 years old, it's your navel, not your belly button...

so after age 5 no one is allowed to say belly button? :huh:

The anatomical correct term is umbilicus but I won't hold it against you.

Just an FYI, pretentious doesn't look good on anyone.