What to say when people ask you your weight

Options
Ok, so I know I'm over weight. There was a time I was almost 200 lbs heaver than I am now. I knew I was over weight then too. It used to always make me sick to my stomach when people would be so rude as to ask. "How much do you weigh" like it was their business. Right? I finally found an answer that put a stop to that in just a heartbeat. I would look at them and smile softly and answer "You know, Dear, I will forgive you for asking if you forgive me for not answering." Usually they don't want to continue the conversation any further. You aren't being ugly, just giving an appropriate answer to such a rude question.

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I've only been asked that once, and I just said "I don't share that number, but I will tell you how much I've lost".
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I only told one person what I weighed at the start (373 pounds) but did tell other how much I had lost (151 pounds so far). They all seem to be amazed that I have lost that much. I didn't look as heavy as I actually was.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Personally I think I would rather be UGLY when answering that question. Friends would never ask, those that do deserve what ever answer they get......
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I've never been asked, but I'd answer with my weight. I've never seen the question as rude, it's just a number or fact, like my hair or eye colour.
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I just tell them. I dont care what they think about my number.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I tell people how much I've lost (and how much I was at the start) but that's my choice. If I was asked I wouldn't even dignify it with an answer.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know I'm over weight. There was a time I was almost 200 lbs heaver than I am now. I knew I was over weight then too. It used to always make me sick to my stomach when people would be so rude as to ask. "How much do you weigh" like it was their business. Right? I finally found an answer that put a stop to that in just a heartbeat. I would look at them and smile softly and answer "You know, Dear, I will forgive you for asking if you forgive me for not answering." Usually they don't want to continue the conversation any further. You aren't being ugly, just giving an appropriate answer to such a rude question.

Most times people can make an educated guess.
    Why people are so embarrassed or treat it like it's some big world secret, I don't know.

If you're fat, people can tell. Period.
  • twilighttabby
    twilighttabby Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just tell them. I don't care how they feel about me.
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    I've never been asked, but I'd answer with my weight. I've never seen the question as rude, it's just a number or fact, like my hair or eye colour.

I agree, mostly. I think it really depends on who is asking. For the most part I think it is just ignorant to ask and a little stupid. What is a number going to tell you? Nothing. You see my body, that tells you better than any number. I could be 6 feet and weigh 160 pounds and have a high body fat percentage or be the same height and weight and be mostly muscle.
  • TopazCarey
    TopazCarey Posts: 263
    Options
    Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever been asked my weight. But at this point in my journey, I think I'd tell the truth (unlike the weight I listed on my dl). I'd make sure to mention how much I've lost too, I think I'd feel good about it.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If I did get asked, all I would say is alot. but I'm working on it. :)
  • natashamcn
    natashamcn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I tell them I haven't weighed myself in almost 3 years (the truth) but I'm probably close to 130 (also the truth). I then ask them how much they weigh :laugh:
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I tell people my weight when asked. I don't really like to but I think its helpful for women to know that you don't have to be 110 lbs to look good.
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    Sometimes I'll tell people the real number, but if they are being snide I'll make up whatever ridiculous number pops into my head.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    People often ask how much i've lost and a few times how much I weigh. I weigh 166lbs and I am happy to report it since a year ago my answer was 230! People don't mean to be ignorant. People make me fell bad now because they say "wow that much?"... Like thanks girls (guys never ask me they know better).
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    Only this week have people noticed that I am losing weight. Two people have looked at me with this look of doubt and said, "Have you lost some weight?" Like, another words, "hmmm, you look a little better than last week, but still look fat. Maybe it is just my eyes." LOL I want to be like, seriously?
    The people that have said, you look great, and you have lost weight, I enjoyed much more!
  • WiegandS
    WiegandS Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Re: Juwaack 68

I think I like that response. I usually say a number I can get away with. I'm about 150-151 right now, but I usually say something around 140. Until I'm at a weight where I am not embarrassed by the number I will continue to fib a little lol. BTW I saw that you lost over 100 pounds.. That is honestly so inspiring and you look fantastic.
  • katinthebox
    Options
    I use to avoid that question at all costs though I would whine about needing to lose weight. When I decided to get serious and accept responsibility I posted my weight here, on run keeper, facebook, and tweeted it. When I owned it, I found it freeing and I could quit hiding, quit making excuses and get on with it.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Its funny...I used to hate it. but I actually tell people how much I wt for my job! Thank god most people are polite when they ask, they are very nice about it and I don't care I'm proud of where I am even if I'm 205lbs...lol But it is interesting how rude people are and how much fat bias there is in society. Still one of the last acceptable biases out there.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I say "230ish" right now... I used to say 270 when I was 270... I had no issue with people knowing my weight.