sugar toxic

Options

Replies

• weathergirl320
    Options
    i saw this too. i posted it yesterday. where is the media frenzy like the "meat causes cancer" study??
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I think it's because it's common sense that eating far too much sugar can be bad.

It's not so much common sense that eating more than 3 oz of processed and/or grilled meat
    would pose a higher cancer risk.

Anything in large quantities is toxic. Water can kill you...etc.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Maybe because Lustig is a known fear mongerer?

Here is the full text of the study they reference in the article

Consumption of Fructose and High Fructose Corn Syrup Increase Postprandial Triglycerides, LDL-Cholesterol, and Apolipoprotein-B in Young Men and Women. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism August 17, 2011 jc.2011-1251

http://goo.gl/jfmxn 

My main takeaway from the study was maybe it's not that great of an idea to consume 25% of your daily cals in HFCS if you're sedentary and eating at maintenance or above. However there is a huge confounder in that in the outpatient phase of the study when they were consuming 25% of their cals in sugar, they ate ad lib, so it's possible they were chowing down on foods with lots of trans fats or stuff like that that could have lead to the elevated blood markers.

If we look at studies such as this one, which had intake much more controlled, subjects ate 43% of their daily cals in sucrose which is basically the same as HFCS and LDL decreased, however they were also eating in a deficit.

Metabolic and behavioral effects of a high-sucrose diet during weight loss. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Apr;65(4):908-15.

www.ajcn.org/content/65/4/908.full.pdf
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Just reposting Alan Aragon's blog post about Dr. Lustig here: http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Be sure to read the comments where Lustig gets his face handed to him on a silver platter by that pesky little thing called science.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    lol @ Lustig.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Just reposting Alan Aragon's blog post about Dr. Lustig here: http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Be sure to read the comments where Lustig gets his face handed to him on a silver platter by that pesky little thing called science.

Hahahaah sweeeeet. If sugar is toxic I'm dying a slow and pleasurable death.
  • Acg67
    Options
    lol @ Lustig.

Did you mean Dr LOLstig?
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    "Dr. Robert Lustig, a pediatric endocrinologist at the University of California, believes the high amount of sugar in the American diet, much of it in processed foods, is killing us."
    OK, that does not sounds crazy to me. I have to agree with that.

"And as Dr. Sanjay Gupta reports, new scientific research seems to support his theory that sugar is toxic, including some linking the excess ingestion of sugars to heart disease."
    That is widely believed. Ever seen Food Matters?

I don't understand the haters who posted before me. I have never heard of this Lustig guy but sounds like he is on the right path.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I am going to pass out soon just ate 25g of sugar in my oats. Everything can kill us even organic apples, bananas and meats.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    lol @ Lustig.

Did you mean Dr LOLstig?

apropos that his name actually translates to "funny" in english...
  • lilojoke
    Options

Hahahaah sweeeeet. If sugar is toxic I'm dying a slow and pleasurable death.

After those timbits you should have passed out in coma! Guess sugar is good! :D
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Did you see they took the word gullible out of the dictionary?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    In case everyone has forgotten... no one gets out of this thing alive.

Everything can kill us. Even water. So, I'm going to enjoy my life and not worry and fret about things so much. Stress can kill, ya know?
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Everything will kill you.
    Just enjoy.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    So, is heroine ok in moderation? Anthrax? Cyanide? I mean, if EVERYTHING is OK in moderation...

If no, than the rule doesn't work.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    about to go put some sugar in my second cup of coffee. real sugar.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    So, is heroine ok in moderation? Anthrax? Cyanide? I mean, if EVERYTHING is OK in moderation...

Who are you replying to? Who said everything is OK in moderation?
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Did you see they took the word gullible out of the dictionary?

I read somewhere if you say oranges very slowly it sounds like gullible
  • lilojoke
    Options
    Everything will kill you.
    Just enjoy.

^^^ THIS!!!
  • Acg67
    Options

Classic, first arguing against something that no one brought up, then citing the extreme to do so.