What to say when people ask you your weight

Options

Replies

• ProjectLGD
    Options
    My Mom told me to say this to any rude NOYB type questions: "I tell you if you tell me WHY you want to know."
  • jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When your weight is part of your job it's not really a secret, although then you do have to deal with some REALLY rude comments! When I'm talking to people about how much I've been working at getting back in shape, it comes up and people NEVER believe I weigh as much as I do, I actually had a medic make me get on a scale because he thought I was lying. But I don't mind telling them, because to me, it's always better than what it used to be, and that makes me proud of what I have accomplished! All totalled from my absolute heaviest weight I'm down 50 lbs, and I just remind myself that when I get discouraged.

However at my lightest weight (15 lbs down from where I am now) I did have someone tell me I needed to lose 20 lbs. I was PISSED OFF, but I'm in the military, where physical fitness is part of my job description, and I just had to remind myself that he was probably looking out for me and trying to help me really reach that next level. Sometimes you just have to take a step back and ask yourself WHY are they asking about it?
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I just tell them.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'd just say what I weigh, as I've never really seen the big deal with it - although it entirely depends on the situation.

Someone commenting on your size in a not so positive way, and including "what do you weigh" alongside, I think that's very rude, just as anybody who judges you on your answer is being insensitive and rude.
    However, if a friend or even acquaintance asked, after I was mentioning losing weight or something similar (fitness, working out), I would not think anything wrong with that whatsoever. I have spoken to a couple of guys at the gym before about future strength goals / powerlifting etc and been asked what I weighed. I just told them. I've also had friends ask what I weigh, when I've mentioned MFP or losing weight recently.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would just tell them...
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm not sensitive at all about how much I weigh, I'm completely honest about it. I stepped on a scale and posted the picture to Facebook before I started my journey. It has been holding me accountable ever since. Every 20 pounds I'll post a new one, too.

I'm Alicia and I weigh 181.2 pounds today. :)
  • tf5_bassist
    tf5_bassist Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For me, most people were surprised when I'd tell them I weighed 255-ish. Now that I'm down to 230-235 area, I'm glad to say that I've lost 20+ pounds, but still... At least it was a good thing to know that when I'd answer people with my older amount, they'd look at me like I was crazy. haha.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I suppose context is a huge factor here, but truly, unless someone is just being ugly by asking, why not just answer the question?
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Don't think I've ever been asked, but I'm actually quite embaressed about how much I weigh (especially how much I weighed before I started using MFP) - so I don't know if I'd really want to tell them or not
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I really don't mind. I'd just tell them x
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I really don't care if people know my weight. Often they are surprised by it. They think I weigh a lot less than I do.

I can see how you'd want to keep it private though, and unless you know someone very well, it's not an appropriate question to ask.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on who is asking. I've had a conversation about how much I've lost and how much I now weigh with my aunt and it was no problem. However, I feel uncomfortable when it's someone whom I don't know very well and haven't seen in a while. I'm proud of how much I've lost and I'm no longer embarrassed about my weight, but for some reason, and I don't really know why, I feel like it is none of their business.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    lol sorry but I don't find it's a rude question. It's like people getting upset when they get asked, "How much do you make a year?" Who cares they ask that? Either choose to answer or not. I personally don't give a flying crap. People are always concerned with "rudeness" but it's a simple question. If someone asks me then I tell them. Just like they ask me any personal question, I answer it. People are too uptight and get offended easily.
  • tiffnkailey
    tiffnkailey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I tell them the truth, how much I weigh. Its not a secret that Im overweight. They have eyes, they can see it.
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    I tell them the truth, how much I weigh. Its not a secret that Im overweight. They have eyes, they can see it.

This. didn't look "fat" more chubby at the start I'd say, but even still it's clear I wasn't a fitness model. haha.
  • katheharwood
    katheharwood Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the replies here...it really depends on the people and how the question was introduced into the conversation. If it's a circle of friends discussing health and fitness and such, then I think it's fine. However, if someone randomly throws the question out there to you out of topic, then I can only assume it's for vanity reasons and it really is none of their personal concern. I would prefer not to share my weight with those individuals.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I tell them if they ask. In fact, I've been known to tell people who don't ask.

Most people are surprised at how heavy my scale says I am - so if I can get one person to rethink judging themselves by their scale weight, I will have done a good deed.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you feel the question is rude. Whenever someone asks me that I just tell them. It's no big deal.
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have never minded saying how much I weighed. People are always surprised when they hear what I weigh, because they say that I don't look like I weigh that much. Which is a bit of a backhanded compliment, but it's just a number. I don't consider it rude. It's not like they're asking if I like going downstairs on my boyfriend or something like that.

Hahahaha! Like this one!!! People (acquaintances) usually seem to think I weigh a lot less than I do when I tell them... I have no problem telling my closest friends ever, cause I know they are supportive and I don't want to be in denial either. I've lost a total of 19# from my HW to CW; but I also eat healthy, CrossFit, and do physical therapy for a living, as well as have MANY active hobbies & interests; therefore I am very muscular also. I still have a good bit of "fat" weight to lose; but don't really know what my GW will be. I guess I've have more of a goal size rather than weight due to my muscular build... The question of "How much do you weigh?" as far as being rude however, would depend on the context & motivation of the person asking the question, in my opinion...
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the replies here...it really depends on the people and how the question was introduced into the conversation. If it's a circle of friends discussing health and fitness and such, then I think it's fine. However, if someone randomly throws the question out there to you out of topic, then I can only assume it's for vanity reasons and it really is none of their personal concern. I would prefer not to share my weight with those individuals.

Exactly!